Miller and Carter

dinny_g

Miller and Carter

Post by dinny_g »

This can't be legal, can it ???

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -pay-chefs

TLDR version:

They've introduced a new Tip Policy for front of house to share with kitchen staff with a minimum expected yield . If you don't make that amount of Tips in your shift, your pay is deducted to make up the minimum amount.

If their complete inability to serve acceptable Lobster wasn't reason enough not to go there, then this is.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Re: Miller and Carter

Post by DeskJockey »

I read that earlier. It never ceases to surprise me how thoughtless companies can be when setting policy.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
scotta

Post by scotta »

Myself and Mrs A went a while ago. It was really good. However it wasnt better than the Argentinian steak house in the next town from us. Which is cheaper and closer.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I've been to a few. The lettuce wedge remains utter nonsense. They vary, as chains do, though I had quite a good steak in the one in Hockley Heath a couple of weeks ago.

Really they're just a Harvester tarted up with some new paint and decor and serving overpriced steak like it's the 1980s again so I do avoid them on the whole. That and the presence of a caterpillar on my lettuce wedge the first time I went - I wasn't going to eat it anyway but the rigmarole of them forcing me to have it brought out to then find an unwelcome visitor did put me off going back for some years :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Went once, wasn't impressed. I go for steak probably at most once a year, I'd rather have something of better quality even if that means paying a couple of quid more.
mik

Post by mik »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:53 pm Went once, wasn't impressed.
Went to the Glasgow branch and felt much the same. Far better steak places in the city imho.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Nothing touches the awesome steaks and meat I had in Brazil this time last year so generally we limit our feasting to BBQs and the like.

Plus having a 3 month old doesn't help with 'going out', but still...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:43 pm
duncs500 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:53 pm Went once, wasn't impressed.
Went to the Glasgow branch and felt much the same. Far better steak places in the city imho.
Went to the Wilmslow one once, years ago, on a work lunch. Was nothing better than average pub grub, and absurdly overpriced. Not sure why anyone bothers tbh as there's usually a better option. Christ, I think I'd rather a Maccy D's even. :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That's daft. Most places split tips between foh and kitchen anyway, to codify it in a way that could cause someone to lose wages is stupid and afaik would have to be very carefully worded to be legal.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Exactly - if you're on minimum wage as a server and don't make your Tip quota - you basically get paid less than minimum wage for your shift

That can't be right
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:32 pm Exactly - if you're on minimum wage as a server and don't make your Tip quota - you basically get paid less than minimum wage for your shift

That can't be right
presumably it's more like - if you're on minimum wage plus tips as a server and the shift doesn't make its Tip quota - you don't get those tips, you basically get minimum wage for your shift.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Nope - they're deducting wages to make up the Tip Quota
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

As Jobbo mentioned, they are variable. I've eaten at a few and they've ranged between rubbish and really good.

I tend to avoid now.

I'm in Edinburgh this weekend and am going to Gaucho.I was going to do a fine dining experience but the rugby has changed that. Time for an early dinner and find a pub to watch it in. 👍