Ultra Marathon - general running thread

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Ultra Marathon - general running thread

Post by Gavin »

After vascillating for the past couple of years and twice donig relay legs of our local Ultra as well as a few marrathon length multi disciplines I decided to do a full Ultra before turning 50 so next August I will attempt to run 60k.

I know there is at least one super fit Ultra runner on her but a thread where we can encourage each others efforts might be nice.

Or just a few replies calling me a daft old twat... :lol:
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Ultra Marathon - general running thread

Post by Gavster »

You bloody lunatic why would you go and do something like that, did you leave your last therapist crying or something :lol:

You're also probably thinking of @Ascender on here, who has competed in, and organised long-distance events.

There is a running thread already in existence here which I started last year when I was considering the Thames path 100km, after seeing Mark Lewis on YouTube do it (he's worth a sub, very funny channel about fitness. I kept getting a repetitive injury once my runs got over an hour and it turns out I've got a hernia which will be the reason why! Hence moving over to triathlon where I can cycle/swim to reduce the stress on my groin until the NHS finally get around to operating (likely to be around 6-9 months).

Have you got an event in mind? What are the mult-discipline events you've been doing too?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

A good mate of mine does ultras, he's currently training for this:

https://run247.com/race-guides/snowdon- ... ollow-live

"Only" 40km, but over 3,000m of climbing. Nuts.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I work with a women who regularly does Ultras - up to and including 100 mile runs.

She does not look like a runner at all but is similar age. Slow and steady is her mantra.

She credits stubbornness as the key quality.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

I ran a bath the other night.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

mik wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:50 pm I ran a bath the other night.
:lol: :lol:
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I did the Aviemore triathlon a month or two back to get my shouldr working after the rotator cuff tear. did a run bike run round kielder a few years back as well so nothing long distance recently at all but my pal runs 100k and spine races etc and he is doing this one at my pace (thank goodness) with me, training and the event too.

My main thing is to slow down on training runs, walk up hills if needs be and then just aim to finish so time on feet. I do not think I will be troubling the fit people :)

Edited to add - It is the 60k Issac's Tea Trail Ultra, run by Greener running I think is their name.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I've been doing lots of Zone 2/aerobic threshold running over the last year and it's been a great process. Firsetly, setting a hard limit on heart rate has genuinely ensured I run slow, and sometimes it feels very slow! One basic way to work it out is 180bpm minus your age. It has made a noticeable difference to pace though. The test is to warmup then run 3 miles at the max aerobic heart rate, back in January it was 9.19miles, and then last week it was 8.07miles. And that's with only running 2 or 3 times a week (although the swimming and cycling training my have helped with overall aerobic fitness too)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Good to see someone else succumbing to the craziness.

Have you got a race you'd like to do @Gavin? There's so many these days and with a wide degree of difficulty out there. If you're friend does the Spine races then you'll be set for loads of good advice and which races to enter.

That's interesting to see your progress with heart-rate base training @Gavster. I've been plodding along in zone 1 for the last while to just work on that base level fitness and that feels really slow.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Oh god yeah, zone 1 is soo light, I do the occasional recovery run in zone 1 and it can feel challenging to keep the heart rate low enough. It begins creeping up the moment my mind wanders onto anything fun, like dinner, or my next race.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I currently have the heart rate of an elephant so when I do venture into higher zones I really feel it!
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

@Ascender I am doing Isaac's Tea Trail by Greener Miles. Should be challenging without being completely daft, like the Spine race and similar such events.

We are starting slow and just building up miles over the coming weeks and months, and upping time on feet. I haven't the lung capacity since Covid for really fast shorter runs (not that I was very fast, but I am now far slower) so longer distances at a lower speed should suit me. Plus if I push when it is cold, I struggle with breathing and go a bit wheezy due to mile asthma so all round should be good.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

That looks like a fabulous event, nice one!

Covid really has done a number on some people... so strange how it affects everyone differently and no sign of any way to undo the damage done so far.

I see Vernon Kay has raised a silly amount of money by running 100+ miles over a few days and at the same time triggered running arseholes complaining it's "not a proper ultra". Bloody people...
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Yes, my wife is on various running groups and it was the fact it was being caled an "ultra ultra" that caused people to raise an eyebrow.

Eddie Izzard will be laughing his socks off.