Forza Motorsport

scotta

Re: Forza Motorsport

Post by scotta »

dan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:13 pm Helpfully Simlab (who make and sell these things) have dimensioned drawings of their rigs on their website so I just ordered a load of extrusion from a supplier over here and knocked it up.
I on the other hand just bought a GT Omega one. I don't have a fully functioning workshop to make one :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

dan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:38 pm
The mug holder is a class touch. 8-)
Banal Vapid Platitudes
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Would absolutely get one of these Sony F355 Challenge cabs if I had the space.

An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Had a quick play this morning, seems to run ok. Defaults to 60fps v-sync, no unlimited option so can’t see how much headroom there is, system stayed nice and quiet so can’t have been pushing it too hard.

Didn’t even notice that the trees are now fully 3D which several reviews have been very keen to point out. Only done the two opening demo runs and the first race in my Subaru.

Hope to get a bit more into it tonight
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:52 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:33 pm Just realised I have a very solid desk in my office, so I could probably attach a wheel to that. And it's height adjustable so I could probably get a decent seating position on it...

I will not piss £500 into a wheel setup,
I will not piss £500 into a wheel setup,
I will not piss £500 into a wheel setup....

(I think it'd be more than £500 for a decent one anyway, so no, I actually won't)
Logitech G29 clamped to a desk is all you need. It’s about 10 times more enjoyable than on a controller.
Add a Playseat Challenge to that and it’s about as perfect as you can get on a budget.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Stop....tempting...meeee.....
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:02 am Stop....tempting...meeee.....
But is only a waffle-thin force-feedback wheel…..
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm starting to dig the new levelling system.

I ran through the trackday championship a couple of times and ended up with so many points that I could do some visual mods without worrying about "wasting money".

Put a Bomex kit and Work Meisters on on my Mr 2
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:02 am Stop....tempting...meeee.....
Playseat only £189 and folds away for space. Looks odd but very comfy, done 2 hour races in mine.

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/plays ... 78733.html
Beany

Post by Beany »

Again, legit don't think I have space for that.....sadly? :lol:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:41 am Again, legit don't think I have space for that.....sadly? :lol:
Evonomics... Get a bigger house.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:47 am
Beany wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:41 am Again, legit don't think I have space for that.....sadly? :lol:
Evonomics... Get a bigger house.
Moving house so I can play BeamNG twice a month a bit better. That really *is* evonomics 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I wouldn’t bother for BeamMG, it’s not very good on a wheel.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Played a few more hours of FM last night.

It’s ok. More of the same really, would have been a bit annoyed if it wasn’t on game pass and I’d spent a chunk of money on it.

I’m not sure if my eyes are broken, but visually I’m struggling to see any improvements over the previous one, if anything in many areas it looks worse. In some races the lighting doesn’t make anything look any more realistic, it’s just makes it annoying to see where you’re going and bleaches out a lot of detail, and the shadow mapping is very odd.

You get nice light effects with shadow cast by the headlights at night, but if a car is behind you your whole interior gets illuminated which just wouldn’t happen unless everything following you was a massive 4x4. Then you get weird things like the inside rear wheel rim on another car which should be in dark shadow standing out brightly as if in direct sunlight. Why are the brake lights on my cooper s white?

The frame rate seems up and down all over the place, yet my system isn’t getting very warm so it’s not pushing it that hard. Horizon 5 looks to have far more detail and move things at a faster rate over an open world landscape while staying far more stable.

Not a fan of the hand holding, or having to wait to modify cars. If I’ve got the cash why can’t I stick a suspension kit on it? Some of the car models are starting to show their age too, with the same slightly off proportions they’ve had for the last few games.

I was getting bored of it until I got to the race where you can choose an e30 m3. Unlocked the racing gearbox after the first race, stacked the gears nice and tight and had a great race in the wet.

Of course I’ll keep playing, it’s Forza and I like Forza. Somehow they manage to get the cars to feel different even with a pad, and the car movement and field of view in the follow cam position are spot on. Both things I really didn’t like about the last few GT games I played.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

2gb patch today, changed the car points setup so it’s much quicker to level up a car. Doesn’t mention anything about graphics in the notes, but graphics seem more stable, but also had my first major glitch and complete game crash.

One thing I hadn’t realised / thought about, if you buy a second car the same as one you already have it starts at level 1, so you have to use it to unlock parts for it! A right pain if you like to have a couple of versions of a car you like to fit into certain classes.

Someone also pointed out that for online races where you all have to use the same car, if you’ve not used that one before it starts at level 1 so you’re going to be at a huge disadvantage straight away over people who’ve already levelled up and tuned theirs. On older games you could just do a quick upgrade for some credits and get somewhere close.
Cheers, Harry
scotta

Post by scotta »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:17 am 2gb patch today, changed the car points setup so it’s much quicker to level up a car. Doesn’t mention anything about graphics in the notes, but graphics seem more stable, but also had my first major glitch and complete game crash.

One thing I hadn’t realised / thought about, if you buy a second car the same as one you already have it starts at level 1, so you have to use it to unlock parts for it! A right pain if you like to have a couple of versions of a car you like to fit into certain classes.

Someone also pointed out that for online races where you all have to use the same car, if you’ve not used that one before it starts at level 1 so you’re going to be at a huge disadvantage straight away over people who’ve already levelled up and tuned theirs. On older games you could just do a quick upgrade for some credits and get somewhere close.
It was me - the online touringcar races set all the cars back to their basePI and remove any upgrades. So out the box this means that the Subrau is basically useless. I was just getting driven past on the straights.

RE - Different setups for different classes. You can do that with the same car using the setup manager.
scotta

Post by scotta »

scotta

Post by scotta »

I hope they upgrade the car radar system. Driving with in car view its basically impossible to tell where other cars are.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The more I play the more I realise it’s a bit shit. Yes I know this is me being a moany old man, but given how long it’s taken to come out it’s pretty disappointing.

They say it’s a ground up build, I’m no expert but that smells like bullshit! So many of the car models are clearly carried over, some from the 360 games, they may have rebuilt the tracks with new scenery and changed the profile of some curbs, but they’re still way too similar to the old versions to have been worth making again from scratch.

A lot of the menus are uglier, the low res terrible quality pictures on the car select screen, what on earth is that all about? Most of the cars have black headlights!? ( it’s not just a pic thing either, they look the same on vids I’ve seen on Xbox ) why can’t you rotate the car models in the tuning screens? You choose wheels and see a really poorly lit side on view of one, in the old one you could see the whole car and spin it around, same with the body modifications.

The car paint selections are exactly the same as before, just basic colours then the same selection of ‘specials’ I’m sure in some of the old 360 versions you could choose a solid or metallic colour.

Ai is pretty poor. You can crank up the difficulty to make it challenging, but they still do very strange things when you’re close by or near to each other and will often brake right on the apex of a fast corner for no reason.

I don’t know, it’s all a bit half arsed and rushed. The car list is odd too. Given how many cars there already are in the Forza library what you get and what’s left out doesn’t make much sense. Alfa Romeo - the only car is a giulietta. None of the classics, none of the race cars, no M3 rivalling Giulia, just a 2010s Guilietta hatchback. No lancia either, so no stratos, o37 or integrale. The series loves its 80s silhouette racers so why no montecarlo turbo?

In career mode there aren’t even any races where you use an actual race car! It’s Forza Motorsport not Forza trackday sim!

All in all, some very strange decisions.
Cheers, Harry