Desktop multimedia speakers

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Desktop multimedia speakers

Post by Gavster »

I'm looking for ideas for great sounding speakers to put on my desk which are at the hifi end of this category. They only need to be stereo, surround is totally unnecessary as I have never watched a film at my desk. Space is quite limited and it's a tiny room which is the same width as my desk, so nothing too bulky, nor can I wall mount. Having a sub is fine though. Also they need to look good because they'll be in my field of vision for 8+ hours a day and that matters.

Has anyone come across any good systems or setups that tick these boxes?
scotta

Re: Desktop multimedia speakers

Post by scotta »

Budget?
scotta

Post by scotta »

I have these in the cinema room as rear surround speakers. They do a fantastic job however as main speakers. Ive run them on their own a few times in our kitchen. They would sound great in a small office and wouldn't need a sub.

https://www.richersounds.com/q-acoustic ... phite.html

drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Would the KRK Rokit suit? They are possibly a little too big but they are loved by DJ's as a decent entry level monitor, there is also a matching sub if you want to extend them a little. I use some old Mordaunt-Short MS10 book shelfs, run off a Teac AV-H500 amp (I needed more inputs and wanted a dedicated sub out) with a small Gale sub in my new office which sounds similar in size to yours but I wall mounted my speakers as they wont fit on my desk with 2 x 32" screens.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Whats the little streaming amp that someone on here bought recently?
scotta

Post by scotta »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:51 am Would the KRK Rokit suit? They are possibly a little too big but they are loved by DJ's as a decent entry level monitor, there is also a matching sub if you want to extend them a little. I use some old Mordaunt-Short MS10 book shelfs, run off a Teac AV-H500 amp (I needed more inputs and wanted a dedicated sub out) with a small Gale sub in my new office which sounds similar in size to yours but I wall mounted my speakers as they wont fit on my desk with 2 x 32" screens.
The KRK speakers come in different sizes so thats a decent shout. Similarly Pioneer do a small set of active monitors for home DJ setups.

https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-gb/product ... -speakers/
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Good point - are you looking for active speakers ?

If not I’ve got some Q Acoustics 3020 you can have. I was using them with that Arcam amp.

Or: active Qs:

https://www.richersounds.com/catalog/pr ... m20-white/
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Monitor Audio Radius are nice, and dinky; would definitely need a sub.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126410554026
scotta

Post by scotta »

My current office setup is retro!

Ive inherited an original set of Gale Reference Monitors from the 90's and still have my 1998 Yamaha receiver driving them.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

scotta wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:45 amBudget?
Up to £150 and happy to buy second hand too
scotta

Post by scotta »

Gavster wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:03 am
scotta wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:45 amBudget?
Up to £150 and happy to buy second hand too
If you can find a set of those reference monitors on ebay they are really good. The later ones werent as good so you need to find one that says the below on the back. They usually sell very cheap.

Gavster

Post by Gavster »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:51 am Would the KRK Rokit suit? They are possibly a little too big but they are loved by DJ's as a decent entry level monitor, there is also a matching sub if you want to extend them a little. I use some old Mordaunt-Short MS10 book shelfs, run off a Teac AV-H500 amp (I needed more inputs and wanted a dedicated sub out) with a small Gale sub in my new office which sounds similar in size to yours but I wall mounted my speakers as they wont fit on my desk with 2 x 32" screens.
They look great! A pair of those in white would be perfect.

And yes, I would prefer active as it's far easier.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Thanks for all the recommendations I think there's a few potentially great solutions amongst those!

Going to do a little bit of measuring to work out what fits. I would prefer to wall mount, however I use a stand/sit desk so positioning would be a little unreliable doing that, better to simply have desktop speakers that will always be at the right height regardless of desk position.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Could you mount them on the desk so that you have a few more options to work with?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away