GTA 6

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: GTA 6

Post by Matty »

GTA 6 is going to be the entertainment equivalent of the second coming.

Massive pressure on them to deliver something spectacular, but it'll break all records regardless...had no idea (although probably should have guessed) that GTA5 is the highest grossing entertainment product of all time. Insane.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It’s easy to forget how old gtaV is, they’ve milled it for so long and I’m sure there are many many people who have paid for more than one copy ( I’ve got 360, ps3 and pc versions and don’t even consider myself that much of a fanboy )

It still looks good, plays well and feels relevant.

I will buy 6, but already slightly concerned about how big it’s going to be and how badly it will make my pc creak
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Matty wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:16 pm GTA 6 is going to be the entertainment equivalent of the second coming.

Massive pressure on them to deliver something spectacular, but it'll break all records regardless...had no idea (although probably should have guessed) that GTA5 is the highest grossing entertainment product of all time. Insane.
It's been out for ten years, the multiplayer is rammed with microtransactions, and has been re-released on multiple platforms - when you look at it that way, it's no surprise it pisses all over your Avatars and your Avengers.

Recurring revenue, and all that.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GTA 6 will have to go some to be as good as GTA V in single player. Quite what they do with online is going to be interesting; it’s not like I really want to start from scratch after playing online for 10 years but it’s going to be a new game so it’s really the only way. I never bought any Shark cards because I made money simply playing online but I bet the next gen will basically require it - it’s the new norm.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Beany wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:17 pm
Matty wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:16 pm GTA 6 is going to be the entertainment equivalent of the second coming.

It's been out for ten years, the multiplayer is rammed with microtransactions, and has been re-released on multiple platforms - when you look at it that way, it's no surprise it pisses all over your Avatars and your Avengers.

Recurring revenue, and all that.
It's amazing really. I skipped the last console generation and haven't the time for the current one, but my venerable XBox 360 is sitting here on my computer plugged into my monitor and I sometimes play GTA 5 on it. It feels ancient now and yet that's the last one they released.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

On the back of that exciting announcement of a forthcoming trailer I really should get around to playing the free copy of GTAV that Epic provided a few years ago.

I've nearly completed Alien Isolation so it's either GTAV or buy Baldurs Gate 3.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I hope the make the single player decent too rather than just filler for the multiplayer.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm already tired of the hype cycle for the next gen of triple A games :lol:.

I'm sure they'll all be massive and excellent but when they're taking a decade+ to make a game everyone needs to chill about them a bit.
An absolute unit
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

I play GTAO a fair bit so I'm really excited for this.

However, Rockstar has lost a lot of key figures over the past few years including veterans Dan Houser and Lazlow Jones. I think this will be the first Rockstar title where Dan hasn't been the creative force.

Also, R* has undergone a bit it a cultural change as of late. The 'frat boy club' as it was known has been cleaned up and the workplace is apparently more politically correct. Fine, but will that impact writing and creative decisions?

On top of that, the world has become a different place since 5 was announced 12 years ago. I can't help but feel that content that was controversial then will be even harder to justify now.

If they tone it all down and shy away from certain topics, then they'll be accused of going woke, but it would also mean dropping the classic GTA DNA, which fans won't accept.

I'll be interested to see how they navigate all of this. GTA is a fantastic satire of the real world, but if they depict it too accurately (violence, drugs, crime, etc) then they'll surely be accused (as before) of encouraging these things and politicians will again accuse them of being the root of all evil, and that video games, not poor policies & laws, are to blame for societal failings.

I'd like to think that 6 won't be 'woke'. South Park still gets away with this stuff AFAIK, so hopefully R* stays true to what made the series so popular.

Also, get ready for the trailer to be the most over analysed video ever :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Putting aside all the handwringing about wokeness :lol: I don't think it's harder to make satire or edgy jokes, it's just the subject matter has changed. Stuff like It's Always Sunny proves that.
An absolute unit
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Oh, 'wokeness' in general isn't something I care about, I'm just looking at this as an observer, not as a participant of the great culture wars :lol:

Yeah, I still believe it will be a classic GTA experience, depsite a changing world and loss of Dan, Lazlow, etc. considering the behemoth the franchise is, it has to work.

I hope they sort out the mess that online has become. Public lobbies can be truly awful.
GG.

Post by GG. »

S. Houser - brilliant name. Hope his middle names are Henry Ian Thomas
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Alex88 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:09 am GTA is a fantastic satire of the real world
There is a lot to live up to. GTA V started out as a biting satire of the real world, with so much detail it genuinely took years to see it all. The real world loved it so much it started to reflect GTA; where GTA's cultural references were picked from decades of inspiring music, film, politics etc, new media in the last decade has regularly had overt references to GTA as its inspiration.

Frankly I don't think it's possible for GTA 6 to achieve anything like the impact GTA V did, even if it will (inevitably) make more money - at least initially. I wonder if we'll still be playing it after a decade?

The obvious thing for Rockstar to do is to make it more of the same but in a different location, and that's doubtless what it will. But there has to be a reset - you can't start off a new game world with jet-powered hover bikes with homing missiles. I imagine 90%+ of the GTA 6 buyers will have played GTA V previously; who is really up for a reset?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Am looking forward to this as I never really got in to the online side of GTA V. The single player game was absolutely incredible though and I still return to it.

I still have Red Dead 2 to play through though... And picked up a PS5 recently for the Spiderman games and the chance to finally play Shadow of the Colossus. Only 18 years after that game came out originally...
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I ended up loving the online side of GTA V despite not being an immediate fan. The whole map seemed less populated than the single player game - fewer pieces of street furniture to make it run better, that sort of thing - but the ability to race against others led to much hilarity over Christmas 2013 and then I found a few friends from here playing so we teamed up, did missions together etc which was great. I will never have the same amount of free time to devote to the next version so I'm realistic that I definitely won't be playing 6 online as much as V :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, Online ended up being something I played a lot. I do miss the banter a bit.
An absolute unit
scotta

Post by scotta »

With V now being on game pass im having a bit of a resurgance online. The probelm i had before was not many folk i knew played on xbox. IVe got a good few mates now that are playing on xbox and were all about at the same level.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

All this talk of GTA6 is making me want to get a PS5 and dive into it when it's launched. I had some awesome times on GTA in the past, but have been completely out of the gaming scene for over a decade now.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

The trailer was due to be released tomorrow, but someone leaked it on Twitter this evening.. So Rockstar released it early. It's on YouTube now.