Have you got 99p?

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Have you got 99p?

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:05 am @Gav - do you want to go and see if Phil is alright…

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeNqCVrG/

He’s not happy :shock:
It’s very odd. We track all the traffic and we’ve had MORE clickthroughs to Amazon than we’ve had to Apple. Meanwhile we’re at No.1 in the Apple chart, yet not even in the Amazon Top 100.

The numbers simply don’t make any sense. We’re also getting people in the comments saying they’re having trouble buying with Amazon or getting error messages.
mik

Post by mik »

Weird!

I just watched the vid for the first time and had to pretend I couldn't see the Famileigh as they grate my gears :evil: - I think you were the only other one I recognised, so I think I am officially out of touch.... :oops:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I was surprised to see The Krackpots get to no.1 on the download singles chart last week, no.2 on the sales singles chart (behind the Beatles - Now and Then; presumably a lot of CD and vinyl sales?) and nowhere on the official top 40. Don't sales count for a lot more than streams?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I don't have iTunes or owt, can someone dl it (again) please and I'll send them the 99p.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Time is up and we have it everything we had, by all accounts it looks like we fell short of no.1. The total money raised for charity will be confirmed in the new year, after all international revenues have come in, we ended up getting high on iTunes charts around the world. Thanks to everyone who bought the single!

One bone of contention is Amazon. Our analytics show that we drove more traffic to Amazon than iTunes, yet we had almost no downloads on Amazon and didn't even make their top 100, while being no.1 on iTunes charts. Very, very weird. Lots and lots of people commented about getting errors too, even Amazon tech support conceded there was a technical problem that prevented people downloading our song that would take 5 days to resolve.

It made me realise how much a company like Amazon or Spotify can manipulate the charts. For example, Amazon commissioned Sam Ryder to make a Christmas song. They then put that song at the top of ever Alexa Christmas playlist. If you asked Alexa to "play Christmas music", it would put Sam Ryder's Christmas song on first. That alone would add vast amounts of streams towards his song. On top of competitors having 'techincal issues' it all feels rather icky.

Anyway, was great fun and really glad we did it anyway, hopefully the food banks will do well from it!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Well done Gavster - I was hoping you’d get Xmas no.1 so I could tell people that a friend had randomly achieved that.

You do have no.1 on one of the charts though - downloads I think. ETA: yes, https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/s ... ads-chart/ - ironic when Amazon downloads were hampered.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I got the brother of a guy who got a christmas #1 so drunk that he couldn't remember what we talked about 8-)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:25 pm Well done Gavster - I was hoping you’d get Xmas no.1 so I could tell people that a friend had randomly achieved that.

You do have no.1 on one of the charts though - downloads I think. ETA: yes, https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/s ... ads-chart/ - ironic when Amazon downloads were hampered.
Well spotted! I reckon that still counts as Christmas no.1 😉 and we are still no.1 on iTunes too :)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Capital FM/Heart FM's Official Big Top 40 Christmas special is on at 4-7pm... I'm hearing good things about our position on this one!

https://www.bigtop40.com
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Just heard no.1! Congratulations 🥳
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Well done! Being roped in to sing and getting Xmas no.1 is a real accolade. Bet you think about this every Christmas Day for the rest of your life 😎
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Thanks guys! It is possibly the most surreal thing that's ever happened to me 😂 genuinely need to let it all sink in.
mik

Post by mik »

Congrats Gav 8-)