Apple Vision Pro

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Apple Vision Pro

Post by Gavster »

The idea of these goggles has always seemed slightly ludicrous to me and assumed they ould always be a niche product, as a VR headset with some fancy features. Also the price tag is wild.

Reviews started dropping on YouTube this week and Marques Brownlee's assessment of them is great while leaving me wondering why anyone would wear these indoors when they have a good desktop computer setup

Then I watched Casey Neistat's review, who looks at the world upside down and brought an entirely new perspective as to how these could be the future of computing. This is definitely the one to watch and has left me wondering if Apple managed to really take a big step forward.

Simon

Re: Apple Vision Pro

Post by Simon »

The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

:lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I read someone else say Apple Vision seems like the technology of the future but built with todays tech and that's exactly how I feel about it. No doubt it'll be great in maybe 5 years time. Get that battery integrated in the headset, make it a bit lighter, have actual transparent lenses which project a heads up display image instead of the creepy workaround. Feels incomplete for me which is rare for an Apple product but it's also so complex you have to start somewhere.
Can see it being useful for office work once they nail the eye tracking.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

@Mito Man has summed it up. They are the best version of this idea that's ever been shipped, but the more I read about it, the more I think it's raising questions about what the use case is for these.

Watching movies on these looks absolutely epic. I'd 100% see myself doing that on a long flight or at night on my own if everyone is in bed. But not for £3500.

The other use case that does appeal is that on my main office I have lots of monitors around me with apps and windows everywhere. But it's quite nice to work off a laptop sometimes in another room or even in the garden in the summer. Something like this headset would remove the small, single screen limitation of the laptop.

It's interesting, but definitely a v1 product.
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The other thing is that many devs have deliberately disallowed their apps to run on it, like Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, etc, so you enjoyment from 'watching a movie' will be limited to those apps that are allowed to run.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If I flew more I’d be tempted to buy an Oculus Quest 2 to watch movies with on the airplane, but that’s only £250. I’ve never used my Oculus Rift to view 2D movies though, I’d want exclusive 3D titles on something that costs as much as a Vision Pro.

Only other thing from a gaming perspective is that you’ve got this incredible piece of hardware but it is limited by having its own proprietary software so you can’t ever utilise it on say Steam which then leaves it as mainly a pure work tool. But it’s a lot of money for a laptop with a little more privacy strapped to your head.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Its cool. As a tech nerd, that would be the only reason for buying one of these just now. Its going to be really interesting to see what devs do with it and if this is the beginning of something new or if it just fizzles out or becomes something different.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:29 amor at night on my own if everyone is in bed. But not for £3500.
definitely too much to pay for a crafty wank.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Not particularly crafty, people might not be able to see what you're looking at but they can see what you're.... doing.

Fun fact, a Uni friend of mine had a wank during one of his final exams.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:50 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:29 amor at night on my own if everyone is in bed. But not for £3500.
The VR wank scenario is the modern version of the 'opened my eyes and there was a cuppa on the side' yarn :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

We need two nerdy geeks in The Octogon wearing these, with the headsight providing realtime guidance on where to punch/kick their opponent. Surely we can monetise that? :?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:20 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:50 pm
The VR wank scenario is the modern version of the 'opened my eyes and there was a cuppa on the side' yarn :lol:
yeah, you've got to be CONFIDENT you're home alone...
Beany

Post by Beany »

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I think our brains are soon going to melt from information overload. It's bad enough have a smartphone that you have to fight to stop overdosing on unnecessary crap, now he's got it set up so he just has it all around him. I want less of this shit personally (must be getting old).
mik

Post by mik »

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Isn't it going to be exhausting having a big lump stuck to your face all day and needing to wave your arms around the whole time to do anything ?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, I expect for practical work usage, VR will be like touch screen monitors. Quite useful Now and then, but ultimately way more effort than a mouse.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:53 am I think our brains are soon going to melt from information overload. It's bad enough have a smartphone that you have to fight to stop overdosing on unnecessary crap, now he's got it set up so he just has it all around him. I want less of this shit personally (must be getting old).
I recently bought a second iPhone to run my social media from, so that my own phone remains 'personal' and creates a boundary. All that happens now is that I do a load of social media stuff, put that phone down, then pick up my own phone and start checking stuff on that. I've basically created additional screentime :lol:

That is the negative view, because in reality, I'm also implementing tools and processes that reduce the amount of time I need to make content, so it will have a pay-off.