Parking

How do you parking space

1. I ALWAYS reverse into parking spaces
4%
2. I always reverse into parking spaces - except specific occasions where I know I will need to access the boot and that would make it difficult
57%
3. I sometimes reverse into parking spaces. I sometimes forward park. <gallic shrug>
29%
4. I usually forward park
4%
5. I always forward park
4%
6. I always forward park - except specific occasions where I know I will need to access the bonnet/froot and that would make it difficult
4%
7. I have someone else park for me. They choose the direction.
No votes
8. I have someone else park for me. But I make them reverse in.
No votes
9. I only walk/run/cycle in the park
No votes
10. I only park sideways.
No votes

Total votes: 28

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Parking

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:03 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:52 pm That's pretty self explanatory, look at the angle of the car parking spots, it's not easy to reverse in as the angle will be too sharp.
In this case you're right. Although I'll often advocate for echelon parking to be reverse-in only.

They used to have reverse in echelon bays years ago near Central Library in Manchester, on a one-way street. Our offices overlooked them and it was worrying how often you would see people trying to park in forwards, despite having two lanes of traffic heading straight at them as they undertook a 10pt manoeuvre. :roll:
well, I did not know they were called that!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:52 pm That's pretty self explanatory, look at the angle of the car parking spots, it's not easy to reverse in as the angle will be too sharp.
Only if you are a bit special, I looked at it there at the time and thought I could do it in a oner even in my L200 (which I can get in a few surprising spots). Mind you this is American drivers and they don't really do corners.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve just realised why I can’t be bothered reversing. Traffic in London is usually bumper to bumper so in a busy car park you won’t have the opportunity to reverse in a space as the car behind you is about a foot away. However because the car park is so busy and there’s no spaces people are more than willing to let you reverse out of a space so they can they park there.

See also parallel parking. Almost impossible to reverse because the person behind is already up your arse. It’s much easier in a manual car as you can just dip the clutch and select reverse whilst still driving past the spot and the person behind will then 6 times out of 10 show some level of awareness and leave a gap.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:54 pm well, I did not know they were called that!
I've always called that herringbone parking. Guess that's what comes from growing up/living by the coast. Although looking at it, that might be a similar but sliiiightly different concept.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

The question is too vague; what are we parking and where?

DaveE

Post by DaveE »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:42 pm
mik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm
drcarlos wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:16 pm When in Florida last year I came across a carpark where reverse parking was banned and punishable by a fine. Oddly it's not the only place in the US where this is the case.
I've seen this where the spaces are up against a wall which could be stained by an exhaust if you were an idiot and sat there with your engine running, and I've also heard about malls insisting on this as it means their security have a few more seconds to nab you if you do a runner (as it's slower to reverse out of a space and then drive off).

I don't rule out abject stupidity either though. :geek:
No walls in this one completely open.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TvQAULbhUTEmY2Hr5

Carl.
Probably because you don't have to have a front plate?

So reversing in would mean your plate wouldn't be visible?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I really wanted to select 'I always park sideways' however in nearly six months of Smart ownership I've not taken advantage of this parking style at all. As I'm rather lazy I always drive forwards into spaces rather than take a few moments longer to reverse.

However, I do park deep into a space to troll people with that "Oooo there's a space!!" feeling when they can't see me parked there.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Disappointing you've not looked to exploit your lack of length!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Yeah I’ve simply been sliding straight in rather than being creative with my stumpy little thing
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Gavster wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:20 pm Yeah I’ve simply been sliding straight in rather than being creative with my stumpy little thing
This isn’t the dating thread now you know………
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

DaveE wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:48 pm
drcarlos wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:42 pm
mik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm

I've seen this where the spaces are up against a wall which could be stained by an exhaust if you were an idiot and sat there with your engine running, and I've also heard about malls insisting on this as it means their security have a few more seconds to nab you if you do a runner (as it's slower to reverse out of a space and then drive off).

I don't rule out abject stupidity either though. :geek:
No walls in this one completely open.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TvQAULbhUTEmY2Hr5

Carl.
Probably because you don't have to have a front plate?

So reversing in would mean your plate wouldn't be visible?
That's a good point and would seem logical to be honest as it's a paid car park where you have to enter the plate into the machine.