EOTR MX-5 100th Anniversary Super 220

MikeHunt

EOTR MX-5 100th Anniversary Super 220

Post by MikeHunt »

I've been fortunate enough to have owned many MX5s, all except the NA model. In fact, this was my second ND 184. Finding an NB that isn't a special edition is quite the rarity, but ND specials are less common. However, I reckon the 100th Anniversary edition is one of the best specs around. The red hood, seats, and carpets really suit the car, and while white isn't the best MX-5 colour, there's something cool about white JDM cars. With only 96 in the UK, it's pretty special.

The Super 220 upgrades are the cherry on top of what is already a solid car. The extra revs, a bit more torque, and the exhaust's feel and sound genuinely enhance the driving experience, sad that Mazda don't see a market for something like this. Driving roof down on a spring Sunday morning, there might be quicker cars on a B road, but few are as fun. Also 6 pot brakes on something weighing near to 1000 kilos wet is overkill, the first time I used them in anger was a shock, thank god for the seatbelt! I've added a bunch of smaller touches, like a titanium gear knob, real leather gaiters, and a 2-grand Alcantara steering wheel, along with a Mazda Speed body kit. These give it that OEM+ feel but with an edge.

The lack of weight doesn't just improve handling but also reduces running costs in terms of MPG, tyre wear, brakes, etc. On a drive where an M2 was getting 15mpg, the hard-driven Mazda saw 26mpg. On the same drive, the Mazda kept pace with the M2, even on uphill sections where you'd expect the bigger engine to pull ahead.

I'm only selling it due to not using it enough and having an irrational hatred towards garage queen cars, they are meant to be driven and if I was lucky enough to afford a dino, Id drive it for sure. So 4900 in 40 months just felt a bit embarrassing. My son, who is non-ambulatory, sitting in the car when we go for a spin, which is fine for a quick blast and enjoying a coffee with a view. But for going anywhere else, we need the bigger cars. Had I kept it, my wishlist included lowered seats, a short shifter, under-car aero, and ITBs. I promised myself at the start of 2023 to do track days and drives, but I never even bought a helmet. However, I did enjoy a fantastic drive in August, covering almost 25% of the car's miles in one weekend.

Financially, the car cost just under £30k, and a similar spec today would cost over £35k which possibly helped depreciation. I've probably spent another £9k to £10k on modifications. I know that money could have bought a number of cars, but I've sold it for £25k to an enthusiast upgrading from another MX-5. I'm sure it's going to a good home and will be driven a lot more than I managed.

I'm not sure what to do next. Not so long ago, my driveway included a Z4, MX5, and GR Yaris. It was an unusual combination that oddly overlapped. I decided I'd prefer to have one really awesome car, and you might argue the M550i is that car. I've thought about upgrading—let's face it, most of us do constantly. My shortlist includes an AMG GT, Panamera, Mulsanne or F-Type, but I keep coming back to an M5. There's a CS up for £140k, which is too much for me, and I'm not sure a standard M5 is a big enough leap. I should keep the 500 and have the luxury of a car sitting in the garage for weekend use, then maybe something older would be better. I'd love an RX-7 or NSX, but seeing today's prices compared to not so long ago makes me question my life choices, maybe a Clio cup or 106 rallye. The writing appears to be on the wall for the car market, maybe sitting it out for a few months is a wise move. Even though I'm in my 40s, sim racing has caught my attention. After giving it a try recently, I was genuinely impressed by how immersive it felt, genuinely as if I was in control of a car. Given the state of today's roads, sim racing might just be the right path to take.

I haven't really talked much about the handling and driving, but I'd urge you all to take one out for an extended test drive. They're that good, and I'd be lying if I said it was my last Mazda.

Here is a cold start, because why not.

Last edited by MikeHunt on Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeskJockey

Re: EOTR MX-5 100th Anniversary Super 220

Post by DeskJockey »

Even with the lack of use, it sounds like you've enjoyed having it around. Sensible to move it on rather than let it slowly deteriorate through further lack of use.

The kids scale you measure the weight in, how does that translate to kilos? :lol:
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

MikeHunt wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:59 am Even though I'm in my 40s, sim racing has caught my attention. After giving it a try recently, I was genuinely impressed by how immersive it felt, genuinely as if I was in control of a car. Given the state of today's roads, sim racing might just be the right path to take.
Which game?

