Smerkin' tabs

mik

Smerkin' tabs

Post by mik »

Sorry for the Viz reference.

New smoking law - anyone born after 2009 will never be able to purchase cigarettes legally.

I am sure this prohibition will work effectively, and not drive a healthy black-market instead.

Mito Man

Re: Smerkin' tabs

Post by Mito Man »

Does this apply to cigars too?
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Only to cigars made before 2009.
Simon

Post by Simon »

How are they going to enforce this in a few years?

"Sorry, you look 36 to me, not 37. No cigarettes for you".
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Apart from the tax revenue there's nothing good about tobacco, so I've no objections to phasing it out.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

What SJ said.

It's never made sense that we allow a couple of addictive and harmful narcotics while being strict on all the others.
An absolute unit
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

However, I'll only give up my booze when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I'm inconsistent like that.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s another overreach by the government. One day everyone will be trapped in open air prisons, sorry, 5 minute cities, with restrictions on what you can eat and drink. There will be feck all fun to be had as each time one person dies from something, that something will be banned.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

:lol: I can't tell if you're doing a bit just now.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I see no issue.

Unless we all want to sit here and protest for children under 14 to have the right in the future to buy hugely addictive cigarettes that carry a very high chance of giving them cancer and have zero health benefits?

I'd be up for banning them entirely now (and I am still partial to a few when out drinking).
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:07 am :lol: I can't tell if you're doing a bit just now.
He's channelling Broccers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I don't have a problem with the ban at all, though it is somewhat inconsistent with the creeping legalisation of cannabis. I thought we'd discussed this on here previously though; it's all very well banning something but doing it based on date of birth - so in 2049 you can buy ciggies if you're aged 41 but not if you're aged 40 - is just bizarre and pretty much unenforceable.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:49 am I don't have a problem with the ban at all, though it is somewhat inconsistent with the creeping legalisation of cannabis. I thought we'd discussed this on here previously though; it's all very well banning something but doing it based on date of birth - so in 2049 you can buy ciggies if you're aged 41 but not if you're aged 40 - is just bizarre and pretty much unenforceable.
the idea is, in 2049, the under 40 year olds won't have ever bought cigarettes before (and certainly not when they're 16-25 when they would have been most likely to have tried them) so unlikely to start.

Of course no one is going to go to the trouble of asking a 40 year old for id.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Maybe they'll hang around outside the tobacconist's shop, asking anyone who looks over 41 to nip in and buy them a pack of 10.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

tbf weed is much less dangerous than tobacco. You can get dry vapes now that don’t even burn it.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:04 am Maybe they'll hang around outside the tobacconist's shop, asking anyone who looks over 41 to nip in and buy them a pack of 10.
😂
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:54 am
Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:49 am I don't have a problem with the ban at all, though it is somewhat inconsistent with the creeping legalisation of cannabis. I thought we'd discussed this on here previously though; it's all very well banning something but doing it based on date of birth - so in 2049 you can buy ciggies if you're aged 41 but not if you're aged 40 - is just bizarre and pretty much unenforceable.
the idea is, in 2049, the under 40 year olds won't have ever bought cigarettes before (and certainly not when they're 16-25 when they would have been most likely to have tried them) so unlikely to start.

Of course no one is going to go to the trouble of asking a 40 year old for id.
If the idea worked in any way there would be no demand for illegal drugs as no one would have tried them before :lol:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Not a fan of control like this.. my stepson smokes but we actually feel that’s better than vaping as there’s less opportunity to actually smoke at school, the vaping cough his mates have are really shocking etc

I’d prefer we educate and allow people to make informed decisions, but I also think we should legalise cannabis, and increase taxation across the board to discourage use.
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The other way to do it would be to price it the same as weed. Currently at around £8 a gram, a small pouch of rolling tobacco would cost £200 :lol:
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

IanF wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:47 am Not a fan of control like this.. my stepson smokes but we actually feel that’s better than vaping as there’s less opportunity to actually smoke at school, the vaping cough his mates have are really shocking etc
Not sure about that tbh. I'm not a huge fan of the unregulated nature of vaping but smoking is still just inhaling a whole bunch of lethal chemicals with no real benefit.
An absolute unit