FTAO Macbook experts

John

FTAO Macbook experts

Post by John »

My wife has a Macbook Air that has seen very little use. It is left standing for months and I suspect this is what has caused the problem which is that the battery won't charge. The battery indicator is stuck on 1% and is refusing to go any higher although the Macbook works fine if it is plugged into the mains. There are plenty of "cures" on Google of which I have tried a few but no change in the battery status. Any ideas before we throw ourselves at the mercy of a "Genius"?

Oh and it's still just in guarantee but apparently the battery isn't covered.
scotta

Re: FTAO Macbook experts

Post by scotta »

Sounds like the battery is fucked. Left flat and now wont charge. AFAIK there isnt a hack to fix that. New battery needed. I got one replaced in my MBP reasonably cheap but if you want to keep the warranty you will need to take it to apple.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Had the case bulged at all? i.e. does it sit flat or have a wobble. Someone on here (if it was you, lol) pointed me to an extended warranty so I managed to get my battery (and keyboard) replaced for free. That was a MacBook Pro 2012 iirc. Whether you have that issue, and the same is available for your Air, no idea. But if it's bulged it might be covered.
Left over crest; tightens.
scotta

Post by scotta »

JonMad wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:03 am Had the case bulged at all? i.e. does it sit flat or have a wobble. Someone on here (if it was you, lol) pointed me to an extended warranty so I managed to get my battery (and keyboard) replaced for free. That was a MacBook Pro 2012 iirc. Whether you have that issue, and the same is available for your Air, no idea. But if it's bulged it might be covered.
My MBP did that but it was well out of warranty
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

scotta wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:27 am Sounds like the battery is fucked. Left flat and now wont charge. AFAIK there isnt a hack to fix that. New battery needed. I got one replaced in my MBP reasonably cheap but if you want to keep the warranty you will need to take it to apple.
If you've done the usual SMC resets and the like then yes, probably time for a new battery.

A friend had one done by the Apple Store recently which was pretty cheap considering - my initial guess was that DIY or third party would be cheaper but it was reasonably priced and very quickly done.
Cheers,

Mike.
John

Post by John »

No battery bulging and I've reset the SMC with no change. It's booked into Apple on Saturday so we'll see what they have to say.
John

Post by John »

New battery to be fitted free of charge so can't complain at that. Only five days left on the guarantee too.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Result!
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:28 pmResult!
that! 8-)