New Pickup Time

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

New Pickup Time

Post by Ascender »

After 10 years ferrying dogs around, towing horses, putting-on races, going proper off-road, the Nissan Navara is about to be put out to pasture. Its had a hard life but been used as intended. It's at that point now where there's always something going wrong with it and some of them are getting harder to track down as we've already replaced the obvious stuff. Latest is some electrical gremlin affecting the glow plugs which is going to need a (bright) spark to investigate.

I did a search but the subject hasn't come up much... Mechanic and a quick Google reckons a Ford Ranger is the way to go these days. There's no Navara any more. Isuzu is expensive for parts.

We did toy with the idea of something more like an SUV, but having the flatbed at the back means we don't have any dog stench in the car and its so easy to clean if there's bales of hay and sheep etc in it...

@Mito Man - I thought you might have a view and experience on this sort of car ...
Cheers,

Mike.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: New Pickup Time

Post by IanF »

Don’t VW do one? I imagine spares are cross-shared and plentiful
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The VW one is expensive.

The Ranger or Hilux are still the ones to go for I think.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Haven’t much of a clue, I know the farmer used to be an Isuzu fan but he isn’t happy with the latest one he bought new a few years ago, has a smaller engine than the last one and drinks 50% more so he’s trading it in for a Ranger which should be delivered in January.
I think there’s a new Isuzu out now which looks even more ugly though.
Woodland neighbour has a current shape Hilux he bought 2 years ago, pleased with it and it’s solid.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

As Rev isn't here any more : "Get a Raptor"
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

IanF wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:43 pm Don’t VW do one? I imagine spares are cross-shared and plentiful
Yes, VW have the Amarok which I think is a bit of a shared venture with Ford and they share parts, but seems to be more expensive than the equivalent Ford.

We had an Isuzu Trooper which was fabulous but they don't make them any more and I've not heard great things about the pickup that's effectively replaced it - @Mito Man that's interesting to know.

Hilux is a good shout to check out.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ISTR reading that there's issues with the engines in the Ranger. Don't know how much of that is internet being internet.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Can't help your query but I've always wanted to ask someone who drives one...

Does the Navara fall into the category with lower speed limits and if so, do you observe them ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Mrs Mike would love that! I am therefore choosing not to send it any further.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:35 pm Does the Navara fall into the category with lower speed limits and if so, do you observe them ??
As this isn't twitter or mumsnet, I think I'm in a safe space and can be honest...

Whit?

Although as I say that there's something in the dim, far reaches of my brain saying there's something about ones classed as commercial and weights or something?
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Escalades are pretty sturdy underneath all the tat, built on the same chassis as the Silverado series trucks. A very sensible purchase :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ascender wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:17 pm
dinny_g wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:35 pm Does the Navara fall into the category with lower speed limits and if so, do you observe them ??
As this isn't twitter or mumsnet, I think I'm in a safe space and can be honest...

Whit?

Although as I say that there's something in the dim, far reaches of my brain saying there's something about ones classed as commercial and weights or something?
Yeah - some are classed as commercial (I think it's weight derived) and so the limits are 50 in 60 zones and 60 on the Motorway and Dual Carriageways..

Edit - information here - 2,040kg seems to be the weight threshold with Hilux's and Rangers falling into the lower limit category but the Isuzu D-Max having "car" limits...

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/ ... ed-limits/
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

I thought it was related to the payload capability?

I read something recently on twatter but can’t find it….
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:26 pm Unimog! With rather more leather than they normally have....

Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Everyone loves a Unimog!
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:55 pm I thought it was related to the payload capability?

I read something recently on twatter but can’t find it….
The Defender Commercial, even in swb form, is subject to the lower limits. It’s a bizarre distinction and catches some variants of window/multi-seat vans like the Merc Vito but not others.
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

Get this.
It's a bargain at only £59,400.

GG.

Post by GG. »

That's a 1993 car not, 2023, surely?!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They still make J70s for the Middle East and SA iirc. They are ludicrously priced though.
An absolute unit