HMRC Automated Phone System

DeskJockey

HMRC Automated Phone System

Post by DeskJockey »

Need to change something, call them up, get a loooong preamble about how easy it is to use their online services, and whatnot. Unfortunately that won't fix my problem. Then get to the "tell me why you're calling". I tell it. It mulls my response over, tells me they're very busy and hangs up. No offer of "do you want to wait in the queue or we can call you back when it is your turn". Just hangs up.

WTF?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Carlos

Re: HMRC Automated Phone System

Post by Carlos »

I believe they were not manning the phone lines until September but have announced a U-turn yesterday.

Clearly a ridiculous policy given it was nearly impossible to get through last year when they were open!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

And if you do get through, they're useless as they cannot disseminate complex tax rules and regulations down into a language that Joe public can understand and will not tell you anything definitive for fear of misinforming you and leaving themselves open to challenge
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

In years past I've found that once you're through to an actual human the service has been fine. Just getting to that point though.
---
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Yeah they've put me on emergency tax as they think I've got 2 jobs, so I had to call them up.

Spent 15 mins going through all the preamble, questions and just when I was going into the queue I got "Sorry. We're having technical issues, call back later"

THEN TELL ME THAT AT THE START! :evil:
Although when I did actually get through, in fairness they were good and solved it quickly.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Matty wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:46 am Yeah they've put me on emergency tax as they think I've got 2 jobs, so I had to call them up.

Spent 15 mins going through all the preamble, questions and just when I was going into the queue I got "Sorry. We're having technical issues, call back later"

THEN TELL ME THAT AT THE START! :evil:
Although when I did actually get through, in fairness they were good and solved it quickly.
That's exactly the same issue I've got.
---
scotta

Post by scotta »

Currently on hold to HMRC...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

When you somehow get through to someone, in my experience, they're usually very helpful/good (and sometimes give you a direct number). But those fucking speaking menu things are an absolute nightmare.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

scotta wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:43 am Currently on hold to HMRC...
Yup. Same here, 48 mins and counting...
---
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:45 am When you somehow get through to someone, in my experience, they're usually very helpful/good (and sometimes give you a direct number). But those fucking speaking menu things are an absolute nightmare.
I never speak to a speaking menu. It has to go through to an operator anyway if you don't respond. Sometimes I apply the same logic to the options menus if they don't quite have the right option.
Simon

Post by Simon »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:58 am
Wouldn't it be funny if you both got through at the same time, but ended up connected to each other....
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Simon wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:01 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:58 am
Wouldn't it be funny if you both got through at the same time, but ended up connected to each other....
As long as that also gives us the back-end system access to fix the issues, that would be fine.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

After just over an hour, I spoke to an advisor who in five minutes fixed the issue and converted a £ :shock: underpayment to a £ 8-) refund.

Happy days.
---
mik

Post by mik »

HOORAH! 😎

I’d agree that once you speak to a human, they are invariably very helpful.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

No, they are utter utter cunts.

They gave me an 8.5k tax rebate, my wife does my tax return and she contacted them multiple times to say I am not owed a return, so not pay it etc. no problem madam, it won’t go through and we have ammended it.

So they paid me 8.5k and annoyingly I was working away and Treina was on holiday for a week.
WE CONTACTED THEM to say oi dickhead, you gave us the money you said you wouldn’t so they then charged me nearly £60 for taking the money and then a fine for returning it.
When we argued this they said well you can but you were in the wrong 🤔

Much like Royal Mail, I hope they die on their arse and something else takes over.

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

And for me, I was handed a £6k bill. I spoke to them and argued the point but they just said,” I’m sure it’s right but if it’s wrong, it’ll bet sorted out next yet”

Next year, £7k rebate :roll:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Twice a year HMRC decide to change my tax code for no obvious reason. Pretty consistently. I get my accountant to do my tax return and they can’t see a reason. I don’t bother calling them to sort it out because it will either be fixed when my tax return is submitted or when they send the next random tax code. The hassle of being £100 a month worse off for a while simply isn’t worth the time and effort.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

For that sum, no, not worth the hassle. But, they'd adjusted my tax free allowance to recoup a supposed shortfall, which worked out at about £750/month. That certainly was noticeable.
---
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

It doesn't always correct itself, that's the problem - I was getting taxed an extra £250/month as they'd put me on emergency tax. I figured I'd just deal with it until the new FY and my P60 and/or year end rolled and they realised I'd been over taxed, but no.

Also, I did note they mentioned "If you're due a refund, expext it between July and September" - so are you going to refund my 5 months of interest @5% as well, or keep that for yourself?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

You can adjust your tax code yourself, online. I did both mine & my wife’s late last year. She was due a refund and it came through very quickly.