Test drive report

V8Granite

Re: Test drive report

Post by V8Granite »

What’s the need for a new car ?

Tax reasons or just wanting a shiny new thing, I get all of them so I’m not being a dick.

What about a Cantage a few years old, bit of an event, more fun at lower speeds maybe and gorgeous looking.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Interesting write up.

You going to try an Emira or is that too far down your list of potentials?

Spoke to a couple of owners at the car meet I went to the other weekend who’d come along in their Emiras. They still own Elise & Exige respectively, but both wanted something that would suit longer road trips and potentially act as an “almost daily”.

They both originally had orders in for the i4 but drove the V6 IPS in the interim and flipped to that instead. Both reckoned the IPS is mapped far better than it was in the Evora.

This post is brought to you by the word “both” :?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:43 am I still havent driven a a110, probably should avoid doing so. I think that I would want the R but it feels way to expensive for what it is. I think that Id prefer an Alfa 4C, used prices for 2018/19 cars are pretty similar.

The Mazda is a lot of car for the money and seems like there are a lot of cars simailrly discounted. Id defiantly hold out for the facelift with recaros and the bigger screen. Did you see my reply further back in this thread about rust?
I saw John's post about rust; have just found yours which I missed. I guess if I buy a brand new 2024 one I should get it rust-protected from brand new.

The bigger screen for Carplay was something I'd read but ignored; actually, after driving the A110 which has a massive plinth round a 7" or so screen, I'd want the bigger screen now. Not to the extent I'd pay vastly more for it (that's justified by the Recaros) but it's a nice to have.

Not sure I like any of the MX5 colours more than the A110 ones; but it's not as if they're about to stop making MX5s so I can wait for a special edition or something :lol:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:43 am . I think that Id prefer an Alfa 4C, used prices for 2018/19 cars are pretty similar.
I really miss my 4C, I've been looking at Spiders again - but they won't come close to any of the mentioned cars here for dynamics. Solid residuals, though.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:48 am What’s the need for a new car ?

Tax reasons or just wanting a shiny new thing, I get all of them so I’m not being a dick.

What about a Cantage a few years old, bit of an event, more fun at lower speeds maybe and gorgeous looking.

Dave!
I drive a diesel estate Dave. It's a nice diesel estate but I miss having something I just want to take for a spin on a sunny summer morning. The Jimny isn't going because it's too much fun in its own right, but it's not for a trip to the coast of Wales.

Now I have plenty of space for something additional I may as well get it. I have no desire for a Vantage; I think with cars like that the 'event' part lasts one or maybe two trips and after that the foibles and niggles, plus the running costs, would simply be irritating. Would much rather have a toy; something light like a Caterham or an Elise would be good but I'd never drive them in the working week. And I know from experience that I've never regretted having an MX5 in the garage; but I have regretted selling them.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I do like the looks/image of the A110, and I'm beginning to come around to the idea of a two "car" garage. I've always been a staunch supporter of having one car that can do everything - fast and practical (basically an //M). But, I'm considering a small fast car and a van/pickup pairing next.

I'd still like an Elise, but the A110 does appeal - especially as it seems a little more practical for daily use.

I'll have to try and have a go on one.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I didn’t mean new to you, I meant as in such a new car in age.

There is such a big amount to choose from at least.

Dave!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Enjoying this series Jobbo, as Mike says, Emira next please 😁
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:59 pm I didn’t mean new to you, I meant as in such a new car in age.
Because used cars have been stupidly overpriced since COVID. And because whatever I get I expect to keep for a very long time, since there may not be many more new ICE cars introduced; it'll be the last of the line so now seems a good time to buy.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I know the world has moved on price wise but to me I'd struggle to justify spending £120k on a 911 that isn't a Turbo S or a GT car. Plus the depreciation is going to be very sizeable on a nearly new car.

If I were stretching into that price bracket (and putting myself in your shoes with preference from the easy drivability of a turbo car), I'd be getting a 488 (e.g. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... qw&fromsra).

I also like the Alpines but they're just too much money for something with a 4cyl Renault engine in them. For the money they fetch I'd be buying an Exige instead.

ETA - for £120/30k I'd get myself a 4.0 GT3 and take the wing off if I wanted to be discreet https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... qw&fromsra
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

There are Emiras sat waiting for a test drive in Hockley Heath @Jobbo
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

GG. wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:35 pm
ETA - for £120/30k I'd get myself a 4.0 GT3 and take the wing off if I wanted to be discreet https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... qw&fromsra
That's awesome!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:31 pm There are Emiras sat waiting for a test drive in Hockley Heath @Jobbo
Better place to start a test drive than Shirley High Street 😄
I am going to have to try one, aren’t I?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Colleague of mine has just got an A110, he's very happy with it. I'm looking forward to my p-ride next time we're on site together. I do like that green one you linked. For me they are rare enough to seem special, and they seem to have a growing enthusiastic following / community if that's something that is of interest.

I've spoken to a couple of Emira owners in person now, and they seem to adore them, which doesn't match what you read on the Internet. Got to be worth a look.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a vanilla 911, great if you want a sports car you can daily and lug around a small child in the back (so yeah, I'd like one as a 3rd car), but in your (rather wonderful) situation if I was getting a Porsche I'd only consider GT-series.

The MX5 ticks a lot of boxes, it just seems like this is an opportunity to get something really special, is it special enough? Even after driving my mum's shonky mk3, I do get it, but I'm not sure one could ever give me this same buzz as my Elise.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I can see me getting a 911 in a year or two and it being my go-to every day car. I don’t want a GT version; I’d always rather have something more focused like an Elise or Caterham.

The Emira has to be worth trying. If it still doesn’t make me buy it on the spot then I’ll try another MX5 and if I don’t alight on that I guess a late supercharged Elise is probably it.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:10 am
The Emira has to be worth trying.
Try and get a drive in a tour chassis car - as I think that will be better suited to what you are looking for (?). The car I drove had the Sport chassis and whilst it still had suppleness it was significantly more jiggly than my Evora.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

After watching Harry’s videos there’s no way I’d want anything but the Tour chassis. So yes, agreed.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:10 am I can see me getting a 911 in a year or two and it being my go-to every day car. I don’t want a GT version; I’d always rather have something more focused like an Elise or Caterham.

The Emira has to be worth trying. If it still doesn’t make me buy it on the spot then I’ll try another MX5 and if I don’t alight on that I guess a late supercharged Elise is probably it.
All makes sense, I hope you like the Emira, it seems like it aligns very closely with your criteria and they definitely have the wow factor, a great bit of design. I think of the colours I've seen in the metal Magma Red works really well.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I must say after reading your A110 write up, I thought a Boxster Spyder would be a good candidate for what you’re looking for..
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I loved the original Boxster Spyder but I’d not have one - the roof is stupid and one of the joys of a Boxster is the easy, quick convertible top.

Plus they’re bloody expensive so buying a 911 instead is a no-brainer; I’ve had that discussion previously with Rich about buying a not-a-911.