It’s highly addictive….

Edit: I also find myself perusing M5’s quite regularly at the moment. (Comp - I’m not interested in the CS with the premium that carries). A lot of bang for your buck at the moment for a v low mileage nearly-new car/rocket
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I really enjoyed sim racing, the setting up process (with VR - essential!) and a decent wheel was always too much of a pain and I don't have the room to keep it permanently in place.
MikeHunt wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:59 amMy shortlist includes an AMG GT, Panamera, Mulsanne or F-Type
I've got another suggestion for this list, but I can't remember what it is...
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Nice.. looks like you’ve got a fun few months ahead trying out the options! 😎
Cheers,

Ian
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:10 pm The kids scale you measure the weight in, how does that translate to kilos? :lol:
Opps, edited. :D
mik wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:13 pm Which game?
I played what is probably a high end piece of kit, but I’d made me realise how realistic these things are.
https://f1arcade.com/uk/birmingham
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Do we get to see any photos of the MX5? I didn’t realise how much you’d modded it.

Same thoughts as me - I was always able to justify an NA in the garage because they were cheap and didn’t depreciate. Not as cheap now but probably still a good buy.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I thought that I had shared more photos, I’ve added a few above.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ah, there are loads showing up now. Maybe was just my end.
mik

Post by mik »

MikeHunt wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:11 pm I played what is probably a high end piece of kit, but I’d made me realise how realistic these things are.
https://f1arcade.com/uk/birmingham
I can’t see what kit they are using for wheels & pedals, but obviously “full motion” seat isn’t low-end.

You don’t need to spend a fortune to get involved - can be really competitive (and tense) but it’s also a great way to realise a couple of hours have just evaporated. I got new pedals for Christmas (proper load-cell brake pedal) but very much towards the lower end of what you can spend. Dan has a tasty setup.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Matty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 pm I've got another suggestion for this list, but I can't remember what it is...
I probably shouldn’t ask, but do go on.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I can see pics now aswell, the wheels look especially lovely 😎
Cheers,

Ian
Matty

Post by Matty »

MikeHunt wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:09 pm
Matty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 pm I've got another suggestion for this list, but I can't remember what it is...
I probably shouldn’t ask, but do go on.
You should!

MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

mik wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:30 pm
I can’t see what kit they are using for wheels & pedals, but obviously “full motion” seat isn’t low-end.

You don’t need to spend a fortune to get involved - can be really competitive (and tense) but it’s also a great way to realise a couple of hours have just evaporated. I got new pedals for Christmas (proper load-cell brake pedal) but very much towards the lower end of what you can spend. Dan has a tasty setup.
A very high end setup indeed, circa £40k
https://www.vesaro.com/store/pc/viewPrd ... tegory=645

As you say, cheaper setups are available, even forza with a controller feels like a car.
Matty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:56 pm
You should!

Someone who lives in my road has one if these in this exact colour, I can see it now from my office window. There are a lot of positives, both head (bullet proof with a long warranty) and heart (sound), the only real kicker for me is the “lack” of power compared to the 550.
Matty

Post by Matty »

MikeHunt wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:18 am Someone who lives in my road has one if these in this exact colour, I can see it now from my office window. There are a lot of positives, both head (bullet proof with a long warranty) and heart (sound), the only real kicker for me is the “lack” of power compared to the 550.
If it's a Sport+ (wheels as above, carbon roof, and you can see the spoiler line on the boot) ask him if he wants to sell it :lol:
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

There has been a bit on the forum of late regarding MX5s which has led me to re-evaluate them as an 'evo' car. A friend has one that is about 10 years old and definitely a hoot to barrel around corners in. Perhaps I should take another look?

Great write up of a lovely looking car!
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:27 pm I can see pics now aswell, the wheels look especially lovely 😎
Since you added pics I've also refocussed on the EOTR elements rather than a sim racing setup (something like a Thrustmaster T-GT II wheel, plus TLCM pedals could be a good entry point - to see if you can actually spend the time doing it).

Completely agree about the wheels, and that kinda power level makes the MX5 way more attractive. I like.