Mini Cooper S/Works

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Mini Cooper S/Works

Post by Gavin »

I cannot find the info online regarding whether the Works got the N18 engine in 2012 or if it had uprated ancilliaries and therefore did not suffer from the chocolate turbo failures I was warned of ages ago when I considered a Cooper S.
Is an S without the N18 worth the risk, will they have had better turbos fitted?
Any advice welcome as looks like the 205 Cooper we have is not worth putting through it's next MOT so looking for a replacement.
scotta

Re: Mini Cooper S/Works

Post by scotta »

I don’t think it’s the turbos that are the issue. It’s coking of the inlets that fucks them. Something Grannied about with low miles is higher risk.

SJ can confirm.
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

My GP is a 2013 and has the N18.

I think the S got the N18 before the JCW did. Either way I’m fairly certain both models had the N18 from 2012.

As said above, turbos don’t seem to be the issue with either engine. N14s suffered with timing chains and High Pressure Fuel Pump issues. N18s suffer with both, but to a lesser degree.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Vanos solenoids are also an issue. However it cost me £18 for the pair. And one 10mm bolt to change it.
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Ah yes. The rear one (intake?) proved troublesome on mine to change. The one on the front of the engine was a piece of piss to change.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I believe the earlier engine suffers from chain tensioner failure, and your only warning is a rattle on cold start. Other than that it works perfectly - until it doesn’t. And you find out what happens when an interference engine gives up
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Thanks all! So is the Cooper engine a different block? Would a 2009, say, Cooper be relatively OK?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Late to the party here, sorry !

I just checked and our S was registered July 2011. It has the N18 so I guess it’s a 2012 “model year” thing rather than 2012 production. The Clubman I had last year had the N14 engine. The N18 is definitely nicer to drive. The headline power isn’t a huge jump but the double VANOS makes the low end much fuller.

Cam chains are certainly a thing. Not sure how common a fully catastrophic failure is though. If you can find a car with it already (and relatively recently) done that’s a plus. I did the chain on my wife’s car and although it didn’t *need* changing it does run better for it. It’s close to a full day’s work so £500-£1000 if you’re paying someone.

Intake coking also a thing. Neither of ours were too bad though. Not hugely expensive to get it walnut blasted especially if combined with the cam chain work “while you’re there”.

And listen carefully for clonking front suspension. I’ve STILL not fixed it ;)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavin wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:34 am Thanks all! So is the Cooper engine a different block? Would a 2009, say, Cooper be relatively OK?
I think it’s the same block, the “S” just gains a turbot.

Get the “S” if you can.
scotta

Post by scotta »

@Sundayjumper Have you got a source anywhere that does front brake backing plates?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Not off the top of my head. My favourite supplier is Car Parts in Motion:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/carpartsinmotion

They seem to have most things, and pricing is always good, frequently with a promo code on top.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:56 am Not off the top of my head. My favourite supplier is Car Parts in Motion:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/carpartsinmotion

They seem to have most things, and pricing is always good, frequently with a promo code on top.
Ta - will look.

Parks the dealer has an ebay page but they want £45 each side which is more expensive than the discs from the factor.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

That price sounds about right. Backing always seem expensive for what they are.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:39 am That price sounds about right. Backing always seem expensive for what they are.
Grumble...Mutter...something...something...FINE ill order them...

*Shuffles off*
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:11 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:39 am That price sounds about right. Backing always seem expensive for what they are.
Grumble...Mutter...something...something...FINE ill order them...

*Shuffles off*
I've often wondered about the "value" of backing plates. I see them as reducing brake dust "spread" and heat-soak to suspension / driveshaft components more than providing any real benefit to the brakes themselves.... but they can be a real faf to fit. :?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Yeah.

On the Compact, the rears also support the handbrake shoes so you can't go without. The fronts I've discarded completely.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:20 am Yeah.

On the Compact, the rears also support the handbrake shoes so you can't go without. The fronts I've discarded completely.
Half of them have already turned to dust on the driveway and ive not rushed to replace them. Makes sense to do it whilst ive got it on the ramp and the wheels off though. As you say limited benefit IMO. keeps a bit of road grit off the brakes i suppose but thats all.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

N18 in ours is 185 standard, with a jb+ tuning box and k&N typhoon probably 215.

JCW lots more to insure but look better and will be sort after one day.

Ours failed onFront Lower Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn WISHBONE ARM BUSHes last mot for the second time since Ive had it and theyre a pig to change so not cheap 2 to 3 hour labour.

Other than that I would say it handles pretty well on lowered springs and would probably need cooling and lsd to make it faster.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:09 am Late to the party here, sorry !

I just checked and our S was registered July 2011. It has the N18 so I guess it’s a 2012 “model year” thing rather than 2012 production. The Clubman I had last year had the N14 engine. The N18 is definitely nicer to drive. The headline power isn’t a huge jump but the double VANOS makes the low end much fuller.

Cam chains are certainly a thing. Not sure how common a fully catastrophic failure is though. If you can find a car with it already (and relatively recently) done that’s a plus. I did the chain on my wife’s car and although it didn’t *need* changing it does run better for it. It’s close to a full day’s work so £500-£1000 if you’re paying someone.

Intake coking also a thing. Neither of ours were too bad though. Not hugely expensive to get it walnut blasted especially if combined with the cam chain work “while you’re there”.

And listen carefully for clonking front suspension. I’ve STILL not fixed it ;)
Thanks @Sundayjumper where would one fid the engine code please?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Not sure but they're visually very different: