BMW Snow Course in Austria

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

BMW Snow Course in Austria

Post by Ascender »

Mrs Mike has always wanted to learn how to drive sideways and get a bit more confidence behind the wheel as well as seeing how the car handles when there's no electronic aids, so we signed up for one of the BMW Snow Drift courses. It's up at St. Leonhard im Pitztal, about 90 minute drive from Innsbruck.

Hire car lottery gods were not smiling and we got a hybrid Yaris, which is now one of these small SUV-styled things. LHD car, driving on the right took a bit of getting used-to with the amount of car on the right hand side. I think it would have been quicker to adjust with my own car but was all good by day two.

Hundreds of miles... not one pot hole. They do seem to like the traffic to flow on the country roads with hardly any traffic lights or stops, but the driving from the locals seems to assume they can just join the main road at any time and you'll slow down/avoid them.

8 participants split in to two groups of four. Driving is done in M4s and M2s - you get to do each exercise in each car so can feel the difference in handling. The M2 is like a go-cart in comparison to the M4 - very good fun for the short, tight slalom stuff, but by later in the day the M4 was very good fun for higher-speed, longer drifting.

One instructor per group - they have radios in each group of cars so can talk to everyone with instruction and individual tips etc without having to get in and out of the car. They sometimes took people out for bits of 1 on 1demos, but the format did seem designed to maximise the time actually driving which was good.

Our instructor works for M so does his day job and the training - winter courses and summer track-based stuff in Germany. They're currently testing the new M5 and sounds like they absolutely love their job. Spending a week up in northern Sweden testing cars on quiet roads and frozen lakes... He says the new M5, despite its size and weight, is mind-bendingly fast, but does take a bit of getting used to compared to the M3 to get it up to speed on the twisty stuff. So the jury is still out for me...

Cars had short spiked tyres and other than that its just a case of turning everything off, use the paddles and put the engine in Sport+.

Morning is about building up the technique on tight slalom, round cones etc - then its doing J turns in the afternoon followed by a single longer course with one side of slalom, a long drift space at the bottom end and then wider gates for faster, longer drifts on the way back up.

A few wee pics and videos although it's kind of difficult to get many because you're behind the wheel so much and there's hardly any time out of the car which is great.

Mrs Mike wants to go back... my boy also wants to go... so need to see. They do one over a couple of days in Sweden which is apparently a good progression, but €€€€€€.... Was a great way to spend a day though.

J Turn Practice

Chasing Mrs Mike

Calm steering demo for Mrs Mike - 9 & 3... no "washing dishes" please

Arriving for theory briefing followed by a 6 course meal together with the participants and instructors

View from the room

Hat merch

The cars

Driving onto the practice area

Thoughtful

Honestly, the back end does look good in the flesh

Grey
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Re: BMW Snow Course in Austria

Post by mik »

Looks like fun 8-)

The proper and correct steering demo pleased me. :geek:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

That looks great! Apart from the German pr0n star voice over.. or was that you!? 😂
Cheers,

Ian
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:50 pm Looks like fun 8-)

The theory is to get that nailed at slow speeds at the start so its second nature as the speed increases, which is good in theory... but not as easy in practice....
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That looks great fun. I’d heard of the Sweden one but didn’t realise they did one in Austria. I’d probably prefer Austria for the great mountain roads and cities there vs Lapland which has nothing else going for it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:18 pm That looks great fun. I’d heard of the Sweden one but didn’t realise they did one in Austria. I’d probably prefer Austria for the great mountain roads and cities there vs Lapland which has nothing else going for it.
We loved Austria and are already planning a trip back.

I guess with Sweden that's why they do so much testing up there. Apart from the temperatures and conditions, they were saying that once you get above a certain point the roads are just deserted. Less good to visit though I guess...
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:59 pm

The theory is to get that nailed at slow speeds at the start so its second nature as the speed increases, which is good in theory... but not as easy in practice....
True. The trick is to keep the discipline going now (and forevahhhhhhhhh more) 8-)
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:24 pm
Ascender wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:59 pm

True. The trick is to keep the discipline going now (and forevahhhhhhhhh more) 8-)
Their method definitely is calm, controlled and low energy :D

I have work to do!
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

That looks bloody brilliant 8-)
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Thanks for sharing Mike, looks like top fun :D
mik

Post by mik »

Take this next time.

Ascender

Post by Ascender »

:lol: 8-)

Sideways, all the time.
Cheers,

Mike.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

This. And also this. Looks amazing 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.