Parking

How do you parking space

1. I ALWAYS reverse into parking spaces
4%
2. I always reverse into parking spaces - except specific occasions where I know I will need to access the boot and that would make it difficult
57%
3. I sometimes reverse into parking spaces. I sometimes forward park. <gallic shrug>
29%
4. I usually forward park
4%
5. I always forward park
4%
6. I always forward park - except specific occasions where I know I will need to access the bonnet/froot and that would make it difficult
4%
7. I have someone else park for me. They choose the direction.
No votes
8. I have someone else park for me. But I make them reverse in.
No votes
9. I only walk/run/cycle in the park
No votes
10. I only park sideways.
No votes

Total votes: 28

mik

Parking

Post by mik »

Image unrelated to poll

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Parking

Post by Rich B »

It's just easier reversing in. I don't get why anyone would choose to go in forward unless the space is in line with the direction you're driving (like at the end) or you need access to the boot.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:01 am It's just easier reversing in.
And safer. Reversing out into the traffic flow you have very reduced visibility, the same reason the highway code tells you not to reverse out from a side road.

Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Totally depends on where parking and in what situation. I tend to reverse in, but a lot of the time it's no more difficult or complicated to go in forward and reverse out where there's clear visibility all around.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:01 am It's just easier reversing in. I don't get why anyone would choose to go in forward unless the space is in line with the direction you're driving (like at the end) or you need access to the boot.
This for me. Made all the more important now my main car is lwb and a nightmare to reverse in tight spaces.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I reverse in unless I need to be in the boot. As I’m normally parked in disabled bays at the supermarket I end up driving in forwards as there’s normally a bollard in the way
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Whatever suits the situation.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Also when I’m at work my car is always parked over 2 spaces, as is everyone else’s. Part of our showroom got sectioned off and Greggs moved in, after that everyone got their car damaged within about 6 months by brain dead twats desperate for a pasty. Parking like a cunt helps but there’s some absolute dumb fuckers still coming in
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I park in forwards because I’m lazy.
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I still park forwards because I'm lazy

And then I remember that the bigger of the two boots is in the front

(Tell me you own a Boxster without telling me you own a Boxster) 😂
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I usually have a driver* who drops me off curbside and even opens the door for me. So sideways usually.
Realise I voted wrong !

*bus
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Barry wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:26 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:01 am It's just easier reversing in. I don't get why anyone would choose to go in forward unless the space is in line with the direction you're driving (like at the end) or you need access to the boot.
This for me. Made all the more important now my main car is lwb and a nightmare to reverse in tight spaces.
All of these.
mik

Post by mik »

NGRhodes wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:11 pm
*bus
Sidewaysparkingwanker!

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Barry wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:26 am Made all the more important now my main car is lwb and a nightmare to reverse in tight spaces.
LWB compared to the Civic maybe !

And reversing is easier - you use your mirrors and can see exactly how much space you have either side.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

When in Florida last year I came across a carpark where reverse parking was banned and punishable by a fine. Oddly it's not the only place in the US where this is the case.
mik

Post by mik »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:16 pm When in Florida last year I came across a carpark where reverse parking was banned and punishable by a fine. Oddly it's not the only place in the US where this is the case.
I've seen this where the spaces are up against a wall which could be stained by an exhaust if you were an idiot and sat there with your engine running, and I've also heard about malls insisting on this as it means their security have a few more seconds to nab you if you do a runner (as it's slower to reverse out of a space and then drive off).

I don't rule out abject stupidity either though. :geek:
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm
drcarlos wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:16 pm When in Florida last year I came across a carpark where reverse parking was banned and punishable by a fine. Oddly it's not the only place in the US where this is the case.
I've seen this where the spaces are up against a wall which could be stained by an exhaust if you were an idiot and sat there with your engine running, and I've also heard about malls insisting on this as it means their security have a few more seconds to nab you if you do a runner (as it's slower to reverse out of a space and then drive off).

I don't rule out abject stupidity either though. :geek:
No walls in this one completely open.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TvQAULbhUTEmY2Hr5

Carl.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That's pretty self explanatory, look at the angle of the car parking spots, it's not easy to reverse in as the angle will be too sharp.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:52 pm That's pretty self explanatory, look at the angle of the car parking spots, it's not easy to reverse in as the angle will be too sharp.
In this case you're right. Although I'll often advocate for echelon parking to be reverse-in only.

They used to have reverse in echelon bays years ago near Central Library in Manchester, on a one-way street. Our offices overlooked them and it was worrying how often you would see people trying to park in forwards, despite having two lanes of traffic heading straight at them as they undertook a 10pt manoeuvre. :roll:
Barry

Post by Barry »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:04 pm
Barry wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:26 am Made all the more important now my main car is lwb and a nightmare to reverse in tight spaces.
LWB compared to the Civic maybe !

And reversing is easier - you use your mirrors and can see exactly how much space you have either side.
Longer than anything I've had prior yes, and not a great turning circle for a rwd car either, oddly.

2950mm, just looked it up