Bizarre washing machine inlet connector.

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Bizarre washing machine inlet connector.

Post by Jobbo »

Our new house was supposed to come without a washing machine - we have a recent Samsung which my wife likes so we’re not swapping to someone else’s cast-off. Normally I’m very happy connecting washing machines (invariably fixing someone’s previous bodged connection) but I’m stumped with this:

It’s a Bosch machine and this appears to be a safety device to stop leaks - there is an inner pipe and an outer pipe which automatically cuts the water supply if the inner pipe leaks. But the ones I’ve seen before simply connect to a usual washing machine connector; this one seems permanently mounted. The only way to disconnect it that I can see is above the blue tap - that’s stupid. Anyone seen one of these before and had to do the same? Am I missing something?
mik

Re: Bizarre washing machine inlet connector.

Post by mik »

Never seen that before. Is the other end a normal cold feed into the machine? (ie can you just leave this gubbins in place and plug into yours?)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Isn't the brass bit threaded and screwed onto the ball valve ? Hence the grips?
Last edited by Rich B on Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

@mik: No, it seems to be captive the other end.

@Rich: it does look like it screws on doesn’t it; to my (clearly blind) eyes I thought it was crimped. If it does unscrew it would still have the opposite thread to a normal washing machine feed hose though.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It looks like it's captive to the plastic, but screwed to the valve, but you have it in front of you so I believe you!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

https://www.sos-parts.com/aquastop-wate ... ZMl4cyueUI

Aqua stop - I'm still thinking the brass bit will come off!! 😂
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich, I think you have solved it - thank you 😃
Next task is to get it to the tip…. nearest one requires scrap metal like washing machines to be chucked over a 4ft high fence into a skip. Errrrr…
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It's always fun when you have an unfamiliar fitting with a metal thread in a plastic thread in a hard to reach place! I don't blame you for being cautious!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Glad it’s sorted.. but any space to keep it in your garage? Handy for cat/pet/animal/even car related things.

Also, how can you post about a Bosch machine and not mention which series it is!? 🙄😂
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The garage doesn’t have a water or drainage connection but to be fair I’ve never needed a second washing machine. Aren’t dishwashers more useful for cleaning car parts?

Will find out which Bosch series it is before disposing of it 😄
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:50 pm Rich, I think you have solved it - thank you 😃
Next task is to get it to the tip…. nearest one requires scrap metal like washing machines to be chucked over a 4ft high fence into a skip. Errrrr…
Google for local scrap services ? - I found one for my Washing machine - booked an slot, they turned up on time and took it away for free
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:08 pm any space to keep it in your garage? Handy for cat/pet/animal
I wash my dogs in the shower, you monster! :shock:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:09 pm Our new house was supposed to come without a washing machine - we have a recent Samsung which my wife likes so we’re not swapping to someone else’s cast-off. Normally I’m very happy connecting washing machines (invariably fixing someone’s previous bodged connection) but I’m stumped with this:

It’s a Bosch machine and this appears to be a safety device to stop leaks - there is an inner pipe and an outer pipe which automatically cuts the water supply if the inner pipe leaks. But the ones I’ve seen before simply connect to a usual washing machine connector; this one seems permanently mounted. The only way to disconnect it that I can see is above the blue tap - that’s stupid. Anyone seen one of these before and had to do the same? Am I missing something?
I'm sure we've got something like that under our kitchen sink, where the dishwasher connection is.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:48 pm https://www.sos-parts.com/aquastop-wate ... ZMl4cyueUI

Aqua stop - I'm still thinking the brass bit will come off!! 😂
There seem to be others cheaper than that - this is half the price: https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es174 ... -hose---15

Has anyone here had a leak from the feed pipe? Is this a thing? I've never encountered the pipe splitting, which is really the only leak these solve, so are they an idea to solve a problem that does not really exist?

ETA: reviews online either seem to say they're happy or that the hose is prone to leaking outside the safety cut-off bit so is utterly useless. On the basis that everyone is happy until there's a leak, and that this design of hose does not actually prevent all leaks (probably why Bosch make it captive so there is no joint to leak at the machine end), I'm going to stick to the existing hoses which I've never had a problem with over the last 30-odd years.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The feed pipe on ours leaked. Slow drip from where it connected to the washing machine. Had a spare in stock, so spent five mins replacing it (and half an hour mopping up). Not sure you need a fancy gizmo.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It unscrewed exactly as Rich thought. Thank you; I owe you one, Rich - funny how when you have too much on your list to do, your own clarity of thought disappears :lol:

Turns out the Aquastop on the removed washing machine probably wasn't all that effective...