Randomness

dinny_g

Re: Randomness

Post by dinny_g »

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGey1HqGL/

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGey1CmxB/

:lol: - that’s genius. Never knew that before
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:14 am
:lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:24 am
Beany wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:53 am I mean, there's no point posting twitter threads because without an account, they're unreadable.
There's no point because you can't read it? Aw, poor Bean - just create another account FFS. The bots manage it all the time :lol:
I've done many disgusting, low, gutter scraping things in my life, but I've got my fucking limits ;)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:51 am https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGey1HqGL/

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGey1CmxB/

:lol: - that’s genius. Never knew that before
:lol: 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Yeah that’ll do you

NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Amazon pricing is rather random !
I now have lots of fuses.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Are they brake by wire?
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No idea, but I think that all BBW systems still have a physical connection? I don't think any car uses a true BBW system which has no connection between the brake pedal and actual braking system yet.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Just wondered whether it could possibly be an actual failure somewhere or just some attention seeking weirdo / user error like a lot of these things turn out to be.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

I’m calling bullshit.

Let’s assume it’s true that it both locked on full throttle and wouldn’t shift from drive to neutral. I refuse to believe that the mechanical brakes also refused to work.

I accept that - if you don’t really understand how brakes work - you could squeeze them and get everything so hot that it might feel like they aren’t there, but a couple of miles at 100+ will cool them sufficiently that I’m confident they could bring the car to a stop even with the power on.

Mrs mik’s e-trim has four pots & LARGE vented discs on the rear, with whopping great 6-pots on the front grabbing mahoosive vented and floating discs.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I'd be checking the floor mats first.

Good work by the Police though. Could easily have ended up stuck in a lane with a high risk of being rear ended.
Last edited by NGRhodes on Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'd be checking whether they'd been accidentally using the brake pedal as a footrest, too. :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

This isn't the first time is it? I remember a similar story before that turned out to be BS when the driver claimed the accelerator was stuck down when it really wasn't.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Toyota scandal in which they paid over $1 billion for nothing...
https://www.manufacturing.net/automotiv ... -it-seemed
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Ah, I listened to the podcast;

mik

Post by mik »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:39 pm Ah, I listened to the podcast;
That wasn't perfect (as they didn't fully explore how you can move the car from in-gear to neutral, or how you can switch off the engine, or how the vast majority of cars cut off the power to the engine if they detect simultaneous inputs from both accelerator and brake) but it was very good. Cheers. 8-)

It's a sad indictment on the US legal system that conclusions are drawn in one case and "everyone else" barrels in behind, leveraging that conclusion - despite the complete lack of evidence that the issue claimed actually occured, and despite the overwhelming evidence that it didn't (eg logs showing that the brake wasn't depressed). :?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Also worth noting that after 3 years of full access to Toyota technology, the plaintiffs were unable to reproduce the sticking throttle, including trying to trigger software bugs they claimed to have found (and the black box logging showed these supposed bugs had never ever been triggered).
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:49 pm I’m calling bullshit.

Let’s assume it’s true that it both locked on full throttle and wouldn’t shift from drive to neutral. I refuse to believe that the mechanical brakes also refused to work.

I accept that - if you don’t really understand how brakes work - you could squeeze them and get everything so hot that it might feel like they aren’t there, but a couple of miles at 100+ will cool them sufficiently that I’m confident they could bring the car to a stop even with the power on.

Mrs mik’s e-trim has four pots & LARGE vented discs on the rear, with whopping great 6-pots on the front grabbing mahoosive vented and floating discs.
Yep. Total bullshit. Wife told me about it a couple of nights ago and that was my first response. And AFAIK the i-pace is a fully hydraulic braking system, so no BBW. It will be user error in some way, shape or form.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:05 am
mik wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:49 pm I’m calling bullshit.

Yep. Total bullshit. Wife told me about it a couple of nights ago and that was my first response. And AFAIK the i-pace is a fully hydraulic braking system, so no BBW. It will be user error in some way, shape or form.
But, but, but someone (else) has to be responsible (and more importantly, liable!)
Cheers,

Ian