Dangerous beers...

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Dangerous beers...

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:52 am
KiwiDave wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:44 am …Yeastie Boys…
<round of applause> 8-)

That would obviously work for a craft bakery too.
It had a run of being fairly widely available in supermarkets but that time has come to an end now seemingly. Brewed under licence by Brewdog as well, so a difficult one depending on where your moral bar sits. Shame though as Gunamatta and Early Grey IPA are very nice.

@KiwiDave Depends on the supermarket but most of the big ones are fairly middle of the road. Booths up in the north is a good one although we've sadly just last weekend lost our local one to become an Asda (and Asda in Hale Barns! The horror!). I tend to order my favourites direct or via a few decent online retailers.
mik

Post by mik »

I like some of the strong(er) Belgian beers like Duvel and La Chouffe, but I don't enjoy drinking many of them.

Lagers slip down easier for me (current draught favourites Estrella & Birra Minabrea).

I tend not to enjoy crafty / microbrewery type concoctions. Generally too strongly flavoured for me. Specifically remember trying something called either Metalhead or Metalmouth in Dublin, and it tasted like liquid amalgam fillings. Who TF wants that???
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

What Mik said.

Estrella, Urquell, Staropramen in bottles when feeling flush

1664 or Carlsberg Export cans in a Pint Glass from the Freezer for a more "workaday" beer...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The door's that way gents >>>> :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

It’s Friday, I don’t have much to do this afternoon, and the weather is nice at last. I might pop out to Aldi and see what they’ve got 8-)

Then come back on here about 6pm and do a drunken brocco-style rant :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ah, like the discord days...
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I’ve always a case or two of Brewdog, some Moretti for guests and some Brewdog Speedbird/Lost beers from work. However, I mostly enjoy Guiness and as the pub three doors down from me won the best Guiness award by the brewery, I typically just wander into there when thirsty. £6.70 a pint though these days.. ☹️
Cheers,

Ian
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

mik wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:02 am I like some of the strong(er) Belgian beers like Duvel and La Chouffe, but I don't enjoy drinking many of them.
La Chouffe for me if I’m drinking at home, which isn’t often. I’m finding it tastes different to the stuff on the continent though…

Peroni/Moretti/San Miguel if I’m out.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:27 pm I've just today received a case of 12 Brains SA. Reminded by a friend who had a pint of it the other day that I've not seen it in years - used to be the go to beer for this household when the 6 Nations was on. So I just had to order some. Might try the Gold next as ISTR that was a particular favourite - in that class of malty pale British bitters that were popular before the more American style pale ales took over. See also Hooky Gold, or Hobgoblin Gold. Summer Lightning as well.
I had that Brains stuff in Cardiff, was decent.

Also Summer Lightning is my all time favourite summer beer actually. They used to sell it in my local Waitrose, but sadly not had it for the last year or so... I still go and check every time I'm in there in vain.

Ales are soo much better out of the keg though, if you find Summer Lightning on tap somewhere it's time to cancel the rest of your day. :D

I'm lucky enough to have a local beer shop / taproom which has both bottled and fresh, though sadly although there's lots in, it's just mostly modern cold IPA/NEIPA etc etc as opposed proper ales which is a shame (apparently the don't sell well enough... if you build it they will come, I say...). Better still in the adjacent town there is a proper microbrewery/pub which has the good stuff (big selection both their own and guests). Between those two places if I'm having a drink at the weekend at home I try to get the fresh stuff take out.

Also another microbrewery tap room opening in town, and a bbq joint with a wide selection of craft beers has just opened, so I've got a pretty great selection around me.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm going to contradict myself on strength, but some top picks for strong-ish dark best bitters are Fuller's ESB, and Tring Colley's Dog. Ideally on tap though.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

IanF wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:33 pm I mostly enjoy Guiness and as the pub three doors down from me won the best Guiness award by the brewery, I typically just wander into there when thirsty.
Don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it….

🤯

Guinea Grill ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've had a pint of Guinness (or two) and a sausage roll in there. I wouldn't say I know the difference between a good Guinness and a great Guinness though.

Edit - The best pint of Guinness I ever had was in Dublin, but NOT the ones on the factory tour (seemed pretty average to me). It was in a fairly busy pub in the centre of town where they obviously sold a lot of Guinness so they had the first half lined up ahead of time, just lifted the temperature a couple of degrees which really brought out the flavour IMO. Really cold Guinness really takes away some of the flavour IMO.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Gus O’Connors pub in Doolin in Clare serves the best pint of Guinness in the world.

And that’s a confirmed fact
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I spent the night in Los Angeles Ale Works in Culver City last night.
17 lines of their own beer on, was all mainly 6% plus stuff which made this morning fun.

Off to a place called 33 Taps this evening, looks pretty good, lots of good West Coast IPAs, a place nearby called Father's Office too which had some great beers in, including Pliny The Elder which was rated best in the world for a time, was only $10 for a half 😂
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:09 pm Gus O’Connors pub in Doolin in Clare serves the best pint of Guinness in the world.

And that’s a confirmed fact
No, an Irish pub in Kampala Uganda did the best pint of Guiness as it sits in the barrels longer when sailing over and warms up while travelling.

Also, an Irish pub in Ghana said the same.

Plus that pub in Angola.

So really, everyone is wrong and sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad. Probably the right consistency of crap in the lines in the pub more than what comes out the barrel.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Surely the Guinness in Uganda and also in Ghana comes from the Breweries in Ghana (where all of Africa’s Guinness is made) ;)

Mates Dad was head of Quality Control at James Gate (worked his was up from Bottle washer) - O Connors was his opinion.

But you’re right about the lines - shorter the lines the better.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

dinny_g wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:56 am But you’re right about the lines - shorter the lines the better.
I think Dave! meant that in some circumstances, by pure luck, the crap in the lines is complementary and improves the taste in a way that’s unique to that establishment.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

dinny_g wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:56 am Surely the Guinness in Uganda and also in Ghana comes from the Breweries in Ghana (where all of Africa’s Guinness is made) ;)

Mates Dad was head of Quality Control at James Gate (worked his was up from Bottle washer) - O Connors was his opinion.

But you’re right about the lines - shorter the lines the better.
Nigeria was the first brewery outside of Ireland/UK. Apparently, there are now 13 breweries over Africa
Cheers,

Ian
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Another mates Dad ran the ones in Ghana :lol:

We’re all connected to Guinness in some form…
Last edited by dinny_g on Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.