The Weather Thread.

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: The Weather Thread.

Post by IanF »

Apparently there were massive storms last night.. I (in the same house) heard nothing! 😂
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Get outside and look to the right of the moon, you can see the Northern lights, it's really dim by eye but take a bit of a long exposure pic and it looks fucking amazing
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

It’s a lot more visible on a camera but still visible to the naked eye here.

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, just been down to the end of the garden. It's crazy bright in photos - but once you've seen it on the photo it starts to stand out more to the naked eye...

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I went out and was disappointed that it wasn’t fully dark yet. Only when I got my phone out did I realise what I could actually see. HDR photos must be what makes it so obvious on camera.

Saves a winter trip to Norway - quite a spectacle.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Very clear here tonight but more red/pink than green.

I took some pics with my SLR but didn’t really have time to do it justice. Was racing a failing battery.

Tried F2.8, ISO 100, manually focused on infinity with 30 second exposure. Came out OK but more in the Red spectrum. Reading up, I should have used a different film speed setting but I was trying to avoid noise

Was ok but I think a narrower aperture for longer might have yielded better results
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It looks amazing. Completely forgot about it, really annoyed!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

The sun must have been going hard. I took this from the top of a very light polluted hill in Auckland which is the northy/southy equivalent of Malaga:

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I set an alarm to see if I could see anything, but our neighbourhood is too well lit at night, couldn't see anything or be bothered to go down the lane into the dark in the hope of getting a better look. :( I'll just have to see it the old fashioned way some day.
John

Post by John »

Glorious weather in Sheffield yesterday, 22 degrees and sunshine, finally. We were going to Bridlington for race the waves which is basically hot rods and customs drag racing along the beach. As we approached Bridlington the sun disappeared and the temperature dropped and then the fog :cry:

Had a walk to the beach and you could barely see anything so no racing took place :cry: :cry:
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

John wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:43 am Glorious weather in Sheffield yesterday, 22 degrees and sunshine, finally. We were going to Bridlington for race the waves which is basically hot rods and customs drag racing along the beach. As we approached Bridlington the sun disappeared and the temperature dropped and then the fog :cry:

Had a walk to the beach and you could barely see anything so no racing took place :cry: :cry:
Yeah yesterday was a failure, it was great today though!

Did you at least have a walk round the cars near the lifeboat station?

We spent the day in the pub instead, which wasn't too bad tbh :lol: :lol:
John

Post by John »

Yes, Sunday made up for Saturday's fog. The most surprising vehicle of the day for me was the old truck (1940/50's?) that launched down the beach like a scolded cat, guessing 4wd helped.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

That truck was huge, but I didn't see anything get the better of it all day, there were some big power cars there but nothing could get the power down until near the end of the run.

I'm surprised no one came off the bikes, they had some big wobbles!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I don't know if it'll last long enough to see but there's currently a red alert on aurora watch; https://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/