Commuting Question

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Commuting Question

Post by Gavster »

If you're thinking of spending money on this but don't want to hammer the Up, then buy a £1500 Smart car or some other station car with cheap insurance where you can start it up and mash the throttle from cold without worry.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

10 mins each way isn't that short a journey, and you'll get some heat into the car if you're going down a 70mph road in it.
I bought a folding ebike* and have cycled to work on it (there you go, HMRC - tick) but I wouldn't be doing it down any fast roads and only when the weather in not too hot, and not too cold, and you're not in a rush, and there's somewhere to put it at your desk not somewhere it might be nicked, and, and,...
I've used it more often when dropping a car off to be serviced at my regular garage, to cycle the 4-5 miles home.
The e scooter for £2.5k looks tempting but would probably result in death or maiming.
I wouldn't buy a £500 car to use instead of the Up (sorry!) - it'd cost a chunk more than that to run it.

tl/dr; use the Up, get an e-bike for giggles if you want to but don't expect to use it all the time.

*edity: MiRIDER - it's awesome.
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Funnily enough I just found this, which is that Seat Mo e-scooter (Seat just rebadged it) https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/features/ ... volkswagen
Left over crest; tightens.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yesssssss, I'm saving £3.17 today....

mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:02 am Yesssssss, I'm saving £3.17 today....

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mik, there's no suggestion that Matty would go through a flooded underpass again. Don't be mean.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Forgot to say that cycling on a NSL road is also the most depressing type of cycling. There's no way you'll ever want to do it except on the most glorious spring/summer days. Even then it's horrid getting grit blown into your face when a lorry goes past at +40mph
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Colleague does this fairly regularly - much of his route being along the segregated shared use path that runs along the A555 (Man Airport to Poynton) which is a mix of 50mph and NSL. But he's well into his cycling. You'll need a change of clothes at the office.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:34 am Colleague does this fairly regularly - much of his route being along the segregated shared use path that runs along the A555 (Man Airport to Poynton) which is a mix of 50mph and NSL. But he's well into his cycling. You'll need a change of clothes at the office.
I don't see much of an issue with riding to work, but riding to a station to then get on a train would be awful when the weather is anything but perfect. Then taking a bike on a train at rush hour would be a nightmare (or the alternative being getting it stolen from the station).

For a 4 mile journey, the car just makes more sense.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:43 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:34 am Colleague does this fairly regularly - much of his route being along the segregated shared use path that runs along the A555 (Man Airport to Poynton) which is a mix of 50mph and NSL. But he's well into his cycling. You'll need a change of clothes at the office.
I don't see much of an issue with riding to work, but riding to a station to then get on a train would be awful when the weather is anything but perfect. Then taking a bike on a train at rush hour would be a nightmare (or the alternative being getting it stolen from the station).

For a 4 mile journey, the car just makes more sense.
I don't disagree. added to that, around here some of the train/tram services won't allow bikes on, which I've never understood.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:30 pm
Carlos wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:10 pm https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-detai ... n=at_bikes

I offer 1.1 8-)

@Barry - have you tried an EV scooter/moped?
I've not tried the smaller stuff yet, only the big bike Zeros. They should work well, within the moped performance expectations, but it's a narrow window of where they'll work well IMO. Around town and charging at home every night, fine. Outside of that they'll become a drag I suspect.

And you'll need license/insurance/helmets etc
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Yeah, an Up has got to be easy to park and you’ll smell much fresher for your new colleagues 😁
Cheers,

Ian
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I don’t understand why he’d need a change of clothes for a 20 min ride unless he’s doing intervals or a time trial. Just ride slowly and there’s no sweat to deal with unless the station is on top of Alpe d’Huez 😂
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The Seat Mo isn't a moped or £5k!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:41 pm I don’t understand why he’d need a change of clothes for a 20 min ride unless he’s doing intervals or a time trial. Just ride slowly and there’s no sweat to deal with unless the station is on top of Alpe d’Huez 😂
yeah, it never rains in this country.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Nobody carries a change of clothes every day just in case it rains 😂
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah but it's pretty hard to hold an umbrella when you're cycling down the A406.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Stop overthinking it. Cycle naked and put on your clothes once you get to work.
How about not having a sig at all?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

It sounds like the best option is just to keep the Up then. As mentioned, it's not really pampering, it's more that it might end up being an expensive station-runner, but still, cheaper than an e-Bike *and* and Up.

First stage interview tell's me new job would cover all commuting costs - trains, parking (in BHam or at station) but not fuel (understandably) so that's also a win. Not that I'd consider driving to BHam regardless!
Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:40 pm I know it well - never taken a train from there mind you! Seems popular and parking is indeed an issue. You’re also outside the cheap ticket zone.

I’m not sure where exactly you live but have you considered Albrighton/Cosford? My old secretary used to commute from Stafford but drove across the chase to a station she preferred - I’ll ask her which she used to use.

Edit: while I did mean Cosford, Codsall is probably a much closer alternative.

Further edit: it was Penkridge which my old secretary used - she says it’s a good line.
Cosford is too far - Bilbrook is my next closest, but no parking there. Codsall is further than Penkridge for me, so Penk seems like the best solution 8-)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Matt, not sure if you know where my other office is - I’m there at least once a week.