Open University

dinny_g

Re: Open University

Post by dinny_g »

And remember, don't necessarily base your decision on what jobs are available today - there's loads of careers today that didn't exist 6 or 8 years ago and the same will be true in another 6 or 8 years, especially in that field.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:06 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:26 am Not tried them, but from experience studying while working full-time is hard. Doesn't help with the specific provider, more a general observation.
I dunno, I did a PT masters and I didn't think it was that bad. Different story if you've got kids mind you!
I didn't. Was just me in my early twenties. Didn't help that I wasn't very interested in the first modules. It wasn't the right course for me, and that meant I struggled a lot with motivation.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:48 am I have been looking at more sustainable companies within my industry. There's a lot of interesting work happening in Spain and Portugal around sustainable garment manufacture but they're all small (most ecomm companies are much smaller than you expect) so there's not a lot of opportunity to get in.
Wouldn't that be a better way? The possibility of making a difference in an area with a large negative footprint. Your current employer (assuming you would want to start) could be a good starting point. You say you're already doing it, could they help support your study with an ambition of improving their position?
---
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:30 am Part of what's given me the push is seeing how lightweight a lot of what companies push as sustainability initiatives are.
That's because real sustainability requires a lot of expensive investment in the short term and consumers/shareholders don't want to pay for it, unfortunately. Projections show that it's a winner for the economic sustainability of a business in the long term, but that's not enough to swing it. You also get the attitude:behaviour gap where consumers tell market researchers they'd pay more for sustainable products, then they buy whatever product is on offer that week :lol:. Businesses tried to cover this up with carbon credits and greenwashing, which has worn thin now too. It's a war of attrition and incremental gains where getting tiny changes in the right direction is a massive win.

There are also consultancy roles that pay decent money if you take a more business-focussed edge to things. They can pay better as a graduate too. Also as a freelancer I've secured some decent contracts, such as with WWF building a team to develop their eating for net zero report. However, I probably missed out on 5 proposals for every one that I get, and each proposal is a week+ of work. I guess my point is to expect to take a pay cut when you graduate - my salary dropped for several years after graduating.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, we do loads of sustainability schemes/initiatives/accreditations. We have 2 sustainability staff and spend thousands on it - but if I'm honest, like most companies we only because it helps us win projects.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I had a long conversation with our head of sustainability today to try to come up with ideas that we should implement that would be quick wins with a high visibility factor to drive better engagement and outcomes.

Initially it is about finding the added value sustainability that can then drive bigger programmes.
---
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:58 pm I had a long conversation with our head of sustainability today to try to come up with ideas that we should implement that would be quick wins with a high visibility factor to drive better engagement and outcomes.

Initially it is about finding the added value sustainability that can then drive bigger programmes.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

You're not wrong. As I can't share any details about what we discussed or the actual ideas we want to implement, it turns into management speak bingo. Luckily there are some really good changes we can make that will have a positive impact.
---
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:10 pm You're not wrong. As I can't share any details about what we discussed or the actual ideas we want to implement, it turns into management speak bingo. Luckily there are some really good changes we can make that will have a positive impact.
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

I started a degree course probably 10 years ago with the OU. I did the initial access course and then started a Psychology with counselling degree.
I lasted approx 3 years ( just under half way) before it all became to much. My grades were great ( couple below distinction for 1st year) but my MH and general family health was bad, work was worse, we had a young family etc etc.
The support I received throughout was first class. Tutors were very understanding of the issues I had and they all helped a lot with my studies. In the end though I had to give up as things were getting pretty bad. For a few months after I received regular updates about the course and also offers of more ways to help me return to study.

Earlier this year the Open University got back in touch to say I my results had been good enough to be used for a part qualification. Not a full degree but at least my hard work wouldn't have been wasted totally. At some point when I can I will return to complete my studies and would definitely return to ask the O.U for advice.
Cockwobble