Hifi - Wiim Amp initial impressions

DaveE

Hifi - Wiim Amp initial impressions

Post by DaveE »

I've been after a simple, good quality amp, with streaming support for a while now

Today I took delivery of a new Wiim amp, and so far I'm loving it

It's very "Mac Mini" like in terms of build, design, size, packaging etc

The reason I went for this is seems custom built for my needs:

1) Logitech Media Server (LMS/Squeezebox support)
2) Spotify Connect
3) Chromecast (for apps like BBC sounds etc)

It was really easy to set up, it's discrete, super easy to use etc

e.g. starting music on any supported service switches to that service automatically. If I'm streaming from BBC Sounds via Chromecast and then then start something on Spotify/LMS, it'll switch to that new "source"

It's completely controllable from apps (Wiim's own, plus streaming services) - and the supplied remote is BT LE, so if needed, the amp could be put away in a cupboard/drawer with no need for line-of-sight control etc

So far, very impressed, would certainly suggest adding it to any shortlist if you want a small, simple, high quality (in all respects) amp

Carlos

Re: Hifi - Wiim Amp initial impressions

Post by Carlos »

That looks cracking.

My daughter has a Tangent Ampster which is similar in features but a little more of a budget option. Nice to see a few more wireless options at this size and sensible money.

Younger folk don't get the aesthetics of a standard separates amp and set up, she said why are they so big and ugly :D
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

That’s jolly interesting.

After getting my stepdaughter a Sonos Era 100 for Christmas I’m wondering if it might be time to pension off the old Squeezebox kit. The Booms are all losing their display brightness and the Mac Mini I run LMS on is now over 11 years old and does crash from time to time. This might be the device to justify keeping it going.
mik

Post by mik »

60wpc (8ohms) sounds punchy enough for most scenarios too. Nice one.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:15 pm That’s jolly interesting.

After getting my stepdaughter a Sonos Era 100 for Christmas I’m wondering if it might be time to pension off the old Squeezebox kit. The Booms are all losing their display brightness and the Mac Mini I run LMS on is now over 11 years old and does crash from time to time. This might be the device to justify keeping it going.
yeah, it means I get get rid of a Pi from the lounge (that has been used as an LMS receiver until now) and just stream direct from the LMS to the Wiim amp

I would highly recommend looking at a Pi + HDD as an LMS server though @Jobbo

They're really simple to set up and manage, a Pi4 and above comes with USB3 ports - couple this with a USB3 HDD caddy, and it manages really well, even with my very large collection

I showed Helen how she could stream BBC Sounds and Spotify direct to the Wiim yesterday, and she was really pleased - it's so simple...

A small, plain, clean physical format means it passes the wife test easily too :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Saw a good review of this yesterday on YouTube

"Good" as in it was an enjoyable video to watch and made some points that really resonated with me

Namely that most people don't care about hifi, there are a lot of people who just want to listen to music - and this is the amp for them

The interesting point he made was how he (a self confessed audiophile) felt when using it - he just enjoyed the music in a much simpler way then when using more expensive, "complicated" etc equipment

And I have to say, I've been listening to loads more music than I normally do since I had this amp

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Just noticed they do a streamer/receiver too which is exactly what I need to add to my hifi, so will give one a try.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

This kit all looks like great value, they do 3 x different wireless receivers from £90 up to £220, which given their versatility looks like a great way to upgrade my home systems and speakers without spending tons of money on new kit.