Garage Door Servicing

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Garage Door Servicing

Post by JonMad »

I didn't know this was a thing.

Our motorised garage door, about 2 years old, has started making some ominous noises in operation.
I first put it down to the weather but it's fairly consistently making a racket.

As I don't want it to fail and risk leave the garage insecure or inaccessible until it can be fixed, I contacted the firm who fitted it. It's under warranty but that's parts only so there's a call out charge. Or they can service it.
£95+vat for the engineers to come and look at what's causing the noise.

£150+vat for a service where they will check over the whole garage door, checking fixings, electrics, cables and more. More specifically, to include checking the curtain fixings/hanger connected to the barrel, check the friction and mounting points, wiring connections, check the safety edge system to ensure this is working correctly and check the limits to facilitate optimal opening and closing position. Cost to include tightening of any loose parts and lubrication.

Part of me thinks get them to do the service (which is not a condition of the warranty), and doing so will include resolving the problem. Another part of me thinks that by them coming out and investigating, that's basically servicing it anyway. In either case I suppose they could then say there's a follow up needed if neither the investigation nor the service fix the issue.

Thoughts? Any experiences?
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Re: Garage Door Servicing

Post by mik »

Just sounds like something is a little dry to me. I'd just get out there with a can of this and lightly spray anything that slides or rotates.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

As Mik suggests.

I squirt some in the cracky bits between the slats as well.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Carlos wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:32 pmI squirt some in the cracky bits between the slats....
... and 9 months later, you were born. Any more questions kids?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Even the motorised ones are pretty simple things aren't they? Not able to narrow down the problem?

Ours totally shit itself a couple of months ago and wouldn't close. Turned out the grooved boss that the cable wraps around and holds the cable taught on the big spring had a loose grub screw so was slipping and letting the cable go loose.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

ok, cheers, maybe I'll see what I can get at with a bit of lubrication ( :shock: )
Left over crest; tightens.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

That noise sounds quite similar to a problem I've seen on a garage door.
The one in question was a motorised up-and-over, so a bit different. It has nylon wheels on the end of a scissor arm that run in a track. One of the nylon wheels had come loose and wasn't running straight, so the mechanism was dragging it half sideways by force down the track.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"