British Ryanairways...

V8Granite

Re: British Ryanairways...

Post by V8Granite »

British airways have shit customer service, shit luggage issues, and ver sell flights and are generally shit. I haven’t flown with them since the last fiasco of……

Plane late leaving, no communication.
No meal as promised.
No communication about luggage.
Luggage returned at 02:00 at home.
Awful customer service.

Along with Lufthansa they also seem to allow people to take whatever cabin baggage they want on and then expect those with only one bag to pop it under their seat, no thanks, not my issue.

Qantas have been great of late and oddly Norwegian have always been really good for me.

Dave!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I meant to add - use opentable for restaurant reservations and TickPick for last minute tickets for shows etc.

Have a great time!
Cheers,

Ian
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Also Robert Sietsema is one of the cool NYC food critics who covers some of the more local food places so look him up for more off the beaten track recommendations https://ny.eater.com/authors/robert-sie ... l0GG10qZpE
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Gavster wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:39 pm And Katz's deli is ridiculously expensive and a tourist trap at $30 for a sandwich but it's still a cool place to visit IMO.
I don't care - I'm a huge Pastrami fan so this is an absolute must. We've also been recommended a Thai place from a mate of my son's (who's from Thailand) called TAO - it's touristy but the food is brilliant and authentic and her New York family eat there all the time. We've also got a Steak place recommended who's name escapes me but to be honest, I'm sort of hoping we can graze on Street Food and food Trucks, rather than have sit down evening meals
[/quote]

My best experience of Katz’s was at 6am on a Saturday morning - the kids were wide awake with jet lag from the afternoon before, so we went for a walk.

What area are you staying in?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We're a couple of streets away from the south end of Central Park.

The Edge is definately on our list of places to go.

Keep the recommendations coming!! :)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I did a day just walking around Manhattan, as it seems to be a good way to take in loads of sights, from the Highline up to Central Park through MidTown, Times Square etc.

Also there's the big piano in FAO Schwarz if you want to relive a scene from Big

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

You look a lot taller on TikTok...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The high line was great in summer, not convinced it would be as much fun in December!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Rich B wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:41 pm The high line was great in summer, not convinced it would be as much fun in December!
This is a general worry, and it seems to be worrying my wife an awful lot. How much outdoor stuff we'll actually want to do, like standing outside 110 floors up! Suspect cold winds on the street corners will be the biggest challenge.
Left over crest; tightens.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

JonMad wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:41 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:41 pm The high line was great in summer, not convinced it would be as much fun in December!
This is a general worry, and it seems to be worrying my wife an awful lot. How much outdoor stuff we'll actually want to do, like standing outside 110 floors up! Suspect cold winds on the street corners will be the biggest challenge.
We were there during that beast from the east thing, it was fucking bleak! Still great though. I feel like a bit of snow conjures up images of all those classic movies in New York.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:07 pm
JonMad wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:41 pm
We were there during that beast from the east thing, it was fucking bleak! Still great though. I feel like a bit of snow conjures up images of all those classic movies in New York.
No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing choices! 😉

Also, dinny is going this weekend and it’s still mid to high teens (oC) next week! 😁
Cheers,

Ian
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah, pretty much same as here at the moment. We should be OK.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I spent nearly two months over Dec/Jan in NYC when it was really cold and snowy, you just need to take thermals and a nice long warm coat - it really does need to be long, because you want to trap that heat and protect your legs from the wind too. You're totally right that the worst part is turning a corner and getting an icey blast in your face, the wind can be savage. At the same time you get sunny days, we walked the Highline and did a lot of other wandering around town in general. I guess it made us that extra bit more grateful for a warm cafe, bar or restaurant. Also remember the subway is heated, so is a good way to get around that's warmer than street level.

These are the kinds of coats I saw a lot of local wearing

IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Hey Dinny, hope you’re enjoying New York. I see the temp is getting up to 26oC over the next week! Enjoy.

Did you manage to see the 4 ship F-18 slow/low. fly past down the Hudson? I was sat at Bluestone cafe on Chelsea pier as they flew past! 😎😎

Try to get to the Oscar Wilde pub this week, their Halloween decorations are excellent!
Cheers,

Ian
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yep we did indeed - we were down at Ground Zero as they flew past. It was pretty cool.

I can’t believe the weather. Shorts and T-Shirts a week away from November.

Going to Strawberry Fields / Dakota Building this morning and then Shopping for the afternoon. God help my credit card…😂

Will check out that pub - Missus love’s Halloween
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

One World Observatory is brill and we’ll worth a visit.

Little tip - you should record a video of the little introductory vid before going out into the observatory proper.. ;)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

And I can’t get over the amount of weed. It’s everywhere. Dispensaries yeah but People just toking away as they walk down the street

And last night, copped a couple of lads selling pre rolled joints on the street corner. They had a stall and everything!!

I guess it could have been oregano but still, nearby cops doing nothing . Regan would be turning in his grave!!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I thought I’d mentioned the smell of weed in this thread but no - just to everyone else I’ve talked to about our holiday in June. It’s very pervasive now in NYC.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:09 pm And I can’t get over the amount of weed. It’s everywhere. Dispensaries yeah but People just toking away as they walk down the street
Vegas was nuts for weed. I swear we were on a permanent contact high for the whole long weekend. The fact its legal, added to being able to drink from a can or bottle as you go about your business made for a very relaxed atmosphere, although to the point where things were slowing to a standstill when queuing in stores and the like....

We've not been to New York in a long time but are going to take the kids there next year so this thread has come at a good time for me to start putting stuff into notes. We got engaged there & married there so will be good to go back.

I didn't think BA charged to sit together, but did charge if you wanted to change your seats x number of days from a flight, but maybe there's a lot of variables at play. Or maybe I just didn't notice it!
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Ascender wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:16 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:09 pm And I can’t get over the amount of weed. It’s everywhere. Dispensaries yeah but People just toking away as they walk down the street
Vegas was nuts for weed. I swear we were on a permanent contact high for the whole long weekend. The fact its legal, added to being able to drink from a can or bottle as you go about your business made for a very relaxed atmosphere, although to the point where things were slowing to a standstill when queuing in stores and the like....

We've not been to New York in a long time but are going to take the kids there next year so this thread has come at a good time for me to start putting stuff into notes. We got engaged there & married there so will be good to go back.

I didn't think BA charged to sit together, but did charge if you wanted to change your seats x number of days from a flight, but maybe there's a lot of variables at play. Or maybe I just didn't notice it!
That’s the kybosh on going to vegas, the stench from weed makes me feel sick and I simply don’t want to be around it, disgusting.

A few people have mentioned it now. Weed just hangs in the air far worse than regular smokers and smells.

Dave!