The Weather Thread.

KevH18

Re: The Weather Thread.

Post by KevH18 »

Gavster wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:15 pm It's a supermoon tonight, rising around now. Have another look around 9.45pm when it will be quite low still, it should be a biggie
Came out to the coast to watch it rise. Got here about 10 minutes it just started to come up. Impressive sight! And just a small cloud obscuring the rise but able to see it fully now.

My phone does not do justice to it though. It's like I've taken a picture of the lamp across the room.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:28 pm If it’s affecting you that much perhaps you should consider a portable AC unit? One of things where once you buy one you wonder why you bothered struggling in the heat for so many years.
That's a really good idea. It is worth it because my work definitely slows down during these hot weeks. With 35ºC forecast at the start of next week too...
Last edited by Gavster on Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

KevH18 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:54 pm
Gavster wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:15 pm It's a supermoon tonight, rising around now. Have another look around 9.45pm when it will be quite low still, it should be a biggie
Came out to the coast to watch it rise. Got here about 10 minutes it just started to come up. Impressive sight! And just a small cloud obscuring the rise but able to see it fully now.

My phone does not do justice to it though. It's like I've taken a picture of the lamp across the room.
8-)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:35 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:28 pm If it’s affecting you that much perhaps you should consider a portable AC unit? One of things where once you buy one you wonder why you bothered struggling in the heat for so many years.
Lidl have them for £170 IIRC.

Confirmed:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/office-must-ha ... ner/p53256

Saw a couple of people with them in their trolleys tonight :lol:

I'm not sure I could justify £170 for the twice a year it gets to 25+ deg in the house meself.

Last place I worked had a portable AC unit....for the MDs office, for when the top floor of the office goes above 30DegC, which it does every fucking year.
Good shout :)

The local Lidl didn't have any, however Robert Dyas have a similar 7kBTU unit at £186 and then this 10kBTU for only £25 more so grabbed one

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/zephyrus-1 ... trol-white
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Smacks a little bit of "the world is burning, but fuck it, it can burn a bit more to keep me cool" :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:11 pm Smacks a little bit of "the world is burning, but fuck it, it can burn a bit more to keep me cool" :lol:
I'm sure the environment can take one more for the team...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I planted 500 trees last year, enough for everyone on here to run an AC without feeling guilty 😉
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I run a 20 year old car, not a new one, so I think the planet owes me a few tonnes of CO2 frankly.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Gavster wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:31 am
That's a really good idea. It is worth it because my work definitely slows down during these hot weeks. With 35ºC forecast at the start of next week too...
With the current energy prices? Are you insane? Mito still lives at home you know, he won't be making those kind of rash recommendations once he has his own place.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My AC bill is through my service charge as it’s a central unit installed in the carpark and as I’m paying £2800 a year it’s on all the time 😂

Got the portable one at my parents place - 1.3kwh at full beans so a couple quid a day for a few weeks use per year. Not even £50 a year 😂
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

There’s a very good reason why countries that regularly experience 30°C+ temps have aircon in offices, it helps people work. If you’ve ever lived and worked in a country like that you’ll get it.

With temperatures like this forecast next week, the real question is whether you can afford to take a couple of days off if you don’t have AC

insta image download hd
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

London forecast has increased to 40ºC on Monday 😭
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Lashing down here yesterday and today.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:37 am There’s a very good reason why countries that regularly experience 30°C+ temps have aircon in offices,
Every office I've worked in (and those I've fitted out) in this country has aircon. Only really shit places don't!
John

Post by John »

We've got a portable aircon unit in the house. It doesn't get a lot of use but when it's really needed it's fantastic, getting into a cool bed is bliss when the weather is scorchio.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gavster wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:35 pm London forecast has increased to 40ºC on Monday 😭
and a Red Heat Warning :shock:
There must have been some in the past but I don't recall such severe warnings before, or for such a duration.

I got to see the moon last night, very clear and bright (if not as much as the night before, but had cloud here then), bright enough to be awkward to look directly at. Went to the coast to view, aside from it looking epic the other good sight was the number of foreign motorhomes 8-) I haven't seen that many about for a long while (as a non-local who visits irregularly). At the second spot (https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0709477 ... 56!5m1!1e1) the moon was along the lines of the sun in the streetview*, with similar reflected light across the water. No street lights along the front there but it wasn't dark, just black and white.

*If you turn round, where the bushes and undergrowth are, pretty much as far along the road as you can there (up until the golf course :roll: ), is going to be built on, including the road right up to the coast path. They've already cleared lots of the land and they've just installed grey boarding all the way from the buildings next to the petrol station up to the golf course. The grey bleakness of the boarding is suitably faceless and dystopian. :evil:
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:20 pm
Gavster wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:37 am There’s a very good reason why countries that regularly experience 30°C+ temps have aircon in offices,
Every office I've worked in (and those I've fitted out) in this country has aircon. Only really shit places don't!
My home office is really shit :(
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I'd fancy Air Con at home but only in combination with Solar and Batteries. The day's you want Air Con should be ideal for solar.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Gavster wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:54 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:35 pm
Lidl have them for £170 IIRC.

Confirmed:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/office-must-ha ... ner/p53256

Saw a couple of people with them in their trolleys tonight :lol:

I'm not sure I could justify £170 for the twice a year it gets to 25+ deg in the house meself.

Last place I worked had a portable AC unit....for the MDs office, for when the top floor of the office goes above 30DegC, which it does every fucking year.
Good shout :)

The local Lidl didn't have any, however Robert Dyas have a similar 7kBTU unit at £186 and then this 10kBTU for only £25 more so grabbed one

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/zephyrus-1 ... trol-white
Do these need a waste tube poked out of the window or just capture water internally. Looks like a 24l tank on the Robert Dyas one.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Generally when you use them in AC mode they drip water onto the hot condenser and it evaporates away. If you use them in dehumidifier mode then they produce more water than can evaporate so it collects in a tank or you hose it out.