3%
10. EV
No votes

Total votes: 38

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Have you EV’d?

Post by Jobbo »

@Swervin_Mervin Funnily enough I had a lift from some friends in their Enyaq recently. My experience was exactly the same - heavy acceleration and heavy braking. Ergh. They also dropped me at the wrong Premier Inn but I was so pleased to get out, I didn't notice until they'd gone :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:38 pm @Swervin_Mervin Funnily enough I had a lift from some friends in their Enyaq recently. My experience was exactly the same - heavy acceleration and heavy braking. Ergh. They also dropped me at the wrong Premier Inn but I was so pleased to get out, I didn't notice until they'd gone :lol:
This may be a new thang. I got an EV taxi in a Germanland city recently. Saloon - can't even recall what it was, but the transmission tunnel in the rear was massive :shock: Driver was a similarly aggressive pedal-stabber. Comfort level = minus 2.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I had a similarly awful Uber experience - dual motor Model 3 - felt like I was in a 400bhp yoyo. In conversation I did tell the driver that I also drive a Model 3 a bit but prefer to use “Chill” mode in traffic (this was a lie, I just modulate the throttle like a normal human being) but he said he didn’t like the feel of it so we yoyo’d our way across London…
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:38 pm @Swervin_Mervin Funnily enough I had a lift from some friends in their Enyaq recently. My experience was exactly the same - heavy acceleration and heavy braking. Ergh. They also dropped me at the wrong Premier Inn but I was so pleased to get out, I didn't notice until they'd gone :lol:
:lol:

Was that because of their driving skills do you think, or more car related? Genuinely intrigued because I do imagine that EV characteristics might lmean that one has to make far more of an effort to drive smoothly if you really don't want to have your passengers puking.

I did have a taxi driver this year that was a complete revelation - very smooth and it was amazing the difference it makes. Was a lady, over 50. She seemed more aware and more mechanically sympathetic. The car seemed in far better shape than most taxis as well.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I think it's a combo of lack of interest in driving/cars and the car itself. It was a well educated accountant from London who I have known since university. No great interest in cars and I suspect that, combined with the easy acceleration of an EV, meant he was quietly trying to show off. Probably quite common to find that people with no interest in cars suddenly have a new car which does 0-60 in 5 seconds and they behave a bit like a teenager in their dad's car. If you've had, or at least driven, fast cars previously then it won't be such a new world of performance :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Even though I was expecting it, I did still find the acceleration in a Model S quite shocking when I was in it. I'm not sure what the majority of Tesla owners use it for though, I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla overtake another car.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

This thread has reminded me...

Whenever I read about an EV and the manufacturers tell us how it has super-fast charging capabilities and could charge to 90% in 10 mins, I just kind of read it as a manufacturer saying that a petrol engine car could do 400mph*

* if you could fill it with a virtually unobtainable fuel, that may one day become more widely available (although likely it won't ever be widely available)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I've never been in a Zoe, but that's not important right now.