Menopause is now a disability (UK)

Menopause must now be considered a disability in the UK

1. Absolutely fair. Some ladies are massively impacted by menopausal symptoms, and employers should be compelled to make considerations.
33%
2. I genuinely sympathise with sufferers but I don't agree it's a disability. Employers should be compelled to make considerations for those struggling with chronic symptoms via the existing processes which consider medical professional guidance (doctors letters etc).
67%
3. How can an absolute biological certainty for (almost) 100% of the female population be deemed a disability? Surely it's akin to defining puberty as a disability. I don't get it.
No votes
4. I have no firm opinion on this topic.
No votes

Total votes: 15

mik

Menopause is now a disability (UK)

Post by mik »

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Menopause is now a disability (UK)

Post by Rich B »

Worth understanding what the word means, it’s not synonymous with “being in a wheelchair” (which I bet would be the definition and awful lot if people would say).

From the cdc website (though every other definition is similar).

A disability is any condition of the body or mind (impairment) that makes it more difficult for the person with the condition to do certain activities (activity limitation) and interact with the world around them (participation restrictions).

Seems a fit.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Rich is being strangely correct :lol: I have a disability railcard for hearing loss. Although my current hearing loss isn't severe enough to qualify as a disabilty under the equality act, when it was far worse in my early thirties it would have qualified, despite the fact I was fully participating in life, work, social life etc.

There's a helluva lot of people who have disabilities who don't 'claim' that disability until they're genuinely struggling to participate.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

What about the manopause?
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:24 am
From the cdc website (though every other definition is similar).

A disability is any condition of the body or mind (impairment) that makes it more difficult for the person with the condition to do certain activities (activity limitation) and interact with the world around them (participation restrictions).
Is there any wording around it being chronic or permanent ? Because according to that wording above, having a cold is a disability, but I doubt anyone gets a blue parking permit for it. To my mind a disability needs to be something that affects a person permanently.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:11 am To my mind a disability needs to be something that affects a person permanently.
That is a good point. To get a blue badge, presumably it does need to be permanent or lengthy/chronic - you would be able to get one if you had lost a leg, for instance, but not if that leg was broken and you could not use it for a couple of months. The menopause is longer than a few months of course.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was told I had good grounds to apply for a blue badge but didn't bother. I could still stagger around, I feel like you shouldn't get one until you're crawling :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:42 am What about the manopause?
This is actually a thing but its correct name is the andropause.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

GG. wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:41 am
Yes, decreasing testosterone. You'd hope with equality these days that it would also be taken into account.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I would think it is typically not as prevalent or severe as the menopause, though having said that, rates of suicide increase markedly in men of that age so perhaps should not be glibly dismissed.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

As someone with a partner currently in the first stages of menopause (denial) I’d like to say that menopausal women should be allowed to do whatever they want, all the time…
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I see shit like this as a m something that will be exploited. When something is new and in the press this will be taken more seriously than people with existing problems, and will encourage”woe is me” behaviour. Some will genuinely need the support but I know plenty of people who would gladly welcome this purely because they’re too bone idle to get on with working

My wife has a disability that started as an injury but has developed into something that severely limits her quality of life currently. She has osteoarthritis in her right knee, plus has had her acl snap, repaired, snapped, different type of repair, and has snapped again. She has a blue badge but that’s about all she qualifies for. She’s not really given any real help at work, she just gets on with what she can- she has been working on massively reduced hours because of this for the last 4 years, but doesn’t qualify for any esa or anything because surgery can “fix” it. Currently waiting on 5th surgery that will hopefully be more than a temporary fix this time.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I should add I voted 2. Employers should have to help, but no way is menopause a disability unless it’s massively severe, then existing procedures should kick in.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I guess it boils down to the definition of disability. I'm probably leaning towards option two, but as I'm not the one impacted, I'd rather the distinction was made by a woman who is/would be.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:31 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:11 am To my mind a disability needs to be something that affects a person permanently.
That is a good point. To get a blue badge, presumably it does need to be permanent or lengthy/chronic - you would be able to get one if you had lost a leg, for instance, but not if that leg was broken and you could not use it for a couple of months. The menopause is longer than a few months of course.
Doesn't need to be chronic/permanent. Former colleague had one for a couple of years while he slowly recovered from a medical issue that restricted his mobility. Once he could walk without a cane, he was no longer eligible.
---
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:43 am
Yes, decreasing testosterone. You'd hope with equality these days that it would also be taken into account.
It’s also a reason that lots of men between 45 and 50 kill themselves.

After seeing the affects on someone the menopause isn’t talked about enough with couples. I bet the divorce rate instigated by women would reduce hugely if it was more openly discussed and understood by both sides.

A disability ? Not at all, there should just be the help for both sides to get through it.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:10 am I guess it boils down to the definition of disability. I'm probably leaning towards option two, but as I'm not the one impacted, I'd rather the distinction was made by a woman who is/would be.
So very much this.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:28 am

After seeing the affects on someone the menopause isn’t talked about enough with couples. I bet the divorce rate instigated by women would reduce hugely if it was more openly discussed and understood by both sides.

A disability ? Not at all, there should just be the help for both sides to get through it.

Dave!
Who are you and what have you done with Dave? Surely 'man up' is the answer?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:51 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:28 am

Dave!
Who are you and what have you done with Dave? Surely 'woman up' is the answer?
FTFY.
---
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:29 am
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:10 am I guess it boils down to the definition of disability. I'm probably leaning towards option two, but as I'm not the one impacted, I'd rather the distinction was made by a woman who is/would be.
So very much this.
I think the opposite, it’s a huge marriage destroyer as men don’t know how to deal with it and women don’t know how it affects others.

Dave!