Cholestorol and heart disease.

Mito Man

Re: Cholestorol and heart disease.

Post by Mito Man »

😂 the online bollocks and miracle cures reminds me of something. Lying in a hospital bed I got to chatting with a nurse about whether she’s seen any of these alternative treatments do anything.
“Oh we get quite a lot of patients who pursue them, but I’ve never seen them return for even a checkup afterwards”

Less pressure on the NHS I guess!
How about not having a sig at all?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Holley wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:22 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:43 pm PS if anyone does want an MRI scan then volunteer for one of my studies.
I'd happily volunteer for this!
DM me your email address and I'll send you some info 8-)
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Gavster wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:13 am The problem with a lot of 'health' information online is that it can be hard to pick out the bs from the good stuff and there are a lot of people pushing their own agenda to sell courses or supplements. Then you've got the 'Doctors' who are not real doctors, pushing stories about how one food is amazing and another food is bad. On top of that you then get researchers and scientists who are credible in many ways, yet step to the side and start pushing information that's not helpful or unproven. On top of that the carnivore and plant-based communities are both equally bad at shouting down anyone who disagrees with them, however, they're both equally guilty of pushing a diet that is very easy to become malnourished on.

If you're looking for some really solid medical advice about health and nutrition then grab a copy of Saturated Facts by Dr Idz, he is a real doctor and also has a masters in nutrition research. He's very, very good at cutting through the BS.

https://amzn.to/3PHTL3p
Yeah, I follow Dr Idz on Insta and the amount of debunking he does just makes getting online advice on any subject a wearying proposition.. encyclopaedia brittanica ftw! 😁
Cheers,

Ian
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:38 am The carnivore diet is an odd one, the carnivore side and the lion side are very different and the amounts you eat seem to be very different too.

Mrs Granite is now 5 months into a pure carnivore diet, feels better than ever and doing great. She can cheat by having chicken etc but I couldn’t cheat at all, it was beef or nothing.

There are too many agendas and too many miracle cures when people react differently to so many different foods that you need to be very careful and keep track of what you’re doing.

The worst thing about looking for stuff on the internet is search algorithms, it’s an horrid echo chamber.

Dave!
I'm sure that some people do feel great on carnivore/lion diets, I'm sure that is their experience. However on the flip side, vegetables are universally found to be a good thing and I would personally never adopt a long-term diet that excludes birthday cake :lol:
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:22 am 😂 the online bollocks and miracle cures reminds me of something. Lying in a hospital bed I got to chatting with a nurse about whether she’s seen any of these alternative treatments do anything.
“Oh we get quite a lot of patients who pursue them, but I’ve never seen them return for even a checkup afterwards”

Less pressure on the NHS I guess!
Tim Minchin nailed that one "You know what they call alternative medicine that's been proven to work? Medicine"
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gavster wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:07 am
V8Granite wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:38 am The carnivore diet is an odd one, the carnivore side and the lion side are very different and the amounts you eat seem to be very different too.

Mrs Granite is now 5 months into a pure carnivore diet, feels better than ever and doing great. She can cheat by having chicken etc but I couldn’t cheat at all, it was beef or nothing.

There are too many agendas and too many miracle cures when people react differently to so many different foods that you need to be very careful and keep track of what you’re doing.

The worst thing about looking for stuff on the internet is search algorithms, it’s an horrid echo chamber.

Dave!
I'm sure that some people do feel great on carnivore/lion diets, I'm sure that is their experience. However on the flip side, vegetables are universally found to be a good thing and I would personally never adopt a long-term diet that excludes birthday cake :lol:
Completely agree but a week of eating veg with my meals and I’ve gained 4lb and get painful joints.

Missing roast veg and potatoes, a big toad in the hole, boiled cabbage, boiled sprouts, stuffing, bubble and squeak are badly missed but pain, that’s worse so the veg goes.

The loss of a moist carrot cake with raisins in, that’s a kick in the balls 😂

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gavster wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:07 am

Dave!
Completely agree but a week of eating veg with my meals and I’ve gained 4lb and get painful joints.

Missing roast veg and potatoes, a big toad in the hole, boiled cabbage, boiled sprouts, stuffing, bubble and squeak are badly missed but pain, that’s worse so the veg goes.

The loss of a moist carrot cake with raisins in, that’s a kick in the balls 😂

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

That's odd.
Are there any specific vegetables that make them worse?
Anything else that triggers the joint pains?
Is it all joints or just certain joints?
And is it joints or more muscle aches?

Some veg contain solenins (spelling?) which has a weak link to inflammatory arthritis (in rat work, I don't think proven in humans).
I want to say some clever diagnosis like a porphyria but I'm reaching a bit here.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Holley wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:22 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:43 pm PS if anyone does want an MRI scan then volunteer for one of my studies.
I'd happily volunteer for this!
Yeah, me too! Free testing without having to beg the NHS has to be grasped! :lol:

My mum died of the clogged arteries thing, and it's not something that's in our family history AFAIK, so it was pretty unexpected.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Been taking statins since I was 15. Mum was diagnosed with high cholesterol around then. It's genetic - familiar hypercholesterolaemia. She's had two heart bypasses - one double, one triple. I'd like to avoid it, but I also like the occasional bit of red meat and other non-ideal dietary items. Currently taking rusovastatin 40mg (iirc) and ezetimibe 10mg and asprin 75mg daily. Get an annual checkup at Harefield and they seem happy with my levels.
Left over crest; tightens.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:40 pm That's odd.
Are there any specific vegetables that make them worse?
Anything else that triggers the joint pains?
Is it all joints or just certain joints?
And is it joints or more muscle aches?

