First Cars - Insurance

Nic

Re: First Cars - Insurance

Post by Nic »

Carlos wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:36 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:22 pm I’m more surprised that it’s a sensible quote with the NFU who I can only describe as the biggest thieves in the insurance industry :lol:
That's not my experience or the experience of many of my rural clients!
Took two weeks for the underwriters to review and agree it, i believe a lot has to do with your relationship with your local branch.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Nic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:53 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:20 pm
Nic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:32 am My 17 year old has a w204 C180 manual coupe. £800 a year to insure with NFU, I’m on the policy as well. Car was £5600 when I bought it but quite a few saloons/estates or ropey coupes available for £3k.

Surprisingly cheap for what is a pretty nice car.
is that as a learner or passed?
Currently learner, price doesn’t change once he’s passed. It was £120 a year to add him as a second driver to my van.
Thats damn good - always nice to find these loopholes!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Add NFU to LV who don't ask for a loading or cancellation on passing then 8-)
Nic

Post by Nic »

Side note, NFU wouldn’t insure me on an E63 due to no relevant experience. It’s an odd world insurance.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

My son passed today so paying the £1500 on his birthday 2 months ago with LV will be worth it.

If I had to insure his car now he's passed without telematics would be £3760 for a year.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Currently looking for my younger boy. He is 17 and getting to the stage where he wants a car to practice in.

Cheapest so far is a classic mini but he hates them and budget fro something decent is way outside of his price range anyway.
Quote for him passing at the moment would be about £2000
Tried all sorts including the usually suspects:
Polo, Corsa, Fiesta, Bini and Aygo - Ranges from 2800-3600
The Panda Active came in at £2200

Tried classic Volvos, Micras and Saabs only the Micra (an old 1980's 1.0DX) was sensible at £2800.
tim

Post by tim »

On a similar subject, my lad will be 16 in December this year and I'm intending to buy him a scooter/ped to knock about on. I've no clue what the insurance scene is like for that end of the market - anyone done similar?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:05 pm Currently looking for my younger boy. He is 17 and getting to the stage where he wants a car to practice in.

Cheapest so far is a classic mini but he hates them and budget fro something decent is way outside of his price range anyway.

Tried classic Volvos, Micras and Saabs only the Micra (an old 1980's 1.0DX) was sensible at £2800.
Try a Citroen C1, Skoda Citigo or Seat Mii.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mk2 golf GTi was about the cheapest thing we got quotes on when my step daughter was learning. Didn’t actually fancy letting here loose in it though :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:05 pm Currently looking for my younger boy. He is 17 and getting to the stage where he wants a car to practice in.

We're paying about £2800 for a Corsa at the moment and spent time going through those different options like you did but gave up and are just sucking up the cost.

He's been given a van from his work which he can also use for personal use, so we thought that might reduce the premium a bit as they do ask if you have access to any other car, but its not made any difference.

Some black box policies might reduce the cost a bit, but even that's been hit and miss according to his friends' experience recently when trying to get insured.
Cheers,

Mike.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Carlos wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:57 pm

Tried the Mii and that came in at 2.8k as well. I started messing with other potential variables, excess, cover level (TPF&T always used to be about 50% cheaper and I figured maybe a £500 snotter for a year on TPF&T cover might be a good idea) driving less at peak times and they made no real difference. The only thing that really does impact it is a years experience, age and NCB, suddenly it drops by more than 50%.

So it looks like we will like @Ascender have to just suck it up and pay.

Although now I know what worst case is I can always try a few brokers direct and see if we can get a better deal there. We've said that he needs his theory passed before we take the plunge as we don't want a repeat of the first one where we had to pay to run his car for about 2 years because he was fannying around getting tests.
Beany

Post by Beany »

How about the oft rumoured trick of quoting on something like a Volvo V40/Mondeo/X-type etc? IE something that doesn't get spat into a ditch by teenagers on the regular....
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

First gen c class Mercs used to be cheap to insure for young drivers, but I don’t know how it is these days.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402266967781
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Jimexpl wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:22 pm First gen c class Mercs used to be cheap to insure for young drivers, but I don’t know how it is these days.

I will run a few more quotes, that merc is really nice and he wants something classic and interesting, that especially in that colour (he liked the classic ls400 in green over Grey two tone) he'd love.

The volvo v is a good shout too, maybe a classic mondeo if we can find one without cracked bumpers :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:11 pm

Tried the Mii and that came in at 2.8k as well. I started messing with other potential variables, excess, cover level (TPF&T always used to be about 50% cheaper and I figured maybe a £500 snotter for a year on TPF&T cover might be a good idea) driving less at peak times and they made no real difference. The only thing that really does impact it is a years experience, age and NCB, suddenly it drops by more than 50%.

Although now I know what worst case is I can always try a few brokers direct and see if we can get a better deal there. We've said that he needs his theory passed before we take the plunge as we don't want a repeat of the first one where we had to pay to run his car for about 2 years because he was fannying around getting tests.
Yeah, we spent what seemed like days on it with different sites, comparison sites and all that jazz. As you know, there's no quick way to just get a quote without going through the same questions over and over again on different sites.

LV insured him on his provisional license and when it came to renewal time, gave him a full year's NCB. Which of course we can't use anywhere else because having then just turned 18, other insurance companies say he's not old enough to have had a year's NCB....
Cheers,

Mike.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Jimexpl wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:22 pm First gen c class Mercs used to be cheap to insure for young drivers, but I don’t know how it is these days.

£6200 on the Merc! It seems the loop holes are being closed off and nothing is immune to scalping now.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Ascender wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:32 am

Yeah, we spent what seemed like days on it with different sites, comparison sites and all that jazz. As you know, there's no quick way to just get a quote without going through the same questions over and over again on different sites.

LV insured him on his provisional license and when it came to renewal time, gave him a full year's NCB. Which of course we can't use anywhere else because having then just turned 18, other insurance companies say he's not old enough to have had a year's NCB....

Had he passed his test?
Nic

Post by Nic »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:03 pm

£6200 on the Merc! It seems the loop holes are being closed off and nothing is immune to scalping now.
Try a newer model like the w204. Keep it under <2litre and make sure it’s a manual.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Nic wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:20 pm
drcarlos wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:03 pm

Try a newer model like the w204. Keep it under <2litre and make sure it’s a manual.
Just under £5500 for a 2002 C180 Classic Manual Saloon.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ascender wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:32 am

Hastings Direct recognised wife's NCB being longer than she'd held her license.
The artist formerly known as _Who_