Test drive report

MikeHunt

Re: Test drive report

Post by MikeHunt »

Interesting reading as I am also planning a similar shopping list. If I could go out and buy either a GRMN Supra or a Z4M with the M4 engine in, I probably would find it difficult to choose between those 2. But as its little more than a rumour right now, and as I cant afford a 992 Turbo, I have been thinking about replacing the mx5 with something more special.

Despite the negativity on the forums, the Emira is high on the list. It would have to be a v6 manual seneca blue without the upper black pack. Ive not seen a single car on the rod outside of road trips and places like caffeine and machine.

With petrol jags becoming extinct in the coming weeks, I would like an F-type but the quality issues would worry me and its probably more of a daily driver and not special enough to be occasional. I am tempted by an AMG GT, they are pretty rare but still probably more of a daily driver than a diet supercar.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

@Jobbo are you going to try the Emira i4? Think it would be an interesting comparison
Cheers,

Ian
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Also, Jobbo interior

Cheers,

Ian
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

That’s lovely
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

IanF wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:22 pm @Jobbo are you going to try the Emira i4? Think it would be an interesting comparison
No, really not interested in that version. It feels like the basis for a future hybrid version while the V6 makes a nice noise and has a lovely supercharger whine/howl when you clog it.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm I think we have a winner, despite the Emira forums....
One make forums are either "its the worst thing ever and will explode" or "It's the greatest car to ever grace the earth" and nothing inbetween.

But great news on the Emira 8-)
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Pleased Lotus are still the enthusiasts choice if you want something really special. Shame that still means they don't sell quite like they should :mrgreen:

Any other colours you'd consider Jobbo?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Excellent. Hope you find one soon.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

8-) Result!
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:13 pm Pleased Lotus are still the enthusiasts choice if you want something really special. Shame that still means they don't sell quite like they should :mrgreen:

Any other colours you'd consider Jobbo?
There were not many colour choices initially - I’d go for the dark grey but I’m not so keen on the very dark green, and the bright ones (blue and yellow) are a bit unbecoming. Perhaps the metallic red. I’m going to watch the prices like a hawk now but it’s obvious that blue or yellow cars, or ones with a tan interior, are the sub-£70k ones on Auto Trader.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yep, Emira is a very correct decision for me. Something like an mx5 seems like a missed opportunity to me.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:51 pm
IanF wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:22 pm @Jobbo are you going to try the Emira i4? Think it would be an interesting comparison
No, really not interested in that version. It feels like the basis for a future hybrid version while the V6 makes a nice noise and has a lovely supercharger whine/howl when you clog it.
Furry muff.. I’m an old f*vker though and would probably have an auto.. which may make the i4 (turbot) more appealing
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Apparently the V6 auto isn’t bad at all, Ian. At first I considered it - I completely missed the fact that there was a clutch pedal as I first started it 😂 Getting lazy, clearly. But I found if you leave it in 4th you can treat it pretty much like an auto except as you come to a stop and the gear change is rather nice; I bet if I tried the auto version I’d be happy but manual feels right.

Rich, as I said before: if Mazda limited the supply of MX5s everyone would want one - a 1 tonne rwd sports car with enough power now, an amazingly easy to use roof and the handling to throw it around on the road and not risk your life and your licence. Its ubiquity is its problem. I can get one in future and it wouldn’t be expensive so I don’t need to grab one now.

Really I’d like an Emira, a 911 and an MX5 but that’s a bit extravagant just to find out which I’d use most 😄 Based on my test drives the one I’d walk up to first is the Emira.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 pm Perhaps the metallic red.
Have a look at both the reds in the metal if you get the chance! :)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 am
In the GRP? :lol:

I'm pretty sure it's only Magma Red which was used on the 2023 cars which I'd be choosing from - looks nice in photos but I haven't seen it in the flesh. Is it a bit more marmite than I was thinking? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 1294392440

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

This is good news, we need an Emira on the forum.

I’m a Lotus fan but I’ve never got on with the looks of the Evora. If I have space in the future for another car, an Emira is top of the list.
mik

Post by mik »

Possibly useful vid (grit your teeth though - this dude is vying with Shmee for the highest rating on my unbearableometer).

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That is quite useful - the diamond cut alloys look much better in the flesh than photos, and the wheels are the same on all of them just finished differently so easy to paint silver or some shade of grey if I fancied; but on the Nimbus Grey car I'm not sure they work. I was also a bit concerned that the privacy glass - which is standard and a no-cost option to delete - might look a bit odd without the black roof (upper black pack). So it's filled in a couple more example specs for me. Had to turn the volume down though :lol:
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am
duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 am
In the GRP? :lol:

I'm pretty sure it's only Magma Red which was used on the 2023 cars which I'd be choosing from - looks nice in photos but I haven't seen it in the flesh. Is it a bit more marmite than I was thinking? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 1294392440

Red needs the black pack and darker wheels IMO.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think you're right Scott - any of the colours (yellow, blue and red) really work with the black pack. Nimbus works with or without.

Would be nice to see the new colours in the flesh, despite most of them being different shades of blue and silver.