Some veg contain solenins (spelling?) which has a weak link to inflammatory arthritis (in rat work, I don't think proven in humans).
I want to say some clever diagnosis like a porphyria but I'm reaching a bit here.
The whole reason for doing the steak was that it gave my body everything it needed and was an easy elimination diet.

Long dull history.
Struggle to recover from exercise, a deadlift session took me out of action gym wise for a week.
Muscle pain for 4 or 5 days afterwards.
Painful wrists from work, I used to get “the claw” where in the morning you have to spread your fingers open after a heavy 12 hour day.
Lower back pain.
The walk downstairs first thing in the morning was like an 80 year old.

Doctors said I had low vitamin D, then after a load of blood tests kept being told it’s expected as I aged but the difference from my early 30s was huge.

Had tests for fatty liver disease, no signs at all.

130/80 blood pressure has been pretty consistent.

Heart rate always pretty close to 60bpm.

Big sleep problems for a long while but managed to sort that with small pre bedtime routines.

Removed pasta, bread, rice, anything with flour in etc so just meat and veg. A little less bloated but permanently hungry and no change with joints.
Removed all seed oils, just cooked in olive oil or tallow etc. Didn’t notice any difference.
Went on a carnivore diet, bacon, beef, eggs, full fat milk, butter, water and salt. Felt really good, wasn’t hungry that much but wasn’t eating till I was full every time, weight was coming off despite eating loads,all my joint pain went but I screwed this up by adding condiments which annoyed me as I bloody love condiments.
Had steak, water, milk, salt and the occasional egg on top, ate till I was full and sometimes didn’t eat for a day and a half as I simply wasn’t hungry. Weight falling off, loads of steady energy, everything was better, oddly I noted my finger nails were growing much quicker and no aches or pains in the morning. Tried to carry this on while travelling with work and it was nearly impossible, steaks cooked in oil, needing 3 steaks to fill you up which means £60 a meal etc so had to stop. Got down to 120kg relatively quickly and was never having to deal with being hungry all the time.

Since on quite a large dose of TRT as apparently I had none and the brain fog went completely, sleep improved even more but being able to train again was a big plus mainly. It’s good to feel strong. This is done through a private doctors clinic.

It’s a fascinating subject as all the healthy things we were told in school just don’t work. Oatmeal, porridge, cereal and toast etc removed from the kids diet and it was even noted by their teachers how much more focused they were, especially our eldest who was a dramatic stresshead at times and he turned around in about a week. So all we did was change breakfast from normal breakfasts to meat and egg, all meals after that are normal diet foods.

As an aside, my Dad was a normal 50s child diet. He had fry ups, chips with everything, bacon and lots of red meat. He now is portly with a belly after cutting out red meat and eats very healthy. Could be in the genes to be a salad dodger 😂

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s horses for courses isn’t it.

I’m the opposite, felt much better after cutting out meat. Less lethargic and my digestion’s better.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:36 am It’s horses for courses isn’t it.

I’m the opposite, felt much better after cutting out meat. Less lethargic and my digestion’s better.
Exactly, my sister survives on salads and fish but I’d need to eat 6 big meals a day to be able to do my job. Plus I put on a huge amount of weight and look puffy.

Eating a variety of food for years makes it hard to know what feels normal.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

JonMad wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:00 pm Been taking statins since I was 15. Mum was diagnosed with high cholesterol around then. It's genetic - familiar hypercholesterolaemia. She's had two heart bypasses - one double, one triple. I'd like to avoid it, but I also like the occasional bit of red meat and other non-ideal dietary items. Currently taking rusovastatin 40mg (iirc) and ezetimibe 10mg and asprin 75mg daily. Get an annual checkup at Harefield and they seem happy with my levels.
Can you try to ask for Alirocumab? The NHS don’t like giving it out, but your family history sounds identical to my mum and her mum.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@V8Granite you are Ron Swanson. AICMFP.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:05 am
JonMad wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:00 pm Been taking statins since I was 15. Mum was diagnosed with high cholesterol around then. It's genetic - familiar hypercholesterolaemia. She's had two heart bypasses - one double, one triple. I'd like to avoid it, but I also like the occasional bit of red meat and other non-ideal dietary items. Currently taking rusovastatin 40mg (iirc) and ezetimibe 10mg and asprin 75mg daily. Get an annual checkup at Harefield and they seem happy with my levels.
Can you try to ask for Alirocumab? The NHS don’t like giving it out, but your family history sounds identical to my mum and her mum.
Thanks, not heard of that one. I expect they'll say it's being controlled enough by what I'm doing already.
Left over crest; tightens.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've just submitted another round of BP numbers as part of my ongoing treatment.

While not the perfect (High reading 128/89, Low 120/80, average 124/83), I'm not going to change dosage of Ramapril for now and just keep loosing weight, cutting way back on the beers and the processes meat (I do love a Ham Sandwich).

My reasoning is that my medical practice just seem to want to keep upping the dosage until it hits a consistent 110/80 which, frankly, is never happening. After 2 1/2 years of checks, bloods, medicine, checks, bloods etc, I've built up quite a lot of Anxiety about it all and I can feel my tension rise as soon as I reach for the BP Meter. My first check is always off the scale - like !30/95, 96, 97 ) but with controlled breathing etc I can get it down to normal-ish range.

I don't think I'll ever test in the normal range.

The Acid Indigestion is a fucker though... :x
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…