CCTV Recorder

Holley

CCTV Recorder

Post by Holley »

We've had our Irlab CCTV installed about 7 years ago and the digital recorder box has stopped working. Original installer hasn't returned our calls so had a different company round that was recommended by a neighbour. Wife said the technician recommended replacing the whole system at £1700 which seems a tad extreme.

Can I literally buy any off the shelf recorder and plug it in or is it much more complicated? (camera's work and monitor still working, just no ability to record).
GG.

Re: CCTV Recorder

Post by GG. »

I can't see why you cannot just replace with a plug and play new PVR box.

What output do the cameras have - are they IP connections?

My other question would be what resolution are the cameras? If they are less than 4k then it may be worth swapping them but again you should be able to replace the cameras at the end of the cabling.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Is it totally dead or just the hard drives?
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

I use blink cameras with cloud storage for much cheapness. Some are hard wired some used lithiam batteries. Batteries last a couple of months dependant on traffic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/38 ... ementat-21
Holley

Post by Holley »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:50 am Is it totally dead or just the hard drives?
I don't know, but replacing the box looks pretty cheap. Seen this for £70...

Holley

Post by Holley »

GG. wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:37 am I can't see why you cannot just replace with a plug and play new PVR box.

My other question would be what resolution are the cameras? If they are less than 4k then it may be worth swapping them but again you should be able to replace the cameras at the end of the cabling.
They're not connected to the internet
Holley

Post by Holley »

Holley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:35 pm
GG. wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:37 am I can't see why you cannot just replace with a plug and play new PVR box.

They're not connected to the internet

Definitely not 4k
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just check what connector your existing cameras have, being pretty old I imagine they’re analogue BNC rather than Ethernet and it should all be plug and play.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes - and a modern box should still be internet enabled and have an app even if an analogue feed

If you just want to keep the existing system going a bit longer then just swapping the box will be fine.

In the long run moving to a PoE system with 4k cameras would be worthwhile. You can buy the kits online and have them installed - depending on number of cameras a budget of under £1000 should be achievable. £1700 is a lot unless you have a v big house / 8 cameras.

ETA:
https://uk.annke.com/products/h800-8ch ... PHEALw_wcB

You can mix and match turret (wide angle) and bullet (typically more zoomed in) cameras as well depending on the application.

ETAF: just checked and my guy did install in London (4 cameras, box in top room) easyish install as terraced house, for £300. There was a bit of extra cost for junction boxes and mounts IIRC.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

What's the most reliable cameras and system for an outdoor setup these days? We have Ring cameras at the current house and compared to Hikvision ones, they are utterly bombproof and the software is great, albeit I have to pay Amazon for storage.

With the next house being built from scratch, I can ensure there's power or ethernet in the right places, so has the software on these traditional systems caught up with stuff like Ring now in terms of useability, smartphone apps etc?
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don't think Hik motion detection and alert system is anywhere near as good as Ring but that system is 3 years old now, but it was pretty shit 3 years ago. I'd still have a dumb system that is constantly recording along side these smart wifi cameras which also have their obvious drawbacks.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I have a Tapo indoor one for keeping an eye on the dogs. Works well and has sd card slot for constant recording. Also has motion alert but I can’t comment on that feature because I had to disable it- with 2 mental dogs running around it would be constant notifications