Locking wheel nuts/bolts

Locknuts

1. Essential
No votes
2. Ideally keep them
12%
3. Don’t bother - any determined thief can remove locknuts like <snaps fingers> that.
35%
4. Get rid - feckin liability if they fail.
53%

Total votes: 17

mik

Locking wheel nuts/bolts

Post by mik »

Evora wheel bolts corrode. Have painted them a couple of times. Doesn’t last. Have just bought a set of black zinc coated bolts instead. Stick on all 20, or keep (and re-paint) the locknuts?
DeskJockey

Re: Locking wheel nuts/bolts

Post by DeskJockey »

Not sure I see the point anymore. You can buy replacement locking wheel nuts for must cars online, so I don't think they're much of a deterrent.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I imagine you can buy keys to open most of them online too. Not sure I’d bother fitting them if I didn’t already have them but I’d leave them on to make sure my insurers don’t refuse cover if my wheels were nicked.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I've never not had them so I can't judge whether they've been a deterrent or not!

They could be a massive red flag to thieves...or not?!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I echo the above. Professional thieves have computers and gadgets to steal cars, if they wanted the wheels alone they would surely have the keys or suitable tools to get them off anyway!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I take wheels on & off quite regularly, “security” bolts are a PITA. Straight in the bin (once I’ve got some replacement standard bolts obvs).
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Can't remember the last time I saw a story on any car forums about wheels being nicked.

I lost my nut key once and it was a nightmare getting them off....most garages wouldn't touch it as they didn't want to damage the alloys.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Is nicking wheels even a thing anymore? You used to regularly see cars up on piles of wood missing wheels years ago but not seen one for years.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:39 am Is nicking wheels even a thing anymore? You used to regularly see cars up on piles of wood missing wheels years ago but not seen one for years.
not really, most cars have locking wheel nuts these days... 🧐
mik

Post by mik »

I don't think Evora wheels are particularly attractive to anyone other than other Evora owners :?: 8.0x19" fronts, 9.5x20" rears don't suit many other cars....
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:43 am I imagine you can buy keys to open most of them online too. Not sure I’d bother fitting them if I didn’t already have them but I’d leave them on to make sure my insurers don’t refuse cover if my wheels were nicked.
Jobbo has the nuts of correctness. :o

The Jag solved this problem by breaking studs and nuts at an alarming rate I had to drill off the nuts to get one wheel off. If you wanted the wheel off, it was stuck, if you didn't, the studs fell out.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:43 am ...I’d leave them on to make sure my insurers don’t refuse cover if my wheels were nicked.
Insurance refused because of having the wrong bolts.... is this a thing that's ever actually happened, or it just the usual internet hysteria OMG YOUR INSURANCE IS NOT VALID ?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:22 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:43 am ...I’d leave them on to make sure my insurers don’t refuse cover if my wheels were nicked.
Insurance refused because of having the wrong bolts.... is this a thing that's ever actually happened, or it just the usual internet hysteria OMG YOUR INSURANCE IS NOT VALID ?
If you remove one of the standard security features from your car and then the wheels are nicked, I can imagine that would be an obvious get-out. No hysteria required :lol:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:25 am If you remove one of the standard security features from your car and then the wheels are nicked, I can imagine that would be an obvious get-out. No hysteria required :lol:
Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:22 am .... is this a thing that's ever actually happened, or it just the usual internet hysteria OMG YOUR INSURANCE IS NOT VALID ?
mik

Post by mik »

Forgot to say - OEM bolts are splined, so you already need a tool for them. The locknuts are different obvs.

Beany

Post by Beany »

I had a mobile tyre fitter come around to put tyres on the car, and they fucked one of the locking wheelnuts so badly through their incompetence that it had to be trailered to a garage for them to remove the mangled thing off. They then had the temerity to claim that the was fucked to begin with, despite me having had the wheel off a few months earlier without any problems.

I have since replaced the lockers with regular wheelnuts (Thanks @Sundayjumper )

Just don't fucking bother.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:56 am I have since replaced the lockers with regular wheelnuts (Thanks @Sundayjumper )
No problem, Beany McBeanface.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Don't bother unless you drive a VAG with desirable wheels as you know some prick will steal them to fit to their crappy van/Golf.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

A crappy old VAG with blingy wheels ? Why are my ears burning ??

IMG_3334.jpeg
IMG_3334.jpeg (33.7 KiB) Viewed 9099 times
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Mk5 Golf owners in London would make quick work of those :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?