Value of vintage furniture

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Value of vintage furniture

Post by Gavin »

My Dad has taken our old kitchen table and chairs out of the attic and asked me to sell them, and very kindly has said I can keep the money.

Having looked online, they seem to be anywhere from 110 for a table to 2000 for the table with 4 chairs. I have a table and 2 chairs.

I had no idea they were even sought after tbh but 60s retro is cool, possibly. :D
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: Value of vintage furniture

Post by JonMad »

We've got some old mahogany chairs and tables in the garage. Tried a few local antique places years ago, they didn't offer much at all. Should probably revisit that as they are just taking up space.
Left over crest; tightens.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

You need to batter them with pastel colour, then sand them, then put on fb as "shabi cheec" for £ :shock: :lol: and they'll be gone in no time - especially if you include a "lift, loft, lard" mirror.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have a lovely client who does furniture restoration. He sourced me some nice old dining chairs recently - £100 for 5 of them. He told me there’s not much demand for it these days; he’s planning to retire soon.

There are also quite a few antiques barns around Warwickshire and Gloucestershire which I have frequented over the last 15 years. They have spaces for different sellers. It’s very obvious at one that there is a seller who tries to hawk much more expensive stuff than others, and the turnover of stock in his space is incredibly slow. I’m sure a genuine Chippendale piece is worth something but mostly people just want to get some appropriate furniture for their old house rather than going to Ikea, so I think you’re generally lucky to get much money for anything these days.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s a bunch of these old antique stores on Lots Road which I walk past most days that also seem to have their stock change in a matter of years.
I went in once to enquire about something very similar to this https://www.vinterior.co/home-decor/ac ... yUQAvD_BwE but he wanted £5000 for it and thus ended my antique exploits.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Some stuff sells for stupid money. Stag minstrel stuff has shot up because think its solid wood and it’s not- it’s just chipboard with veneer
IMG_0239.jpeg
IMG_0239.jpeg (139.12 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
I bought this stag minstrel captains chest from Facebook marketplace for £35, sanded/painted and apparently I could sell it on vinterior for £1200
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

My mrs loves the old 60s Gplan stuff. Just looks like shite old brown furniture to me. Must admit their glass coffee table is a classic but the rest of it does absolutely nothing for me.

We had to go and pick up a table and chairs from some old people once, I think the van hire cost twice as much as she won them for.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The 60s G-plan stuff is pretty well made and very mid-century in style so works well in a mid-century house. Our current house was built in the 60s and I got a G-plan dining table and chairs for £100 or so from a charity shop which suited it perfectly - sadly my wife wanted to update it with something more Scandi-chic so we got rid in favour of a far less useful and practical Swedish table and benches.

Some people are trying to bump up the price of G-plan but there is so much out there in charity shops etc, if you do like it don’t pay much.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I also love G Plan stuff. I bought a dining table and chairs plus a nest of tables from the estate we bought our house off as a job lot including appliances for £200.

My wife hated them and binned the nest of tables shortly after and she replaced the dining table when we knocked through the living/dining room with a modern oak and glass tat after a couple of years!

I couldn't give the dining table and chairs away and ended up tipping them which I was gutted about.

I suspect a city dweller would have a better chance of selling them even if it was for peanuts to the trade.

The glass tat was given away a couple of years ago when we extended the kitchen and replaced with a small Ercol extending table which gets well used despite my wife's dislike of it :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

We're in the process of clearing my mum's house, all of her furniture is antique (generally 100+ years old). However it's all well used and probably in need of refurbishment work. I think we'll be lucky if we can give it away rather than pay someone to clear it. Neither my sister or I really have time to research what it is or whether it's worth anything.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:31 pm We're in the process of clearing my mum's house, all of her furniture is antique (generally 100+ years old). However it's all well used and probably in need of refurbishment work. I think we'll be lucky if we can give it away rather than pay someone to clear it. Neither my sister or I really have time to research what it is or whether it's worth anything.
Might be worth asking any local auction houses would come and appraise it
Beany

Post by Beany »

I've tried googling gplan stuff and despite you lot all saying it's iconic or something, I don't recognise any of it.

Presumably no-one up north every travelled to populated areas to see it and buy it.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:35 am I've tried googling gplan stuff and despite you lot all saying it's iconic or something, I don't recognise any of it.

Presumably no-one up north every travelled to populated areas to see it and buy it.
Less of the up north please. ;) See plenty of it on this side of the Pennines. I suspect it's more that everyone in YERRKSHERRR was too f'kin tight to buy anything modern and trendy when "wev alreddeh got a tebble n' cherrs wot's bin in't famleh for yers, n' the;s nowt rwong wi' 'et"

My grandparents had quite a few bits of G-plan and when it came to clearing the flat after they'd gone, we found it really difficult to offload. No one wanted to pay much for it, and even the dedicated resellers we found in S. Manchester were giving fairly low-ball offers.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:11 am
Beany wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:35 am I've tried googling gplan stuff and despite you lot all saying it's iconic or something, I don't recognise any of it.

Less of the up north please. ;) See plenty of it on this side of the Pennines.
I'm referring to Wick/Thurso, so if you don't mind - fuck off, you southern jessie ;)
mik

Post by mik »

So @Beany is unable to locate the G-Plan. :?

I'm sure there must be a joke in there somewhere. :geek:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:17 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:11 am

Less of the up north please. ;) See plenty of it on this side of the Pennines.
I'm referring to Wick/Thurso, so if you don't mind - fuck off, you southern jessie ;)
:lol:
scotta

Post by scotta »

jamcg wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:16 pm Some stuff sells for stupid money. Stag minstrel stuff has shot up because think its solid wood and it’s not- it’s just chipboard with veneer

IMG_0239.jpeg

I bought this stag minstrel captains chest from Facebook marketplace for £35, sanded/painted and apparently I could sell it on vinterior for £1200
How much for the dag?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

scotta wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:10 am
jamcg wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:16 pm Some stuff sells for stupid money. Stag minstrel stuff has shot up because think its solid wood and it’s not- it’s just chipboard with veneer

IMG_0239.jpeg

How much for the dag?
Black ex racing greyhounds? There’s hundreds of them in rescue places, for some reason no one wants the black ones so they can’t give them away

This one’s special though. The amazing Missy Moo. Bids start at £20k