Post by DaveE »

Happy Christmas everyone

Hope you all have a good one

And if Christmas is a tough time of year, hope you're doing ok

Here's to a happy and healthy 2024 for you all
Explosive Newt

Re: HC you miserable bunch

Post by Explosive Newt »

I got a crystal decanter to go with what a very old man I am.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Merry Christmas. Hope everyone gets lots of things they asked for!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Happy Crimbo all.
mik

Post by mik »

Happy Christmas motherfunkers!

So what did you all get then?

I got a gaming pedal set upgrade 8-) - Thrustmaster TLCM to replace my entry level Thrustmaster pedal set. Same ones that ScottA has - in addition to being generally more robustly made these use a proper load-cell for the brake rather than just sensing pedal position, so feel more realistic, and provide better control - particularly during trail braking.

Had time to get them fitted and set up, but no bloody time to play properly yet. :( Boxing Day!

Picture of a library:

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hope you're all doing ok and enjoying the day as much as you can, in your own way.

We did presents with the kids last night as Mrs Mike has recently qualified as a nurse and has been working yesterday and today. So I''m on cooking duties with the turkey planned for about 9. I'm hoping the whisky sours will keep me on my A game when it comes to timing...
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Interesting Xmas day so far...!

My boy had a crash on the playground a week or so ago and hurt his shoulder, we went to the hospital after and they said it might be worth getting an X-ray done when we can but it looked ok. He's been fine since and because of the strikes etc we planned to go the day after Boxing Day...no rush...

...Except this morning whilst we're staying at my sisters house he leant forward to get something and managed to dislocate his shoulder! We went to hospital at about 10:30 this morning and we're still there!

They ended up having to fully sedate him to fix it (the original plan was to give him some ketamine and pop it back in, but because I have a family history of a rare anaesthetic allergy (and we scared the shit out of one of the doctors by telling her to go and do some proper research) they had 2 anaesthesiologists and a fully prepped operating theatre ready just in case.

Every other member of staff has been first class, but not quite the Xmas day we were expecting! Hopefully we can go and get our turkey lunch soon...!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Holy shit @Rich B! Hope he's sorted soon and you're on your way back home to finally relax. What a rubbish place to spend the day.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Fucking hell, that proper knocks the edge of the stomach bug I've been nursing the last few days, and I think I'm mostly over now.....
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

We're back at my sisters heating up the turkey - it's all good, he'll enjoy telling his cousins all about it!

I have to say though, I did not like the bit when he was in surgery. Being in hospital is ok when you're all together, but as soon as he was somewhere else that we weren't allowed.... not good. 😬
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Merry Christmas gentlemen.

ILMOYC.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Yikes. Glad he's okay!

Having recently bought (and just collected) a new bike I didn't ask for anything, but got a Lewis Hamilton t-shirt from the kids (just says LH44, so not too obviously merch), a jumper and a book.

More importantly my FiL was discharged from hospital earlier today, so he got to be here with the grandkids.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Glad he’s okay Rich 👍

My other half went for a lie down, woke up and messaged her two kids to go the playroom whilst I’m two floors away; just went to find where they are, and they’re playing board games down there.. landing day and Xmas, so will wait until tomorrow to find out why me and my daughter weren’t told. Seriously pissed off currently
Cheers,

Ian
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hope Sam is well on the mend @Rich B - hospitals can be shit at the best of times but glad they fixed him up ok.

@IanF I've read your post 3 times and I confess I can't understand it. Maybe it's late, or maybe it's the wine I've drunk?

Us oldies decided a few years ago to do token presents and just concentrate on the kids, so it's basically choccies and wine for us all. Got my boy a Lego train set though, and my folks got him some extra track sets to go with it. My daughter is 5 months old so hers were mostly sensorial toys.

Had a bit of a falling out with my Dad and Uncle about my current work and plans for next year so feeling a bit bruised by it all really. Not the best day one way or another to be honest. I've not fallen out with my uncle before and we barely see him once or twice a year.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Was a great day all in, warm fire, happy kids, nailed all the presents to the wife, food was great barbthe turkey which refused to soak up the juices when resting, so I must have done something wrong on that but we had gammon and chicken also.

Eldest was over tired in the end and was a bit grumpy but it’s no surprise when they were on it from 6 till 9.

Very happy and appreciate how lucky I am.

Rich, I completely understand that feeling. “Ok so you may be a trained surgeon with thousands of hours of training but I’m his dad so know a thing or two about looking after him”

It’s a horrible feeling but easily distracted by pretending it’s all ok to your other half and helping her 😂

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Sounds like a pretty dire way to spend the majority of your day Rich 😬

As he’s still young he should be fine. When older a dislocated shoulder often causes some weakness and makes it far more likely to reoccur. Which is nice :?

Anyway - forgot to mention another good present - kids got me a copy of this. I’d made a request months back, and kinda forgotten :oops: - looking forward to getting geekily immersed 8-)

Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:43 pm We're back at my sisters heating up the turkey - it's all good, he'll enjoy telling his cousins all about it!

I have to say though, I did not like the bit when he was in surgery. Being in hospital is ok when you're all together, but as soon as he was somewhere else that we weren't allowed.... not good. 😬
Glad it all worked out in the end. I spent my 30th in Bristol children's hospital when the oldest was 3 months old with an inguinal hernia and my middle on had open heart surgery when he was 3 so I can relate to the powerless bit. For us it was an enormous event but for the doctors it's just a tuesday.

Anyway, Merry Christmas you bunch of reprobates. I'm off to gather children shortly (probably my own) and start "our christmas".
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:39 pm
More importantly my FiL was discharged from hospital earlier today, so he got to be here with the grandkids.
Hurrah! You're living in a crap christmas movie AICMFP.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
John

Post by John »

I've been visited by Father Covid :roll:

I've had a really bad cough over Christmas that was almost making me throw up at some points, not nice at all. We've been away for Christmas so when we got home I did the test and there in all its glory was the positive result. My wife also decided to do the test and also came back positive.

At least I don't have to visit the inlaws now ;)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Glad your boy is ok Rich. It's an awful experience as a dad. I still feel sick when thinking about watching my son being anaesthetised even though I was warned it is scary.