Smartwatch v mechanical watch

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Smartwatch v mechanical watch

Post by Ascender »

That's pretty incredible :o

I know some doctors are dismissive of watches like these because it can panic people into thinking they have an issue when they don't, but if they can help even a few people get diagnosed and treated before something really bad happens...
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:35 am I'll post in the watch thread, but mrs mike keeps saying "you're not James Bond."
As he's a secret agent, how would she know if you were?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:18 am Show him the health app and you can clearly see my resting heart rate looks abnormal vs previous year and he says “to put your mind at peace we can arrange an echocardiogram”
That is pretty awesome 8-) (not the illness(es)).
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I wore an Apple watch for about 18 months, but it just sits on my bedside table now. I got fed up with what felt like the constant notifications to do something. You need to stand up etc.

I was being a bit obsessed with trying to complete the rings daily. Just found it a bit too much of a pain. Then being annoyed if I ever failed to complete all the rings in a day. I bought a mechanical watch (Oris Aquis) after that and haven't looked back. I also really like just listening to the watch tick, which you can't do with a smart watch.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I love getting my ring filled and it’s a really special feeling when all three get filled in one day!
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

Brannen wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:21 am I bought a mechanical watch (Oris Aquis) after that
Which one? I think the Aquis is a great looking watch - was looking at one recently (before remembering that I don’t need another watch).
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

It's just the date version, with the black dial on a rubber strap. I really love it.

Just looking at the Oris site as well, it's now gone up in price by £300 since I bought it. Well, if buying direct from Oris.

This one - https://www.oris.ch/en-GB/watch/aquis-d ... -4-21-64fc
mik

Post by mik »

Very nice. 8-) I was oggling one of the marginally larger (41.5mm) blue-dialed models.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I very nearly went with the blue dial when I was initially looking. Was a tough choice! I really liked the green dial also.
Simon

Post by Simon »

IanF wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:07 am I love getting my ring filled and it’s a really special feeling when all three get filled in one day!
<snigger>

The wife got pretty obsessed with filling her rings when she used to go to the gym every morning. Now we've the second child and she's not bothered with filling them in at all. I offered to fill her rings for her as I could use the exercise, but she doesn't think that'd be fair.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Back OT, got myself a Garmin health tracker/fitness/smart watch but still wanted to wear my other watches, so most days during the week I'm wearing two (Garmin always on my right wrist, the 'wrong' one). At the weekends or on hols I'll just wear the smartwatch (on my left wrist). I find the notifications useful to see the rare occasion of someone phoning me (I always keep my phone on silent), or if it's a notification I can ignore. The only issue is the text is so small I can't read it without my glasses on, so if I'm anywhere other than sat at my laptop it's a bit blurry - so in fact probably takes longer to squint at the watch at arm's length than it would to get my phone out and check who/what it was.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Brannen wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:55 pm I very nearly went with the blue dial when I was initially looking. Was a tough choice! I really liked the green dial also.
They're really nice watches - I kept looking at the 39.5mm versions when they were offered in lots of different colours. I realised I'd not be able to switch straps easily due to the bespoke lugs which gives a particularly nice look to the whole thing, then Oris stopped making so many different versions of the smaller diameter model.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ascender wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:09 am That's pretty incredible :o

I know some doctors are dismissive of watches like these because it can panic people into thinking they have an issue when they don't, but if they can help even a few people get diagnosed and treated before something really bad happens...
A lot of the problem is that we don’t really know what to do with the data produced.

All our tests are based on people with symptoms, so if you have no symptoms but a test comes positive it is quite hard to know if someone has a condition or not, and how it should be managed.

The data is slowly evolving.

Good example is irregular heartbeat (atrial fibrillation).
We know people in AF all the time are at risk of forming blood clots and having strokes, so we give blood thinning medications and their stroke risk is reduced.
We don’t know if people who have 6 seconds of AF picked up without symptoms on a smart watch are at a higher risk of stroke and don’t know if the bleeding risks of taking a blood thinner would be justified by a meaningful reduction in stroke risk.

TL/DR - we don’t really know what to do with the extra information generated