Lexus image in the UK

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Lexus image in the UK

Post by Matty »

So I've been shopping for an LC500 for a while now. Pretty much given up, limited budget, rare car and me wanting a specific spec...but also because I refuse to pay 10% more to buy from a dealer on a warrantied car. Thing is, typical Lexus owners don't sell privately, nor do they hang around on forums or FB groups....because I'm sure the average age of Lexus ownership is 63 (the LC was described as a "retired dentists car").

I went onto to a Scottish Lexus dealer and scrolled through all their "Sold to..." pictures. Not a single picture contained a happy new owner with their original hair colour. Roughly 25% of pictures had zimmer frames or walking sticks.

But the US Lexus forums/FB groups? Air rides, spoiler mods, big exhaust, huge rafts of carbon stuck on. The Lexus F brand seems to be on par with AMG and BMW for brand admiration whereas here....I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone who's even considered a Lexus in lieu of Audi/Merc/BMW. Isn't even on the radar, which is odd becuase the same people who don't consider them will also tell you they're aware of the reliability and excellent dealer network.

I kinda get why people swerve Alfa - still got the historical taint of reliability they've never shaken off, plus terrible dealer network. So what's the reason no one under pensionable age buys Lexus over here?
integrale_evo

Re: Lexus image in the UK

Post by integrale_evo »

Lexus are the cheaper more sensible alternative to a bmw or Mercedes, much like Skoda are to vw

Or something.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

They’re quite expensive and don’t obviously offer anything more than BMW, Merc and Audi. They also haven’t done any estates apart from the IS Sportcross which was introduced the best part of 25 years ago.

The IS also gives a clue as to the image problem: Alan Partridge 😂
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

My old business partner’s dad got a Lexus when he retired, he absolutely loved it 😂

The idea of Japanese luxury cars doesn’t seem to have taken hold in the UK at all, as if we see Japanese vehicles as utilitarian devices.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The performance versions are always highly regarded by journalists and amongst car guys but you're never going to be the coolest guy on the estate.

But those who know, know and i like that 8-)

I'm sure the Lexus experience is the next step up but the way my daughter has been looked after buying an 8yr old GT86 is way better than the service and experience i have had from buying and owning warranted and even new BMW's. 10% may be worth that?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They’re not in any motorsport around here, they didn’t make a decent drivers car for years and started off making executive cars and SUVs with beige leather, sports cars good but not as good as AMG or M, if you’re a younger person who wants a sports car Toyota cover that segment of the market far better.
How about not having a sig at all?
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Im not sure if you need to prove membership of a golf club and do a secret handshake to get a discount on a Lexus. I have relatives in California who love Acuras, its it me or do certain cars look cooler abroad? I remember really wanting the big Infiniti suv but somehow they look drab back home.

There is an RC F locally, I have seen it driven enthusiastically and it sounds awesome. I would be tempted by an LC, they are a great place to sit, very rare and the 10 year warranty is a plus.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I don't think they really know what they want to be. They made big bland barges with flat seats and dull designs. Then they made a crazy supercar with an awesome engine. Then they made big bland barges with flat seats and jarring designs. Then they made a weird folding converable with zero sporting aspirations (and flat seats). Then they make smaller coupe barges with flat seat and jarring designs.

Overall, it's clearly the flat seats that are putting me off.

The seats of a performance coupe. They look like they belong in a Chrysler sedan.

NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Lexus is the new Rover (in terms of UK ownership demographic).
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I think you’re all missing the Lexus RX which has sold pretty well in the U.K. - you see them everywhere.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

MikeHunt wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:03 am ...do certain cars look cooler abroad?
In all seriousness, colours do look different abroad, more specifically it's about the latitude. Closer to the equator the light from the sun has less atmosphere to get through and is whiter. Further from the equator more of the blue end of the spectrum is absorbed and the light gets yellower.

All of the (mainland) USA is further south than all of the UK. London is further north than Calgary and the very southernmost point of Alaska ! Los Angeles & San Diego are at the same latitude as North Africa.

IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0105.jpg (220.3 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Always found it odd how our weather is so mild compared to the USA who get those crazy cold weather bombs. Or even many countries to our East in Europe.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:59 am Always found it odd how our weather is so mild compared to the USA who get those crazy cold weather bombs. Or even many countries to our East in Europe.
You weren't paying attention in first year geography class I guess ?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:04 am I don't think they really know what they want to be. They made big bland barges with flat seats and dull designs. Then they made a crazy supercar with an awesome engine. Then they made big bland barges with flat seats and jarring designs. Then they made a weird folding converable with zero sporting aspirations (and flat seats). Then they make smaller coupe barges with flat seat and jarring designs.

Overall, it's clearly the flat seats that are putting me off.

The seats of a performance coupe. They look like they belong in a Chrysler sedan.

It was specifically the seats which my business partner’s father loved, he said they were the most supportive he’d had in any car. Have you sat in any? Or is it the look of the seats that you dislike?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

@Rich B that's the most unflattering picture of those I've seen :lol: they do look great in red/grey. It's clearly more about confort than outright performance with them also being heated and cooled. The car itself is more around distance as a "Sporty GT" rather than a direct performance coupe.

Would have been interesting to see how a LC-F would have turned out.
NGRhodes wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:06 am Lexus is the new Rover (in terms of UK ownership demographic).
Lexus marketing team will love you for that one.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:07 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:59 am Always found it odd how our weather is so mild compared to the USA who get those crazy cold weather bombs. Or even many countries to our East in Europe.
I learned about this by literally not giving a shit about geography and hard-failing a short essay on this very subject 8-)

I switched to history when the opportunity came up, which was far more interesting to me.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Pfft. You’re living in the past.
Beany

Post by Beany »

The future is now, old man, etc.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:17 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:07 pm
I learned about this by literally not giving a shit about geography and hard-failing a short essay on this very subject 8-)

I switched to history when the opportunity came up, which was far more interesting to me.
Similar here, my entire geography education consisted of my teacher putting on Dante’s peak once a term and visiting beaches to look at erosion :lol:
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

You need to take a trip to Castle Douglas to learn all about it.