Commuting Question

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Commuting Question

Post by Matty »

A bit ahead of myself maybe, but I like to plan.

Potential job in the middle of Birmingham. All my jobs to this point have been easiest by car so this is new for me, but for Brum train would be the easiest by far. Train station is 4.2 miles away and has a small car park so space wouldn't be guaranteed (but likely, as I'd be there early).
10 min car drive, 22min on bike to station from my house - both routes using a long, 70mph dual carraigeway.

For those in a similar who do London journey for example, how have you done it?

1. Electric push bike seems doable (direct route to station on long A-road with large offset pavement) but does that get tiresome in the cold dark rainy winters? No storage for it either, so would need to take it on train maybe? So foldable?
2. Using the Up would be an option, but constant short journeys wouldn't be good for it, and if commute was by bike then I really wouldn't need it at all and I could just get away with one nicer car as it'd only be for SD&P.
3. Ruled out proper motorbike, but I don't like the idea of cold/dark and battling 70mph A-Road traffic.
4. Ruled out electric car, cost to change massively dents any savings I'd make and still parking situation.

I'm edging towards option 1...but...not sure how long I'd last in winter before ditching it and just getting the car in? Suggestions?
Carlos

Re: Commuting Question

Post by Carlos »

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

When I was living on the outskirts of Copenhagen and working right in the centre I cycled and it never got boring, even in winter. Commute was about the same as what you're considering. However, it was not along a 70mph road.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I used to commute into Birmingham by train and drove to the station. You absolutely won’t cause any problems for your Up by driving to the station - that’s exactly what it’s for! Only concern would be security at the car park; I don’t know if they are nickable? I used to park relatively nice cars and never had a problem - also Centro stations tend to have free parking.

Don’t rule out a different station with better parking or a more regular service or whatever; a few minutes’ more travel for a more reliable journey can be well worth it.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:22 pm I used to commute into Birmingham by train and drove to the station. You absolutely won’t cause any problems for your Up by driving to the station - that’s exactly what it’s for! Only concern would be security at the car park; I don’t know if they are nickable? I used to park relatively nice cars and never had a problem - also Centro stations tend to have free parking.

Don’t rule out a different station with better parking or a more regular service or whatever; a few minutes’ more travel for a more reliable journey can be well worth it.
TBH you might know it :lol: Penkridge station.

It's not so much the short journey, more that it'd end up just being a car purely to run to the station and back and £1k year to keep it on the road (plus £9k tied up) seems a lot to do that.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Carlos wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:10 pm https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-detai ... n=at_bikes

I offer 1.1 8-)
But who'll keep the lights on here if I'm dead?
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:10 pm When I was living on the outskirts of Copenhagen and working right in the centre I cycled and it never got boring, even in winter. Commute was about the same as what you're considering. However, it was not along a 70mph road.
Copenhagen is a very different place to Wolverhampton :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Matty wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:33 pm
Carlos wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:10 pm https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-detai ... n=at_bikes

I offer 1.1 8-)
But who'll keep the lights on here if I'm dead?
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:10 pm When I was living on the outskirts of Copenhagen and working right in the centre I cycled and it never got boring, even in winter. Commute was about the same as what you're considering. However, it was not along a 70mph road.
Copenhagen is a very different place to Wolverhampton :lol:
Can't argue with that.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Barry

Post by Barry »

I offer 1.1 8-)
I was gonna suggest ICE moped but that would work too - although both likely to cause daily death if the run is a D/C :lol:

Friend of mine has a similar distance commute and he cycles it more often than not, car kicks in when weather is nasty.
mik

Post by mik »

Cycle when you can, car when you can’t.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Matty wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:02 pm ...not sure how long I'd last in winter before ditching it and just getting the car in?
Twice.

And a (decent) e-bike is not cheap.

Just use the Up.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:32 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:22 pm I used to commute into Birmingham by train and drove to the station. You absolutely won’t cause any problems for your Up by driving to the station - that’s exactly what it’s for! Only concern would be security at the car park; I don’t know if they are nickable? I used to park relatively nice cars and never had a problem - also Centro stations tend to have free parking.

TBH you might know it :lol: Penkridge station.

It's not so much the short journey, more that it'd end up just being a car purely to run to the station and back and £1k year to keep it on the road (plus £9k tied up) seems a lot to do that.
I know it well - never taken a train from there mind you! Seems popular and parking is indeed an issue. You’re also outside the cheap ticket zone.

I’m not sure where exactly you live but have you considered Albrighton/Cosford? My old secretary used to commute from Stafford but drove across the chase to a station she preferred - I’ll ask her which she used to use.

Edit: while I did mean Cosford, Codsall is probably a much closer alternative.

Further edit: it was Penkridge which my old secretary used - she says it’s a good line.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Just use the up, that's what it's designed for.

I sometimes ride to work, but I can't think of anything worse than riding half way then getting on a train, potentially wet/sweaty/etc, worrying about what to do with my bike, then get to work and have to change/shower, remember all my kit/etc...

Just drive to the station and ride when it's a nice day.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I offer 1.1 8-)
Oh my I quite like that idea. I have an 8mi commute via a mix of back roads, d/c and normal roads and that would be brilliant. Until I got mown down or killed myself obvs.

@Barry - have you tried an EV scooter/moped?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Take the Up.

If you are genuinely worried about short journeys then once a week add a few miles onto your trip home. You will use it at lots of other times too.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

This sounds like the most pampered Up ever! It'll be fine. Defo another vote for the Up, get there early to be sure of a space (hopefully means you can come home earlier too depending on the job).

I've driven to the other side of town to get to the station for years (used to be daily), fuck cycling and getting all sweaty before work.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Buy my Citroen C5 to keep the miles off your Up. £500 to you Matty! (and anyone else that reads this)
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Even if you do try to cycle there will be many days when you wake up and look out the window and think “fuck it, I’m taking the car today”. Also you need to carry a whole extra set of outer clothes to deal with winter time.

I would cycle when I feel like it, e.g. when the weather is nice on days between March and October, then expect to use the car for the majority of the deep winter.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

This thread reminded me of something I saw a couple of years ago:

https://www.silenceuk.com/s01-connected

It's an electric scooter that considered the kind of person who would likely own one, how they'd use it etc

E.g. the battery slides out, has wheels and a handle so you can take it indoors and charge it inside - perfect for someone living in an urban environment, flat etc

The more I read about this, the more I wished I had need of one!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Paying £5k to drive a wanky electric scooter on a dual carriageway every day in the dark sounds like miserable solution. Just drive the little car you have.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:40 am Paying £5k to drive a wanky electric scooter on a dual carriageway every day in the dark sounds like miserable solution. Just drive the little car you have.
Also the eBike would need replacing before the end of the year, would be thoroughly worn out and worthless.

Is Taxi viable, I guess on £10 each way twice a day for roughly 50 weeks a year will be about £5K a year ?