Test drive report

duncs500

Re: Test drive report

Post by duncs500 »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:10 am I think of the colours I've seen in the metal Magma Red works really well.
Correction, I think it must be Vivid Red I'm thinking of, saw Magma Red today and it's nice but perhaps a bit dark.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

They've got a GT3 RS at Porsche Wolverhampton, drove past it this morning - want me to go and give it a once over & a quick test drive for you? Unfortunately it looks like they sold the Mansory one, so you missed out on that :(
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'm arranging an Emira test drive. Have had quite a bit of discussion with the Alpine dealer; they have found one in Alpine Blue with comfort seats which is far more to my taste and I would definitely say it has grown on me since the test drive; there was a lot I liked and it is quite a special thing.

There's a long thread on PH about Emira prices; if that is anything to go buy I should get a 2023 car with delivery miles for less than a new MX5 soon :lol: I'm not trying to catch a falling knife when it comes to a deal; I think with an A110 or Emira there will be a level below which they never fall.

Have also had some thoughts about a 997 after @Robinoz sent me an advert for one which looked excellent at a very sensible price; I hadn't appreciated that the dip in used prices for 911 generations had reached the 997 properly yet. Buy one now, keep it years and it'll probably appreciate by 2030.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I don't think Emira prices will shift much - they certainly haven't recently (within the last 6 months) after their initial tumble.

I suspect the Evora's strong prices are propping them up somewhat. How long that continues is another question - base Evora's have been at 25k for the last 10 years (!) but with Evora 400 prices at 40-50k, the GT410's 50-65k leaving the Emira perched at 65k+ I don't forsee the bottom falling out of the market.

If there's one thing Lotus tends to be great for, far more than other brands, it's residuals.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

There speaks a man who didn’t live through the era of Eclats, Excels et al.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:51 pm
Have also had some thoughts about a 997 after @Robinoz sent me an advert for one which looked excellent at a very sensible price; I hadn't appreciated that the dip in used prices for 911 generations had reached the 997 properly yet. Buy one now, keep it years and it'll probably appreciate by 2030.
Which Gen / flavour?

Adjusted for mileage mine appreciated whilst I owned it...
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It was a 2006 997.1 Carrera S in silver with about 52k miles which sold on Collecting Cars for £23,500. Having done a bit of googling and looking at adverts there seems to be a very wide price range between an early 997.1 and late 997.2; I’m sure that is partly down to bore scoring being perceived as a big problem on the pre-DFI cars.

Might end up looking at late 997s or early 991s too, for a more comparable price point to the Alpine. A 992 is always going to be on a PCP and for a second car I’d rather own outright; that way I’m not paying interest for something I’m not using most of the week.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

With a massive amount of experience (probably 100 miles between them) the 997 felt far more flat and less playful than the 996.

What about a good 996 Turbo, although the turbo running costs are a step up from a regular Carrera.

Dave!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Coincidentally I was send this yesterday: https://www.brightwells.com/timed-sale/ ... 3fpage%3d5

Brightwells is not the usual sort of place you'd find a 996 Turbo for auction. Might be cheap.
GG.

Post by GG. »

That turbo is a tip - are you looking for a manual or an auto. If the latter you need to go for a 997.2 with the PDK IMO.

I'd always spend the extra on the 997.2 having owned one and driven my fathers 997.1. Its mandatory to retrofit the PSE sports exhaust (as I did) but that can be done easily and retains the switching on the dash.

There are many fewer available so will always keep a good premium over the Gen 1 for that reason as well as the better engine and gearbox.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:40 am With a massive amount of experience (probably 100 miles between them) the 997 felt far more flat and less playful than the 996.

What about a good 996 Turbo, although the turbo running costs are a step up from a regular Carrera.

Dave!

The scourge of massive wheels and tyres that fell upon us in the early 2000's :D

996 started out with 205/255 tyres and the 997 finished with 235/305 tyres :cry:
GG.

Post by GG. »

With the particular chassis dynamics of a 911 I'm not against ensuring it has the maximum traction available...

Even with 295s on the back of mine, across a twisty B-road in Scotland over crests and dips you can feel the rear subtly moving and shimmying across the road surface - I'm not sure I'd want it moving around more than it did...

I also had a couple of big-ish moments where a compression through a bit of a bend in the road had the weight over the rear really pull laterally in quite dramatic fashion at pretty big speeds - the extra traction of the larger tyres possibly made the difference between a bowel loosening moment and a big accident!

If you're Walter Rorhl then fill your boots but for the majority of the rest of us its not a car you want to get out of shape on a public road.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

GG. wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:14 pm With the particular chassis dynamics of a 911 I'm not against ensuring it has the maximum traction available...

Even with 295s on the back of mine, across a twisty B-road in Scotland over crests and dips you can feel the rear subtly moving and shimmying across the road surface - I'm not sure I'd want it moving around more than it did...

I also had a couple of big-ish moments where a compression through a bit of a bend in the road had the weight over the rear really pull laterally in quite dramatic fashion at pretty big speeds - the extra traction of the larger tyres possibly made the difference between a bowel loosening moment and a big accident!

If you're Walter Rorhl then fill your boots but for the majority of the rest of us its not a car you want to get out of shape on a public road.
The difference I felt, possibly also by the profile, was it not following the road and that grip just went. This was me playing but I’m definitely not an arse out driver by any means, I just like warning of things happening. The 996 moved about and gave you advance warning of you running out of grip/ talent. The 997 just didn’t send those messages to me.

With how little true performance you can use on the road, the more talkative 996 was a big bonus. If anything it was more helpful to me as an average driver as apposed to someone with the skill to play a bit.

The only real way to know is for Simon to buy any car we suggest and give an in-depth review after a month of ownership.

Dave!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I always felt my 996 was benign on 255 tyres. Perhaps the higher levels of grip from bigger tyres meant you are travelling much quicker requiring a greater level of skill to explore.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Maybe relevant to post this here as much as the fleet running reports - my son is now tall enough to sit without a child seat so he now ocassionally travels in the front of the 911 when his mum is not with us.

He got to do that on Sunday and I took him down Harry's road (which he has seen in the videos). Cue much shouting, "aaarghs" and general excitement. When we got to the end he wanted us to go back and do it again :lol: 8-)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:56 am That turbo is a tip
Shed was my first thought but tip is equally valid.

Oh, you mean gearbox! Yes, it’s the unloved one. Much like anything Porsche, there are people who get sniffy like never having a Targa but equally people who love them. I’m not going near that 996 at Brightwells but I am intrigued how much it goes for. Got to be bottom of the market.

With the 997, the version that always grabbed me was the 997.1 GT3. At a sensible price (hey, they were once…) my heart would probably rule and I’d buy one.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Alpine test drive?
mik

Post by mik »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:14 pm Alpine test drive?
Page 3.

NEXT!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:19 pm
drcarlos wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:14 pm Alpine test drive?
Page 3.

NEXT!
Ta read another thread and mis read the date.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:53 am Coincidentally I was send this yesterday: https://www.brightwells.com/timed-sale/ ... 3fpage%3d5

Brightwells is not the usual sort of place you'd find a 996 Turbo for auction. Might be cheap.
Hit £25k, did not meet reserve. If anyone wants to know what the bottom of the market is for 996 Turbos.