SecretSupercarOwner (not dead)

Simon

SecretSupercarOwner (not dead)

Post by Simon »

But has just specced his Senna.

I see he's not on the members list for this place so will send him a linky.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Re: SecretSupercarOwner (not dead)

Post by JLv3.0 »

Wonder how much the "push to drink system", aka a Camelbak, probably - costs to spec?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Not sure but I heard if you pay them extra they'll install the upgraded system with the button for the push to drink system where the clutch should be.

I think that one also includes "Camel-Toe™" stickers for the front wings.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

It all leaves me a bit cold...

Push to drink system - because you'll be doing such heroic stints on track that you'll dehydrate without it... :roll:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Agreed. Speccing that gets you maximum stupid points from me.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'm a McLaren fan, but yes, it does nothing for me either. And I totally echo the thoughts on the push-to-drink system - conjures up SERIOUS owners taking their TRACKWORK SERIOUSLY and needing to stay HYDRATED for MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE :roll:

Oh God I can hear that cunt Shmee nursing a lispy hard-on (tm) for it already.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Speaking of McLarens, one thing I was totally amazed by was the current prices of 12Cs - take a look at this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... ars&page=1

Mid 80s for a bona-fide supercar is pretty incredible. Equivalent 458s are £40,000 more. Completely slipped under my radar.

I was just starting to dribble about the prospect and then I did a bit of digging and there were some seriously unnerving videos on youtube of a guy that had had several and incurred bills such as £35,000 for repairing the suspension as the steering rack had shaved metal into the fluid and its shared with the dampers (reminds me of early Miuras where the 'box oil was shared with the engine :lol: ). Oh and £3,000 for a new lithium ion battery.

Maybe not then :?
Richard

Post by Richard »

DaveE wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:34 am Push to drink system - because you'll be doing such heroic stints on track that you'll dehydrate without it... :roll:
Just like buying a Senna in the first place, because you’ll be setting record breaking lap times....

It’s just a bit of fun. Silly fun for people who are rich enough not to care how it costs
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

GG. wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:49 am Speaking of McLarens, one thing I was totally amazed by was the current prices of 12Cs - take a look at this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... ars&page=1

Mid 80s for a bona-fide supercar is pretty incredible. Equivalent 458s are £40,000 more. Completely slipped under my radar.

I was just starting to dribble about the prospect and then I did a bit of digging and there were some seriously unnerving videos on youtube of a guy that had had several and incurred bills such as £35,000 for repairing the suspension as the steering rack had shaved metal into the fluid and its shared with the dampers (reminds me of early Miuras where the 'box oil was shared with the engine :lol: ). Oh and £3,000 for a new lithium ion battery.

Maybe not then :?
Can you buy a warranty like Porsche/Ferrari etc
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I've been lusting after a 12C recently too. From a quick read of Pistonheads, the extended McLaren warranty is absolutely essential, at £3500 pa it's "relatively" cheap. £1500 for a service so you're looking at minimum £5k pa running the car before other consumables and the luxuries like insurance & VED.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

12C is also the best looking McLaren IMO with the most cohesive design. After the 12C they bastardised the design to make it fit the corporate logo and P1 front and after that they sent every subsequent car to the ugly tree to have every stick thrown at it by the wind tunnel.
I’d buy one without the warranty and just risk it, not like you’re going to be doing mega miles.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Mito Man wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:13 pm I’d buy one without the warranty and just risk it, not like you’re going to be doing mega miles.
Or use Archer's solution - get the car driven around everywhere on a truck, overall it works out cheaper than fixing it every time it breaks :lol:

download.jpg
download.jpg (9.16 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
GG.

Post by GG. »

Extended warranty limited up to 12 years though by the looks of it so after that you're on your own. Still a few years yet for that 2011 car. Worse are some of the exclusions in the warranty:

i) Failure where the fault(s) could be reasonably stated by a qualified engineer appointed by the Administrator, to have been owing to a fault(s) present before commencement of the Warranty. Any such pre-existing fault(s) must be rectified before the Insurer’s obligation under this Warranty can come into effect.

iv) Where the part(s) which has failed can be considered as an Inherent Design Fault (IDF).

v) Track days: any failure incurred or caused as a result of or following a track day (unless the event is officially organised by McLaren Automotive Ltd).

xiii) The gradual reduction in operating performance of the vehicle commensurate with its age and mileage including (but not limited to):

a) Gradual loss of engine compression necessitating the repair of valves or rings

I've had dealers argue the toss on (i) before, particularly where you'd put a warranty on it after it had left the dealer network. (iv) is ridiculous and seems to be saying if its shit design on the part of McLaren you're not covered. Oh and you can't take it on a track day.

When the bills can be in the £35,000 range I would want the warranty to be more bulletproof than that. Plus, as with many extended warranties, the references to the "Administrator" (and the silly restriction below) implies that this is essentially a third party insurance based warranty, i.e. McLaren themselves are not standing behind it per se.

This is also amusing:

xviii) Loss directly or indirectly caused by (or contributed to by or arising from) any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:13 pm 12C is also the best looking McLaren IMO with the most cohesive design. After the 12C they bastardised the design to make it fit the corporate logo and P1 front and after that they sent every subsequent car to the ugly tree to have every stick thrown at it by the wind tunnel.
I’d buy one without the warranty and just risk it, not like you’re going to be doing mega miles.
I agreed with you about the 12C's looks at first, and yes the 650S did look silly and incoherent when it first came out - like the back didn't match the front etc. But now I think I just prefer the 650S of the two of them.

However, I remain resolute that I've _always_ liked the 12C/650S and not just since they've become 'cheap'. Would have one over a Fezza in a second if I was in the market for a supercar.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Some interesting stuff in the financial press today re McLaren too as their Q4 results have just been released plus a blurb about them restructuring the group to buy out Ron's shareholding. Not sure it seems to be reported on free new outlets just yet however.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Have got an email back from SSO saying he's registered and waiting for his registration to be approved, so I guess he'll show when Matty's done his bit.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm going to have to play nicely and not be rude about the Senna now aren't I :?
Simon

Post by Simon »

:D

I really don't like the look of the Senna, but then McLaren didn't design it to make it look nice, they designed it single-mindedly. It looks better in some colours than others, but I imagine they'll sell (or already have sold?) every single one they make.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think the normal Senna is an absolute carbuncle of a thing. The track only version they had at Geneva looked ace though. Maybe it's a case of if you're going to be extreme you need to go all the way.

An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

Still no F1 GTR Longtail though is it