Ebay AI Descriptions

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Ebay AI Descriptions

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ebay has a new feature to use so-called "AI" to write item descriptions, and it's totally obvious which are AI generated as they're always an identical format: a short paragraph then a slightly longer paragraph, both total waffle, neither of them telling you anything about the condition or performance of the item.

Is the seller responsible if the AI make promises it can't keep ? This in one particular caught my eye today:
Whether you're cruising down the highway or stuck in traffic, this amplifier is guaranteed to give you an audio experience that will leave you thoroughly impressed.
Guaranteed ? That's a pretty strong word. Do I get a refund if I'm not "thoroughly impressed" ?
nuttinnew

Re: Ebay AI Descriptions

Post by nuttinnew »

:lol: What amps have you been looking at?

I'm not sure if this is AI so it might be one for the trigger words thread; https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... attachment
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

It has a "one life live it" sticker. Count me IN 8-)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:37 am :lol: What amps have you been looking at?
I'm having one of my usual new car phases of thinking about hifi stuff, researching, making lists, scouring ebay, then never actually doing it :D

In fact I'm trying to sell some of my car hifi atm, big JL amps that I bought over five years ago when doing this same exercise for my 530d. I've never installed any of them.

FWIW, the "guaranteed" amp was this one, a bit random:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335065736802
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:50 am It has a "one life live it" sticker. Count me IN 8-)
I missed that :o :(
It was the start of the ad that :x ;

"A Truly unique one-of-a-kind limited edition..."

Yep, random description for the Blaupunkt :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I suspect the T&Cs will make it clear that irrespective of how the description is arrived at, seller is responsible. Would be a rather big risk for them to take otherwise.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

A unit quantity of one makes this amplifier a unique find in the market, and it is compatible with a range of vehicle models. The brand is a reputable one, and the amplifier features impressive channels, making it an excellent choice for music lovers.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266459781081

Completely useless.
Beany

Post by Beany »

this mono (1 channel) amplifier by DLS ...... and the amplifier features impressive channels, making ...
Yup, that makes sense.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

They almost sound like Chinglish :lol: especially the "impressive channels" part
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Crossover thread, if I use the AI option for my car cover I get this. Notice the word structure is identical despite being a totally different object 😂

My description: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296026474813

"AI":
Keep your Aston Martin V8 Vantage covered and protected from the elements with this durable outdoor cover from Cover Zone. Designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, this cover is made from high-quality materials and features a custom-fit design for your car.

Whether you're storing your car for the winter or just looking for a way to protect it from the sun, rain, and other environmental factors, this Cover Zone Stormforce outdoor cover is the perfect solution. With its sleek and stylish design, it will keep your car looking great for years to come. So why wait? Order yours today and start enjoying the peace of mind that comes with knowing your car is protected!
mik

Post by mik »

It looks like the AI has been trained exclusively on 70’s - 90’s game show prize announcements.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:22 am It looks like the AI has been trained exclusively on 70’s - 90’s game show prize announcements.
Somewhere between that and QVC
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

At least it’s not trained on illiterate Facebook marketplace posts
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:08 am Crossover thread, if I use the AI option for my car cover I get this. Notice the word structure is identical despite being a totally different object 😂

My description: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296026474813

"AI":
Keep your Aston Martin V8 Vantage covered and protected from the elements with this durable outdoor cover from Cover Zone. Designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, this cover is made from high-quality materials and features a custom-fit design for your car.

Whether you're storing your car for the winter or just looking for a way to protect it from the sun, rain, and other environmental factors, this Cover Zone Stormforce outdoor cover is the perfect solution. With its sleek and stylish design, it will keep your car looking great for years to come. So why wait? Order yours today and start enjoying the peace of mind that comes with knowing your car is protected!
I'm seeing an increasing amount of youtube videos 'worded' like this - ChatGPT, tell me about the DeWalt DM961* and why it's the best drill to buy - then feed that into a modern text to speech system, rip footage of the device/show/game from other peoples content, and then fill the description with keywords so it goes to the top of the searches.

* or whatever they're current one is, I don't fucking know
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

It is fuelled by petrol and has a powerful 56-66 kW (75.04 - 88.44 hp) horse power engine size of 698
Very insightful. Is helpful.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375065518650
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:roll:
Stop looking at things like that to tinker with, you'll make me want to put an order in.
Beany

Post by Beany »

high-quality vehicle
LOL, my Puma was better put together than the inside of a Smart Roadster. And the two people I know who've owned them spent about as much time in hire cars as they did in the actual car.
John

Post by John »

This reminded me of this thread

"This stunning Volkswagen Beetle is a classic car lover's dream! With only 36,000 miles on the clock, this hatchback is in excellent condition and has been well maintained over the years. Its beautiful pink exterior is sure to turn heads, making it the perfect addition to any car collection. Featuring a manual transmission, 4 seats, and a 1.3L engine, this Beetle is both practical and stylish. It comes with a V5C registration document and doesn't need an MOT expiry. Don't miss your chance to own this timeless piece of automotive history!"

:lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ :roll: :lol: I might have seen that ad, does it say it needs (a fair bit of) work to get back on the road?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

That advert is basically one big trade descriptions act fail :lol: