Full Fibre

scotta

Re: Full Fibre

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:05 pm I should have said - 900mb for mine. Have measured 950 on a laptop plugged into the input, but it’s half that on the WiFi. Still ample howevah.
I can get the 900 but I’m too tight to pay the extra £20.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I assumed this was going to be about making sure you got a bowl of All Bran in the morning.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:09 am I assumed this was going to be about making sure you got a bowl of All Bran in the morning.
I think that's more exciting than talking about internet speeds!

I live near London Bridge, about 5 min walk from the Shard, and the max speed in my building is 70Mb, so countryfolk have no reason to complain!

Virgin is really variable. My clients in Notting Hill have it drop out all of the time. Hyperoptic, G Network and gigaclear like to drop out in the summer when a bunch of their engineers are on holiday. As much as I dislike BT/Openreach, outside of a dedicated leased line, their fibre seems to be the most reliable (or a company that rents their line).
mik

Post by mik »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:09 am I assumed this was going to be about making sure you got a bowl of All Bran in the morning.
And - in a way - I suppose it is…..

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Rich B wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:46 pm
240PP wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:24 pm 70Mb through Plusnet. There’s generally only me in the house day to day but it’s fine/fast. I just assumed that any broadband deal over 50Mb would be sufficient for anyone, is that not the case?

300mb+ speed meant I could start this call of duty update when I got home from work and be playing with my mates online by 9. At 50mb I'd be waiting til the next day.
I guess that’s the difference. I don’t download anything, just stream (TV, music and Teams calls).
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

240PP wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:24 pm I just assumed that any broadband deal over 50Mb would be sufficient for anyone, is that not the case?
No ! It's necessary for facilitating a lot of willy-waving whenever we have thread about internet speeds ;)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:02 am
240PP wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:24 pm I just assumed that any broadband deal over 50Mb would be sufficient for anyone, is that not the case?
No ! It's necessary for facilitating a lot of willy-waving whenever we have thread about internet speeds ;)
it’s basically just for gaming. Though it is nice to able to download a movie onto my phone in about 20 seconds - particularly when I’m heading out the door to catch a train and have forgotten to download anything.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ooh. I just spotted that we have been on plusnet 36 since moving in and paying £27.49 a month when we could have 75 for £27.99 a month or 145 for £29.99 a month, so an upgrade seemed like a no brainer.

As an aside, a friend of mine who is a Nerd is very strongly in favour of Armstrong and Arnold as a provider. The service does seem good and he likes the instant access to customer service (including via IRC apparently). https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I had an email from Plusnet last month saying my conetract was up and the price was increasing from £28 to £55… or would I like to renew for £26 instead.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We're still stuck with Starlink being the only option if we want anything over 23M. We get 150-300 with them and its £80 a month.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Switched just over a month ago to IDNet's Ultrafast 300 - £45/mo which is the same as we were paying for normal (slow) broadband beforehand. Getting about 70/50 on a 2.4GHz wifi connection or 150/50 on a 5GHz connection.

We've found it much better for work as we often both work at home, with the wife regularly on Teams calls and me often on them or using resource heavy software like Autocad.

The one thing left I have to sort is that our TV and were we sit to watch it, is in a bit of a wifi black hole that's got worse as we've moved the line in and the router upstairs. I mean it's literally vertically above where it used to be, but it's just enough to have knocked a poor signal to a very poor signal - I suspect because it has to pass through the chimney breast and double lined flue within.

I'm considering trying out my old homeplugs or possibly trying some new ones - although ISTR reading somewhere on here recently that the ones with much higher quoted transfer rates are ultimately limited and not much better than the older jobbies. I think mine are 500Mbps but can't be sure until I dig them out.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Was on Vodafone (City Fibre) at the last house - 120Mb up and down (fibre is synchronous bandwidth) and it was superb. Currently on Virgin here as couldn't get Fibre, but as it became available a month after we moved in, Virgin are getting canned as soon as the contract is up (next month) and I'm switching to Vodaphone/CF.

Virgin's router is dogshit and the Vodafone one will be replaced by a Ubiquiti and possibly a separate access point.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Delphi wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:04 pm Was on Vodafone (City Fibre) at the last house - 120Mb up and down (fibre is synchronous bandwidth)
Openreach's FTTP offering is not the same up and down, even though it is apparently proper FTTP: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/thread ... enue%20etc.

Interestingly they are crowing about the maximum speed being increased to 1.8Gbps from 1 April but the max upload speed will be just 180Mbps. Hmmm.
Beany

Post by Beany »

In fairness, most people don't need massive upload - even multiple teams calls is maybe 10-20mb/sec for the upstream side.

I find synchronous useful as I'm regularly shuffling stuff up to remote servers, etc, and the down speed is handy for quickly grabbing ISOs, running updates, etc.

Swerv, if you own the place, just drill a hole and drop a cable :lol: homeplugs really haven't improved in the last ten years, it was probably me you got that from. IE 100MB is the best you can reasonably expect, and most won't even do that.

Fine if it's the only option you've got, but mesh wireless is kinda making it redundant now it's coming down in price.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:44 pm In fairness, most people don't need massive upload - even multiple teams calls is maybe 10-20mb/sec for the upstream side.

I find synchronous useful as I'm regularly shuffling stuff up to remote servers, etc, and the down speed is handy for quickly grabbing ISOs, running updates, etc.

Swerv, if you own the place, just drill a hole and drop a cable :lol: homeplugs really haven't improved in the last ten years, it was probably me you got that from. IE 100MB is the best you can reasonably expect, and most won't even do that.

Fine if it's the only option you've got, but mesh wireless is kinda making it redundant now it's coming down in price.
No can do Bean - there's fitted cabinets in behind the TV, and the walls are dot and dab. And it on the opposite side of the house :lol:

I'll see what happens with the existing home plugs first and then take a view on Mesh
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:09 pm
Delphi wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:04 pm Was on Vodafone (City Fibre) at the last house - 120Mb up and down (fibre is synchronous bandwidth)
Openreach's FTTP offering is not the same up and down, even though it is apparently proper FTTP: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/thread ... enue%20etc.

Interestingly they are crowing about the maximum speed being increased to 1.8Gbps from 1 April but the max upload speed will be just 180Mbps. Hmmm.
Yep, we’re 150 down, 30 up. It’s fine, I don’t upload anything other than the very occasional YouTube vid.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Need at least a solid 100 upload for when I'm streaming on OnlyFans. MassiveMito if you want to support me.
How about not having a sig at all?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

2 years ago I went from BT "80/20" to FTTP 100/100mbps - the real world difference has been huge.
With BT my best transfer speeds were 67/15, where as my FTTP is 100/100 of actual transfer speeds (about 110/110 connection speed) and the latency is almost half of BT under load (using the same router with QoS turned off).
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:27 pm Need at least a solid 100 upload for when I'm streaming on OnlyFans. MassiveMito if you want to support me.
What resolution do you stream at?

Asking for a mate….. :?
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:06 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:27 pm Need at least a solid 100 upload for when I'm streaming on OnlyFans. MassiveMito if you want to support me.
What resolution do you stream at?

Asking for a mate….. :?
He's streaming at 720p, but doesn't understand compression.

MPEG1 all the way, baby!