Cayman/Boxter RIP.

PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Cayman/Boxter RIP.

Post by PaulJ »

I just heard that the Porsche Cayman and Boxster models have been withdrawn from sale in the UK due to them not meeting the latest standards of cyber security. :roll: Apparently it would cost to much to upgrade them for the two years before the electric replacement appears. Having had 3 Boxsters and being on my 4th Cayman over the last 24 years I feel abandoned and sad that I'm no longer worthy of being in the family...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Cayman/Boxter RIP.

Post by Rich B »

Given that the entire electrical system is the same as the 911 - this sounds like an odd decision. Maybe they're just trying to maximise the ICE 911 profits for the last few years of production?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Wow! Really? Are the UK rules stricter than EU, or are they just giving up everywhere?
Cheers,

Ian
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:17 pm Given that the entire electrical system is the same as the 911 - this sounds like an odd decision. Maybe they're just trying to maximise the ICE 911 profits for the last few years of production?
992.2 launches later this year with hybrid tech.. if the elec system is the same, I don’t think they’d be killing off the Coxster?
Cheers,

Ian
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

IanF wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:18 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:17 pm Given that the entire electrical system is the same as the 911 - this sounds like an odd decision. Maybe they're just trying to maximise the ICE 911 profits for the last few years of production?
992.2 launches later this year with hybrid tech.. if the elec system is the same, I don’t think they’d be killing off the Coxster?
Jobbo will be shouting at us for daring to discuss it, but yep - all the electrical systems are shared - though obviously this may change if they add a hybrid element to the 911. I suspect it's purely profit margin motivated though and not overlapping/ undercutting their own models .
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If any model from Porsche should be banned for piss poor cybersecurity surely it's the Macan as I've personally known 2 people who have had them stolen.
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:22 pm
Jobbo will be shouting at us for daring to discuss it, but yep - all the electrical systems are shared - though obviously this may change if they add a hybrid element to the 911. I suspect it's purely profit margin motivated though and not overlapping/ undercutting their own models .
Just thinking if it's also average fleet emissions based - kill off the purely combustion engined cars but leave the hybrids and the 911 alone as that's the core product?
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:17 pm Wow! Really? Are the UK rules stricter than EU, or are they just giving up everywhere?
Blimey that's a shame! :( Seems to be EU-wide according to this article.

Don't worry @PaulJ - they promise an EV successor as soon as 2025 :(
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Expect used prices for the ICE cars to take a marked upswing in the light of this.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

mik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:32 pm
IanF wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:17 pm Wow! Really? Are the UK rules stricter than EU, or are they just giving up everywhere?
Blimey that's a shame! :( Seems to be EU-wide according to this article.

Don't worry @PaulJ - they promise an EV successor as soon as 2025 :(
Afraid I still consider all electric vehicles to be appliances, and not worthy of premium prices. Maybe Porsche can prove me wrong, but I doubt it. :(
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

WTAF :shock:
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:22 pm
So the Boxster which is being replaced by a solely EV model isn’t able to carry on but the 992 which is being replaced by a hybrid facelift version is? What a surprise - they’re keeping the more profitable one. Not sure sharing parts has anything at all to do with it 😄
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Some of the requirements that the EU are imposing sound absolutely insane to me for this UNECE WP.29.
From https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... rsecurity/

"Of course, most cars have multiple users over the course of their life and WP.29 seeks to ensure that there is no possibility of those users accessing each other’s data. It’s possible that each user will have to log into the car with a pin number, or some other form of ID"

"Garages may have to show that they have their own cyber security measures in place to be allowed to work on hardened cars, and there could be issues around having the right diagnostic equipment."

"ECUs may be locked out to prevent IP theft and monkeying around with things like a car’s emission control systems."

Imagine taking your car into a garage, but them not being able to fix it because they can't connect due to the ECU firewall blocking port 5682, and they can't recover it because the previous owner didn't hand over the Bitlocker password. Gonna have to re-install the cars OS.
Last edited by Matty on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Delphi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:38 pm Expect used prices for the ICE cars to take a marked upswing in the light of this.
Apart from the crippling rfl. Worth paying tho if you recognise fun is going to be expensive.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

This line from the article is quite something
"We could, therefore, see manufactures buying back and scrapping old cars so they don’t have to keep supporting them, once the paperwork submitted for WP.29 certification expires 10 years after the end of production."

Remember, these are the same cunts telling us that what to do, what to eat, where to go and all that to save the planet.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

So pretty much designing cars to brick themselves at ten years old when support runs out.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 pm [What a surprise - they’re keeping the more profitable one.
On a per-unit basis I don’t doubt but what about overall ? They must sell way more cayman/boxster than 911. And then factor in that any new tech for the 911 is only amortised over the 911, not shared. I’m sure they’ve done all these calcs and if it was as simple as killing boxster = more profit they would have done it ages ago.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:30 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 pm [What a surprise - they’re keeping the more profitable one.
On a per-unit basis I don’t doubt but what about overall ? They must sell way more cayman/boxster than 911. And then factor in that any new tech for the 911 is only amortised over the 911, not shared. I’m sure they’ve done all these calcs and if it was as simple as killing boxster = more profit they would have done it ages ago.
they sell lots more 911s than cayman/boxster - at a massively higher profit margin.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Oh. Genuinely surprised at that.

boxster/cayman had it coming.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Lifted from the text here

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2024/co ... 34942.html

2023 deliveries:

87,553 Cayenne
87,355 Macan
50,146 911
40,629 Taycan
34,020 Panamera
20,518 Boxster & Cayman

320,221 TOTAL

There's still an element of losing (probably) 20k cars over which to amortise certain development costs but at 2.5:1 it's a lot less than I expected.

Regional split:

86,059 North America
79,283 China
70,229 Europe (excluding Germany)
52,220 Overseas and Emerging Markets
32,430 Germany

320,211 TOTAL