Starters for Christmas dinner

A starter for Christmas dinner is :

1. Essential. As is tradition.
30%
2. Essential. As greedy bastard(s)
20%
3. Essential, but nothing more substantial than soup. (A soupcon of soup?)
No votes
4. Made/served/taken out of politeness, but really I just want to get on with the main event
10%
5. Completely unnecessary, and therefore people opt out as they wish.
7%
6. Completely unnecessary, and therefore we don't do one
20%
7. We don't do Christmas dinner.
7%
8. We don't do Christmas.
3%
9. We don't do
No votes
10. We don't
3%

Total votes: 30

mik

Starters for Christmas dinner

Post by mik »

Mrs mik and I were discussing last night.

Christmas dinner in our house is generally (and not very surprisingly) traditional-ish. Mrs mik performs chef duties.

She was asking whether I would prefer a nice light salmon starter, or should she make soup? I suggested that the last thing I ever need (or therefore desire) as part of Christmas dinner is a starter. The main dish is undoubtedly the biggest meal any of us eat all year, and therefore requires 100% available stomach capacity. Maybe more.

I have been advised that I am incorrect.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Starters for Christmas dinner

Post by Gavster »

Absolutely need a starter and it should be exceptionally light too. Definitely nothing sophisticated, something with a bit of smoked salmon sounds perfect.

The correct answer to the offer of any food on Christmas Day is "yes"
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It completely depends on how you eat your dinner.

Some people sit down and after an hour are done. We have always sat down, within an hour the kids are done and off playing while we sit, grab a few more potatoes, bit more meat popped in a Yorkshire, ooh just one more pig in blanket for at least an hour after the kids have gotten down.

The best thing about Christmas dinner is the great post Christmas food is the Christmas Day leftovers so making lots and picking at it for hours is part of the joy of it all.

If I’m not genuinely worried about my Boxing Day movement, I’ve not eaten enough.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The starter is nibbles with champagne.

I might do a starter if I were cooking Christmas dinner at lunchtime for up to 4 people, but not when the family descend en masse and we have to wait for 4-5pm to have it. Sadly eating that late does mean you don't get the chance to sit around all afternoon picking at it; those are the best Christmas lunches.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:25 am The starter is nibbles with champagne.
This - although if I'm honest, I start on the Champaign at 08:00 when I start cooking.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Yes, that too Dinny - it's a long drawn out starter :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I never cook a starter when I'm cooking and my partner generally does a Japanese buffet when they're cooking so we don't starter.

Unless you do something really nice, the usual soup, pate etc seems like an afterthought.
An absolute unit
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

We barely eat breakfast on Xmas in preparation for what is to come!

There is no room for anything other than dinner, my wife gets the big oval plates out for it and there's not even going to be room for the traditional Viennetta :lol:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Prawn cocktail is traditional in my house. I’m landing back from Mumbai at 3pm on Christmas Day, so don’t think I’ll be having too much champagne with breakfast 😉. I enjoy cooking (and am therefore the best cook) but not sure what to do this year. Timing is completely screwing up all family plans 🙄
Cheers,

Ian
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:32 am Yes, that too Dinny - it's a long drawn out starter :lol:
:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Must have the starter, it prepares the stomach for the utter assault that is about to take place.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

No need for a starter, as the day is just one long meal with a steady stream of nibbles and drinks on offer.

But, in your case, Mrs Mik is obviously right and you are therefore not. Wear stretchier pants and trousers.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

There has to be a starter, to bridge for delays in cooking the main but mostly because it's tradition.

Smoked salmon with lightly buttered toast points with fizzy wine (cremant very acceptable and indeed encouraged).
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I don't make starters. I rarely do a pudding.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Always a starter - it helps to soak up the booze that's already been consumed. The wife likes the traditional smoked salmon with blinis but I'm less fussed what we have tbh, as long as it's fairly small and light. And always in the middle of the day so there's plenty of recovery time for evening snacking on the leftovers which, for me, are actually the highlight of the day in terms of food. Cold pigs in blankets, cold leftover roasties, and plain chicken sandwiches with plenty of butter and black pepper. 8-)

Soup doesn't seem like the best idea though - soup is generally relatively filling compared to something non-liquid. Unless you go down the broth route. But even then, you can't have soup without buttered bread can you, so you're filling up on something else as well.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes - seafood 'starter' is effectively Christmas Day brunch / lunch with the main event mid(ish) afternoon. I can't be arsed waking up at 6 to start prep so its a good way of not starving yourself (i.e. getting wasted) until 4pm

We just typically have cheese / mince pies for dessert (if anyone can stomach it - usually just me :lol:). We don't own a microwave and no-one can be arsed steaming Christmas pudding!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mik is correct. No starter need what so ever. Let me get stuck straight in with the main. And then I’ll go back for seconds and thirds of that.

Then have a snooze.
Cheers, Harry
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Maybe a consommé or miso would be more acceptable/lighter variety of soup?
Cheers,

Ian
Barry

Post by Barry »

Starter is a legal requirement surely.

Pre drinks
Starter
Rest and more drinks
Main
Rest and more drinks
Dessert
Cheese board
Coffee
More drinks.

This should last most of the day though, to be clear..
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Barry wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:31 pm Starter is a legal requirement surely.

Pre drinks
Starter
Rest and more drinks
Main
Rest and more drinks
Dessert
Cheese board
Coffee
More drinks.

This should last most of the day though, to be clear..
Barry IC. By the end of the meal you should be thinking that you're so full you're never touching any food again, only for 3hrs later someone to break and ask if anyone else is a bit peckish and fancies some nibbles/leftovers, stating "I hadn't realised just how hungry I'd got again" . :D