Any recommendations for winter tyres?

mik

Re: Any recommendations for winter tyres?

Post by mik »

upchassis
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:15 pm 295s (which the T850S is made in) will certainly fit on your rims and make neglibile (less than 0.9%) difference to your gearing. I don't know how close your rear tyres are to the inner arches (outside edge of the tyre) or suspension (inside edge of the tyre) but a quick peek underneath should answer that.

Our F-Pace ran 265/40/22. I put 275/40/22 winters on it as it meant I could fit Vredsteins that were about 60% of the cost.
Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:03 pm the only other one I could get a set of four in are the Pirelli Sottozerro from one supplier which are £650 each.
Or the Hankooks - as per my earlier post.
So for the rear go 295x30x20 instead?

There should be enough room given I run 21s on the rear with 295s.

Those new tyres aren't in stock until January, despite Hometyre taking the order... So am back to plan b. Which was your plan a. So the lesson of the story is....
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Are you just getting winter tyres Mike or another set of wheels as well? If the latter the BMW site usually guides as to what sizes they offer if you buy through them - usually a good starting point for figuring out what to look at.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:51 am Are you just getting winter tyres Mike or another set of wheels as well? If the latter the BMW site usually guides as to what sizes they offer if you buy through them - usually a good starting point for figuring out what to look at.
No, just tyres to go on my stock M3 wheels which are in the shed.

BMW do a set of 19s plus tyres which are £4400, so I'm trying to avoid that :D
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:53 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:51 am Are you just getting winter tyres Mike or another set of wheels as well? If the latter the BMW site usually guides as to what sizes they offer if you buy through them - usually a good starting point for figuring out what to look at.
No, just tyres to go on my stock M3 wheels which are in the shed.

BMW do a set of 19s plus tyres which are £4400, so I'm trying to avoid that :D
Ahh, got you. Yeah, I would never go via BMW for the very £££spendy reason, but the site is a good starting point for what to consider. They tend to suggest the same size wheel and tyre fitment but I guess your std M3 wheels will still be staggered.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

In case you were close to making a decision.. 😉

Cheers,

Ian
Holley

Post by Holley »

FAO Carlos and Mito, have either of you put winter tyres on your i3?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

IanF wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:20 pm In case you were close to making a decision.. 😉

Decision made! @mik gets the award for quickest, most correct solution.

Halfords have the 860s in sizes that will work. The 870 wins that tyre review test for performance tyres, but isn't available until January.

We're now into single digit temperatures and have some drives north planned over the next couple of months, so I'd rather have them here than be caught out like last time with the M2. So I'll get these sorted next week and then can switch them over when the temperature dips again.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Holley wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:39 pm FAO Carlos and Mito, have either of you put winter tyres on your i3?
No
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Halfords cancelled as they don't have the tyres... Refund #2 on its way.

Kwik Fit to the rescue. At least they say they have the tyres in stock and can fit them next week.

I await the cancellation email in the morning...
Cheers,

Mike.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:40 pm
Holley wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:39 pm FAO Carlos and Mito, have either of you put winter tyres on your i3?
No
Nor me. I have an i3s now and don't think they do staggered winters for 20s anyway.

I remember when I had a Rex they were 155 all round on winters.
GG.

Post by GG. »

GG. wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:48 pm I just looked for the 911 and doesn't even seem like they do N rated winters in 305 section :?

But you can get 315 section N rated winters... :? :?
Well... I was wondering whether the above would be rendered irrelevant by the "power of 4WD"... 5 degrees and wet testing this weekend has demonstrated that is emphatically not the case!

Booting it in first shows that the rears will spin without triggering the traction control, even with the power transfer graphic thing showing c.50% of the power going to the front... I think I had the car in sport at that time which may have backed off the traction so maybe that was a factor, plus Pirellis in my experience have always been poor in the wet.

Anyway - for pressing on in winter conditions it seems winter tyres would still be, let's say, desirable to avoid the whole "sky-ground-sky-ground-sky-ground-ditch/lampost/wall" sceanrio...
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I never had a great experience with Pirelli in the wet or cold back in the day.

So far the AWD on the touring has made a massive difference to grip in the cold, wet and now sleet/slushy conditions... and a massive difference in confidence compared to the other M cars we've had. The last week or so if I floor it coming round the corner at the bottom of the hill I can get it step out slightly before traction control kicks in, but it's very controlled.

Decent amount of snow here today, so hopefully Kwik Fit can still get up the hill to fit the winter tyres...
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Going to fit the 20" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Verdes to the Macan this weekend. I'm also pondering whether to get a set of winters or all seasons for the S6; if I had a spare set of wheels with worn tyres I'd do so straight away but I didn't need winters last year and my spare set of wheels have Goodyear F1s on which aren't very worn at all. And on the original Contis, even after 15k miles I have 4.5mm front/5.5mm rear left so I don't want to throw those away yet.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

You'll just have to get another set to put winters on, obvs.
A2 derv now has winters on steels - in the boot...it's cold and breezy outside...
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Another job done in the dark.

I need to go pickup the girl later so will see how sideways (unplanned) I get when leaving the driveway compared to this morning's effort.

Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Looks like your timing is good at least!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:11 pm Looks like your timing is good at least!
Yip, perfect timing. Especially with a couple of early morning flights next week to get to and more snow due.
Cheers,

Mike.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Or just do this.. SJ could probably knock one up out of spare parts

Cheers,

Ian
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

SERIOUS track work.