Letting family members drive your cars third party

Would you let someone drive your car third party?

I'm only third party anyway, so, meh
No votes
No way, I pay for fully comp for a reason, accidents can happen, they're going on my policy if they're getting behind the wheel
23%
Insurance, what's that then? (hides)
No votes
I'm fully comp but happy for someone else to drive my car third party only and if they bend it I'll pay
5%
Only of they agree to pay for any damage should the worst happen
27%
Ok if it'a an emergency but generally, forget it
36%
No-one gonna touch me mota
9%

Total votes: 22

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Letting family members drive your cars third party

Post by JonMad »

Where you are fully comp, for a reason, generally car value, and they are permitted by their own insurance to drive your car, but third party only. What are your thoughts on this?
Could also apply to friends driving your car, but feels like with family it's a more contentious question.
Left over crest; tightens.
Carlos

Re: Letting family members drive your cars third party

Post by Carlos »

You bend you mend it always applies.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

No-one drives my car - ever.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

No way I'd let anyone drive my car without full cover normally.

To be fair, Jimmy drove my Jimny without us worrying about insurance - he wasn't named on my policy so he'd have been legal relying on the third party cover on his own. But it's not a particularly valuable car.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Carlos wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:56 am You bend you mend it always applies.
This.

I'm not precious about my cars, as long as people understand they're 100% responsible for what happens I don't mind who drives. You yourself have driven my Compact, @JonMad !
mik

Post by mik »

I drove Pete’s 600LT (which he’d owned for 3 days) on my insurance (ie 3rd party only). Temperatures never went above 5 DegC so traction was not outstanding. Pete was far more relaxed about this concept than I was. :lol:
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:09 pm
Carlos wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:56 am You bend you mend it always applies.
This.

I'm not precious about my cars, as long as people understand they're 100% responsible for what happens I don't mind who drives. You yourself have driven my Compact, @JonMad !
Yep, low value track/race cars and having discussed that, more than happy. It was more a question re road driving. I'm of the view of, if I'm fully comp, then you're only driving my car fully comp, unless it's an emergency. Accidents can happen, even if it's just a short journey.
Left over crest; tightens.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Depends on the car. Not the BMW cos its worth about £40k. The £3k mini however ive no problem lending to folk on 3rd party with the bend it you mend it agreement.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Our dad always let us drive his cars on third party cover whenever we wanted, so he let me tool around in his TVR when I was 26. Likewise @Sundayjumper has always kindly offered to let me use his cars too. I've always approached it from the perspective that if I'm only covered TP then it's up to me to take ZERO risks.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

As for my cars :lol: I honestly would let anyone in the world drive my Smart :lol:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

My family members have drive my cars TP, it's just metal so I'm not that fussed.
My BIL spun my Elise and wrecked the front clam so I've clearly never learnt my lesson

A few people on here have driven some of my cars as well. Thankfully they all came back in one piece although one had far less fuel than it left with :? :!:
Last edited by Matty on Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Only the wife drives my cars, she is a good driver.

No-one else does.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My wife doesn't want to drive my car because she knows I'd be pissed off when she kerbs a wheel.

I let my bro drive mine when I first got it.
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:13 pm Only the wife drives my cars, she is a good driver.

No-one else does.
Not even you? ;)

I forced mrs mik to drive the Evora about a week after I got it - so I could cover the controls etc. That was 7+ years ago. She hasn't driven it since... which does not upset me. 8-)
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm too critical of NCG mechanical sympathy to let just any one drive my cars, so it's emergencies only for me.

YK let me drive his GT3 on my 3rd party a couple of times, then added me as named driver (like the superstar he was).
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:02 pm No way I'd let anyone drive my car without full cover normally.

To be fair, Jimmy drove my Jimny without us worrying about insurance - he wasn't named on my policy so he'd have been legal relying on the third party cover on his own. But it's not a particularly valuable car.
I think it comes down to people who I have faith in their ability and awareness. I'd let my stepfather and sister drive my car but the rest of them i'd be uncomfortable with.

My mate who is a cop, and half of you fuckwits I'd be comfortable with.

Also, I'm comfortable with CFXGF's driving which is a nice change!
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Matty wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:54 pm My family members have drive my cars TP, it's just metal so I'm not that fussed.
My BIL spun my Elise and wrecked the front clam so I've clearly never learnt my lesson

A few people on here have driven some of my cars as well. Thankfully they all came back in one piece although one had far less fuel than it left with :? :!:
I left you my girlfriend as collateral but with hindsight, I'd have been better off with the 147.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:23 pm
V8Granite wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:13 pm Only the wife drives my cars, she is a good driver.

No-one else does.
Not even you? ;)

I forced mrs mik to drive the Evora about a week after I got it - so I could cover the controls etc. That was 7+ years ago. She hasn't driven it since... which does not upset me. 8-)
I’m still waiting on the offer to drive his Evora. I’ve even offered to take him in a trackday in it.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:00 pm I think it comes down to people who I have faith in their ability and awareness.
Agreed. And aside from the insurance angle, I've noticed a pattern:

* People I trust and I have offered my cars to always politely decline (Gavster & my Dad excepted).

* People that directly ask to drive my cars are people I have *not* offered them to. See above.
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:00 am
I’m still waiting on the offer to drive his Evora. I’ve even offered to take him in a trackday in it.
You can take it out - on your own - from now until 12:30. Not a problem. :ugeek: