Car insurance

Beany

Re: Car insurance

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I don't think ~£1500 is normal either, other wise I'd not have brought it up :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Have you had quotes with it modded? They may well quote and cover you for proposed mods so you don't have to make adjustments when they're done, but that the car is standard at the start.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Not as yet, I might give my lot a call tomorrow with that, and see what they say. That said, I suspect it's unlikely to be below a grand regardless.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Car insurance prices on average in the UK are now £995 p.a.! I'd say that makes £1,500 for a performance car parked on the street driven by a 40 year old man "normal" pretty much by definition, at least it is now in 2024 given the (apparently) 58% YoY increase we've seen. Hopefully prices will fall back across the board, but I think everyone knows that's unlikely in practice.

Of course YMMV but I wouldn't buy a 300bhp BMW expecting that insurance would be significantly lower than that given what's been happening in the market lately. You may be able to, you may not - but £1,500 is not particularly a piss take these days (remember this has as near as makes no difference e90 M3 performance but in a hatchback).

I'm now a bit morbidly fascinated about what I've been quoted for things in the past - seems that I got a quote of £1700 p.a. for a £50k Maser GT parked on the street in London in 2022 and £807 for the 997 in 2019. Things have gone mental haven't they :(

ETA - £983 on my Boxster S in 2012 and I was 25!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

So far, I don't think I've ever had to pay over £1k. It's usually been around £600 for the last 20 years - with the insurance group/value of car increase offset by my age and NCB increasing!

Though the cheapest policy I've ever had was my (brand new) Golf GTI which was c.£400.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sorted our insurance. Ended up with a multicar policy with Hasting Direct, creeping in just over £1,100.

The things they charge for is just mental. On one I realised the start date was off by a day, adjusted it and the price went up by £35. Complete joke. Also tried DirectLine who wanted over a grand for the Zoe alone.

Just need to cancel the automatic renewal of the old policy, which you obviously can't do without calling them. What a faff.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:48 pm So far, I don't think I've ever had to pay over £1k. It's usually been around £600 for the last 20 years - with the insurance group/value of car increase offset by my age and NCB increasing!

Though the cheapest policy I've ever had was my (brand new) Golf GTI which was c.£400.
Cheapest I’ve had was the M135, it’s also the most expensive now!
Simon

Post by Simon »

My wife's renewal is up and she's gone from @550 to @950, again another year of no-claims etc etc.

Two things pushing hers up, (apart from the norm of accident repair garages and credit hire companies both ripping off insurance companies, thus increasing their costs generally) - she has more years no-claims than she does of license, and a few companies don't like that and '#ERROR' when you do it. Frustrating as hell, particularly as it can't be that uncommon to get a car and insurance before you've passed your test.

Secondly, of course, because 'immigrant'. Tried a couple of blind tests a couple of years ago of keeping everything the same and just swapping her country of birth on some quotes and it definitely had an effect. Sucks really.

Doing some hunting around. That's with Hastings Direct, but will see if switching back to Admiral, or others, will yield better results.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

The more NCB than years since test passed is perverse, the vehicle didn't catch fire or get stolen :roll:
The "immigrant" bit I could understand for, say, the first year if driving on a foreign licence, but years down the line after passing a UK test seems an act of dubious legality.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:24 am The more NCB than years since test passed is perverse, the vehicle didn't catch fire or get stolen :roll:
The "immigrant" bit I could understand for, say, the first year if driving on a foreign licence, but years down the line after passing a UK test seems an act of dubious legality.
My stepdaughter will shortly have two years’ NCB and hasn’t passed her test yet (she’s not been trying to for a while because she’s been off at university but her car still needed to be insured).
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ran my S6 through the meerkat and the premiums are about the same as last April when I got it. Which is still a bit too much for an old fart in a dads' car but hey.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Paid £196 last year for the 330 - £1 less than the year before. Fairly happy with how cheap the E91 has been for insurance in the time I've had it! :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:40 pm Ran my S6 through the meerkat and the premiums are about the same as last April when I got it. Which is still a bit too much for an old fart in a dads' car but hey.
In a market that has gone up exponentially that's a great result!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:02 pm Paid £196 last year for the 330 - £1 less than the year before. Fairly happy with how cheap the E91 has been for insurance in the time I've had it! :lol:
Yep - incredible value. A little bit more than the cost of two tanks of fuel to insure a car for a whole year is a pittance.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:20 am
nuttinnew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:24 am The more NCB than years since test passed is perverse, the vehicle didn't catch fire or get stolen :roll:
My stepdaughter will shortly have two years’ NCB and hasn’t passed her test yet (she’s not been trying to for a while because she’s been off at university but her car still needed to be insured).
I know how you get it, it's ins. cos. having a problem with it that's :? :roll: :x
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

This was on the BBC this morning, trying to suggest that car insurers were institutionally racist....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68349396

However, I was more taken back at an "average" of a 30 year old teacher paying £2k a year on a Ford Fiesta!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I did a "whaaaat???" last week when my boss (professional, late fifties, surely a low risk) told me he pays ~£900 to insure his XC40. He does live in London, but not London London, he's in a nice leafy bit to the NW.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Its £1100 for all four of ours.

Screw London prices!!

Dave!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I was scoffing at the city boys as well before realising we pay £6,000 for me, my wife and 2 kids for 4 cars. Your time will come Dave lol
Simon

Post by Simon »

Simon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:55 pm My wife's renewal is up and she's gone from @550 to @950, again another year of no-claims etc etc.

Two things pushing hers up, (apart from the norm of accident repair garages and credit hire companies both ripping off insurance companies, thus increasing their costs generally) - she has more years no-claims than she does of license, and a few companies don't like that and '#ERROR' when you do it. Frustrating as hell, particularly as it can't be that uncommon to get a car and insurance before you've passed your test.

Secondly, of course, because 'immigrant'. Tried a couple of blind tests a couple of years ago of keeping everything the same and just swapping her country of birth on some quotes and it definitely had an effect. Sucks really.

Doing some hunting around. That's with Hastings Direct, but will see if switching back to Admiral, or others, will yield better results.
So total last year including RAC breakdown was 618 (550 was without breakdown). Total original renewal was 982. Got it down to 777, including breakdown, euro cover, protected NCB, etc etc etc, so 'only' 25% more than last year. Happy enough with that as it beat all the confused.com prices, so will be sticking with Hastings for another year.
The artist formerly known as _Who_