Range Rover.

scotta

Range Rover.

Post by scotta »

This is developing in to a bit of a saga.

Quotes on that video that people are getting renewals jump from £1500 to £15k. Insurers only paying out 50% of value in theft claims. One quote of a guy having to park his Ferrari on the drive so he can park the range rover in the garage otherwise its not insured.

Local Facebook group reported a Velar stolen locally last week. So it's not just a London problem.

The above video taken from an auction house. Flooded with Range Rovers.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Range Rover.

Post by Jobbo »

It is a problem, certainly - though Geoff Buys Cars is a subtle conspiracy theorist so take what he says with a pinch of salt. I still quite like him, but he does bang on about 'them' wanting to stop you driving around and EVs being awful.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:13 pm It is a problem, certainly - though Geoff Buys Cars is a subtle conspiracy theorist so take what he says with a pinch of salt. I still quite like him, but he does bang on about 'them' wanting to stop you driving around and EVs being awful.
Hmm. Haven't watched any of his other videos.
GG.

Post by GG. »

So - some interesting developments in Range Rover world... I have now received through a "security enhancement" recall that's not a recall letter. Car is booked in and seemingly the update they are doing will stop other keys been coded to the car and should align its level of security with a current one. That would be great if correct though largely irrelevant if I'm not keeping it...

On that note, I have also just re-run the comparison sites quotes and weirdly Tesco Bank has dropped £3,000 since I last did this a few weeks ago. Very strange. I'm now considering cancelling the current insurance, which should then return around £1,500 of unused premium to me and re-insuring for another year.

Apparrently thefts last year fell 20% to the prior year and that is before this recall/enhancement. Its still a ridiculous amount of money (about £4k net of the refund) but I can keep monitoring and do the same if prices fall further so I'm really just buying myself some more time...

If I change to the cheapest equivalent class of vehicle to insure (e.g. an XC90) it will still bethe thick end of £3k plus I'll need to put money in as a PX to get a decent XC90. Given I don't want an XC90 that doesn't look all that tempting...
Last edited by GG. on Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

GG. wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:11 pm Apparrently thefts last year fell 20% to the prior year
Even the poorest warlords in Africa have got one now, the market is flooded, they're practically worthless over there. 😜
GG.

Post by GG. »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:45 pm
GG. wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:11 pm Apparrently thefts last year fell 20% to the prior year
Even the poorest warlords in South London have got one now, the market is flooded, they're practically worthless. 😜
EFA :lol:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I think the answer is to buy a new one.. should be more secure, no loss of status and if you buy the hybrid V8, you can pretend you’re saving the environment.
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

The deed has been done. RR has a 12 month stay of execution. Just need to organise the refund for the 4 remaining months on the existing policy.

Crossing everything that this starts becoming more sensible in the near future as paying 12.5% of a cars market value in annual insurance premiums is not exactly sustainable...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

GG. wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:12 pm The deed has been done. RR has a 12 month stay of execution. Just need to organise the refund for the 4 remaining months on the existing policy.

Crossing everything that this starts becoming more sensible in the near future as paying 12.5% of a cars market value in annual insurance premiums is not exactly sustainable...
Even if your insurance halves next year, you might still be paying 12.5% of the cars market value... 😬
GG.

Post by GG. »

I’m hoping there is an inverse correlation between those two things!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Bentley Bentayga next year then.

Dave!
GG.

Post by GG. »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:18 am Bentley Bentayga next year then.

Dave!
I briefly flirted with the idea but ironically they have the opposite problem in that values are very inflated for what they are (IMO). £60k for a 16 plate with 60k on the clock...

When you've looked in detail at the Cayenne / Audi Q7 or Toureg you can clearly see the underpinning are, not to put to fine a point on it... cheap. Manual recline for the rear seats and adjustments on the seats not the doors, infotainment that is frankly lifted straight out a golf!

Couldn't bring myself to spend that on it and think I would end up with Cayenne over that.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

GG. wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:59 am Manual recline for the rear seats...
Dear god, buying a Bentley and then having to manually adjust your seat while being chauffeured. It would be worse than Auschwitz.

Also Bentaygas look shit. Stick with the Rangie.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Also
GG. wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:59 am When you've looked in detail at the Cayenne / Audi Q7 or Toureg you can clearly see the underpinning are, not to put to fine a point on it... cheap.
I've only worked on the first gen Touareg / Cayenne but the underpinnings on those are pretty sturdy. They must have dumbed them down on later models.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I want a facelift Bentayga with the W12 and the executive 4 seat set up and a towbar just for towing. That’s a want and a half right there.
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’d get a last of the line 2013 model with all the toys and have that instead.

I don’t think they are affected anymore or do you need the pre-facelift version without the TFT screens ?

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

When you take it to the tip and start unloading your building crap form the boot, take pics Mito... :lol:

I saw a guy drive a W221 S65 to the tip, pop the bot and start unloading broken concrete and hardcore, straight out of the boot!
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I thought L322s weren't so affected by insurance premium hikes but this picture is from a cash machine ram raid in Cheltenham - this morning I think.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

At a sub £1000 for a ropey but drivable one on eBay they probably just bought it for ram raiding lol
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:04 am I thought L322s weren't so affected by insurance premium hikes but this picture is from a cash machine ram raid in Cheltenham - this morning I think.

To think they chose one without privacy glass :lol:

The late model ones are also keyless entry so in theory would have the same issues as L405. I can't easily tell the age from that pic.

I did run the numbers for insurance on those and they are better but still only in line with other premium 4x4s so I was looking at 3k which is hardly a huge saving given the age / value of car. Plus, given ULEZ L322 diesel V8s are off the cards so I was looking at supercharged petrols (the 5.0) and they're now pretty desirable in good condition and were mainly >20k!