Motorway Mile Munchers

MikeHunt

Re: Motorway Mile Munchers

Post by MikeHunt »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:00 pm Like this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 24&fromsra

They have presence... and a V8.
I really wanted one of these, but I cant see past them having the same tech as a 2010 e class. Same goes for virtually all modern astons sadly.

Sometimes no tech is better than old tech, at least a din radio can be swapped out for something reasonably decent.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

There's something about them, far from my usual type of car, but when I see these I really like them.

I'm also not bothered about in car tech as long as it doesn't get in the way.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mondeo Tit X
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:04 pm Volvo S90 if he can cope with a 4-cylinder engine.
730d isn’t too ugly if you go for the pre-facelift version before the gopping grille was added.
6-series Gran Coupe?

For mile munching only the Volvo of the above will come with active cruise/lane assist which makes a massive difference to the driver.
I'd definitely be trying a big new Volvo, they've got to be comfortable right?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I've forwarded him the suggestions. Also I remember he was quite fond of the V8 diesel in the Q7, but he doesn't want a SUV. It appeared in the Panamera for a very short period. Was it in any other cars?
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:54 pm I've forwarded him the suggestions. Also I remember he was quite fond of the V8 diesel in the Q7, but he doesn't want a SUV. It appeared in the Panamera for a very short period. Was it in any other cars?
A8 and, I think, the Phaeton.

Edit: what about a Phaeton?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Phaetons all seem Euro 5, avoiding them because they’re already being banned from cities in quite a few places in Europe, London will surely add them to the ULEZ sooner rather than later.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:54 pm I've forwarded him the suggestions. Also I remember he was quite fond of the V8 diesel in the Q7, but he doesn't want a SUV. It appeared in the Panamera for a very short period. Was it in any other cars?
The A8 got a V8 diesel but I’m not sure that it was the last version with electric supercharger etc. Pretty sure that was just in the Panamera, SQ7, SQ8 and Bentayga.

The Panamera V8 diesels I’ve seen come up for sale have all been used for exactly what you’d expect: lots of miles. I gave up looking for one.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:12 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:04 pm Volvo S90 if he can cope with a 4-cylinder engine.
730d isn’t too ugly if you go for the pre-facelift version before the gopping grille was added.
6-series Gran Coupe?

For mile munching only the Volvo of the above will come with active cruise/lane assist which makes a massive difference to the driver.
I'd definitely be trying a big new Volvo, they've got to be comfortable right?
You save on fuel by having oddly un-refined horrible engines.

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Not an utterly awful idea. Maseratis do have lovely interiors.

Where do they get those diesel engines from ? Presumably not Ferrari, like they do with the petrol ones.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They’re Chrysler 300C based. The current generation of non sports car Maserati are crap and just Chryslers/Jeep in a fancy dress. Real step down from the old days.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Oh. Fair enough.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Surely a Lexus LS or GS should figure as a mile muncher, no oil burners but they do some Hybrids that makes them more attractive don't they?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yes LS is on the list but all hybrids command quite a premium so they come across as very overpriced for a car which will also depreciate to shed money eventually and have much more to go wrong.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

What about a BMW 8 GC?
Cheers,

Ian
scotta

Post by scotta »

No-one seems to be taking my Mondeo suggestion on board... Paging @tim and @Beany
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I found a nice Mondeo
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... YL&fromsra
Not very sensible though.
Beany

Post by Beany »

scotta wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:59 am No-one seems to be taking my Mondeo suggestion on board... Paging @tim and @Beany
I mean, I literally suggested the newer version of a TitX (because I'm sure The Family Sales would perish at the thought of a 2008 car on the drive) earlier in the thread:
Beany wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:05 pm Last of the line Mondeo Vignale?

It's a motorway hack for doing 500 miles a week in, not an event car etc. New enough to not shit itself every five minutes like a Phaeton etc, comfy enough to not be a chore on the shitty road network we have left. There's no reason to get too fancy.
Not my fault you can't read ;)
scotta

Post by scotta »

Beany wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:14 pm
scotta wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:59 am No-one seems to be taking my Mondeo suggestion on board... Paging @tim and @Beany
I mean, I literally suggested the newer version of a TitX (because I'm sure The Family Sales would perish at the thought of a 2008 car on the drive) earlier in the thread:
Beany wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:05 pm Last of the line Mondeo Vignale?

It's a motorway hack for doing 500 miles a week in, not an event car etc. New enough to not shit itself every five minutes like a Phaeton etc, comfy enough to not be a chore on the shitty road network we have left. There's no reason to get too fancy.
Not my fault you can't read ;)
:lol: Bastard.